• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I'm Saving A Boat Load at Dick's on Shotgun Shells

Rio's suck! I shot a round of skeet last night and 4 out of 25 failed to fire. At that rate, Rio's are the most expensive boxes you can buy!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you've got a problem with your shot gun.

Over the years, I have shot 100's of thousands of rounds which include most popular shells made from most manufacturers, and I've had exactly three shells not touch off on the first hit. One of the three fired when hit a second time, the other two once dissected ended up having no material in the primer cups, one was a Winchester AA, the other a Remington Gun Club.

Over the last year and a half I have gone through no fewer than 25 cases of Rio 12GA, and another 15 cases or Rio 20GA with no issues what so ever.

I shop at Dick's often. Here is, from my experience how they do it:

1. You go to the lodge, they ask you for your LTC (they check the date of expiration)
2. They hand you the ammo
3. They radio other store employees letting them know a box of ammo is heading towards the register (which really pisses me off)
4. At the register, they ask to see your LTC. I have been told by the cashier, they enter your LTC # for record keeping.

This holds true for most Dick's I have been to in MA. The only exception is one that the guy didn't let me touch the ammo to bring it to the register. HE had to bring it to the register. I think that was in Saugus. Needless to say, I didn't go back again.

Dick's is great because if you do the survey, they give you 10 bucks. However, it is extremely annoying that they treat you like a criminal with the whole "heads up, ammo box heading towards the register" bullshit.

My good friend was just telling me last night how much the Rio's suck.
A few guys that I shoot with have had problems with them ejecting, personally I've never had a problem with them. One thing that I don't like about them is that they tend to be a little dirtier than Gun Club or Super X, for an extra $2 a case I'll buy those instead......

Rio's suck! My son and I shot a round of skeet last night and 4 out of 25 failed to fire. At that rate, Rio's are the most expensive boxes you can buy!

Ummm, You've got gun issues. That rate of FTF isnt even heard of in a box of crap. I have shot thousands or Rios and even used them in registered shoots and never had a single problem. I have total faith in the shell when I step in the box and have the wins to prove it.

Dicks does not enter your LTC# into their computer.

They enter a date of birth. The computer is setup this way to require the cashier checks that you have a LTC/FID.
I'm on my phone right now, but I have a saved email somewhere from dicks corporate explaining their policy

Oh my ****ing God people. They DO NOT Take down your license number! All they do is type in your DOB. Your license number is longer then your DOB. I have never once ever had my license number taken down at any dicks ever.

Dicks does not enter your LTC# into their computer.

They enter a date of birth. The computer is setup this way to require the cashier checks that you have a LTC/FID.
I'm on my phone right now, but I have a saved email somewhere from dicks corporate explaining their policy

Which if you think about it would make a lot of sense in states where no license of any type is required for ammo as long as the buyer is over a certain age.

Dick's has their policies.

Last Fall I bought my son a bike there. It was assembled, etc, and they wanted me to fill out and sign this waiver that someone would always wear a helmet, blah blah blah. I looked at the sales kid and said firmly, and politely, NO, I will not fill that out. I managed to ride a bike throughout my entire childhood with no helmet, and I'm still here.

He escalated to his manager, who looked to be about 18 years old. SHE said, why can't you just fill it out.....like it's not a big deal.(insert about 15 more 'likes' into the sentence). Again, I said, politely, that I wasn't interested in executing a contract, I was there to purchase a bike.

Finally the MoD, the Dick's grad poobah of the day got involved. I said 'I want to buy a bike. Will you sell it to me, or not?' He wrote 'customer refused to sign' on the safety doc, handed it to me, and i was out the door.

Sometimes you need to tilt at the windmills, because WTF.

Last note: if I had the time, I would have bought locally/non-box store, but the freaking bankers' hours the shops kept made someone who works for a living a non-starter. It didn't seem worth taking a vacation day for.

I also escalated the ltc issue to management about a year ago. Informed them that I was only required to present my ltc and they had no duty to record. At the time their system asked for an ltc number, I told them I would give one verbally but on no case would I surrender my ltc. Manager had no issue with this and I gave a bogus number.
In great need of 22lr I broke down and returned to find they now only ask for a DOB and presentation of the ltc.
Problem solved with a polite conversation.

This is in the Taunton location

My good friend was just telling me last night how much the Rio's suck.

I used metric tons of RIO Buckshot in my Rem 1100 Tactical a few years ago. Biggest downside with them is their retardo crimping method, which makes the shells "functionally longer" than they need to be. Which, on some guns, will reduce your capacity by one shell.

-Mike

I just picked up a few cases at the Shoppes @ Blackstone Valley Dicks. They told me the sale didn't start until Sunday. They checked with a manager and she agreed to let me have them for the sale price. Poor kid at the register had to go in and manually change the price for all 40 items. Oh well, I got my shells.

Oh my ****ing God people. They DO NOT Take down your license number! All they do is type in your DOB. Your license number is longer then your DOB. I have never once ever had my license number taken down at any dicks ever.

This.

But I generally try to buy at Rileys. Unless I'm at Dicks in NH.

The Rio stuff has always worked fine for me.

I've personally never had a problem with Rio's in my Winchester Super X Model 1 or my 1100 Competition, but 2 guys on my trap team couldn't cycle them properly in their Browning BPS (trap model) or Browning Maxus. I still consider Rio's the Tula Ammo of trap shells, ymmv......

My BT99 cycles them just fine [smile] I have noticed that two or three shells per box will not have an BB's in the shell, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I went to North Attleboro this AM. They are in a "different zone" than the Boston area stores and do not have the same sale. They had 4-5 cases of 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz. in stock, but they would only sell 1 case per customer at the discounted price. Not worth driving another 40 minutes R/T to save the $15.

Wasted trip!!! [frown]

Hopefully this will save NES members from doing the same.

If a limit was not listed in the ad I would have asked to speak to management and let them know that you made a special trip to save money and that you are not pleased with their decision to only sell you 1 case at the discounted price.

I went to North Attleboro this AM. They are in a "different zone" than the Boston area stores and do not have the same sale. They had 4-5 cases of 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz. in stock, but they would only sell 1 case per customer at the discounted price. Not worth driving another 40 minutes R/T to save the $15.

Wasted trip!!! [frown]

Hopefully this will save NES members from doing the same.

Only had a few <6 boxes left of #8's as of 4PM Saturday.. picked up 10 for myself, cashier just asked for my CC... that's all.... :)

Its hilarious that when I started this post there was a sale at Dicks. Im not even sure its still going on and people still are going off on this thread. Haha

Back
Top Bottom