I'm Saving A Boat Load at Dick's on Shotgun Shells

If you're looking for cheap shotgun shells there is a sale on Rio's right now at Dick's Sporting goods.

Last edited:
I got my fill and felt a little bit obligated to pass the info along to fellow NESers. They did not ask for my license number today but have in the past.

I understand about the LTC number thing. I dont like it one bit but I kind of figured the government and anybody else who wants to know can find out if you have an LTC so why not save the dough.

I just don't support their policy to record my license number for a purchase of ammo. As such and even if it costs me a bit more I support businesses that are like minded. I'm not criticizing anyone who purchases firearms and related items from there. It's just a personal choice I made. If you are ok with that and it's saving you some cash then by all means...why not...

I just don't support their policy to record my license number for a purchase of ammo. As such and even if it costs me a bit more I support businesses that are like minded. I'm not criticizing anyone who purchases firearms and related items from there. It's just a personal choice I made. If you are ok with that and it's saving you some cash then by all means...why not...

Just curious ............. Have you personally had Dick's record your license number when purchasing ammo?

I never have.

As far as I can tell they are checking three things, the first is expiration date of your LTC, the second is your date of birth (which is what they enter into the register), and the third is a prompt to verify that you are a US citizen(takes place on the credit card swiper thingy).

I get it, most people here don't like giving out any more information than is absolutely necessary or required, but I don't see it as a big deal in this case. If I had to guess, being a nation wide retailer, they are trying to comply with laws from multiple states and have adopted a policy that they thinks works for all stores.

*this is the way it has gone down at both Brockton, and Dedham stores each time I have gone

Get a score card too I buy all my 9mm there every 300 points they send a check redeemable there increasing in 10 dollar increments last time I got 30 bucks off with a coupon I paid like 15 bucks for Remington 250 pack umc

Just curious ............. Have you personally had Dick's record your license number when purchasing ammo?

I never have.

As far as I can tell they are checking three things, the first is expiration date of your LTC, the second is your date of birth (which is what they enter into the register), and the third is a prompt to verify that you are a US citizen(takes place on the credit card swiper thingy).

I get it, most people here don't like giving out any more information than is absolutely necessary or required, but I don't see it as a big deal in this case. If I had to guess, being a nation wide retailer, they are trying to comply with laws from multiple states and have adopted a policy that they thinks works for all stores.

*this is the way it has gone down at both Brockton, and Dedham stores each time I have gone

Well, I shopped for ammo once at the Dedham store. At the register they took my license and keyed some numbers. Did I personally see what was keyed? No. This was at the front register so I assumed they did not have access to licensing info. to verify anything. The guy who gave me the ammo just did a quick glance like at any other gun shop. So my perception of the situation is that they keyed my license number into their register. I never bought a gun there but as a result of what I perceived at my one ammo purchase I no longer buy ammo there either.

I have a good friend who works there in both checkout and the lodge and I have never actually asked him what they are entering when they look at my LTC. I'll do that next time I see him.

FWIW - Rio shells are now being made stateside in TN, the company is headquartered in Spain

There shells are just as good as any other of the promotional shells (Winchester, Federal, and Remington)

The only downside I can think of is for reloading, the Rio cases are a bit peculiar in several ways and as such I would never bother trying to reload them.

Correct, Rio's are not good for reloading but other than that they go bang every time. Some people talk a lot of crap about Rio's but I have never had a problem with them and have used them in competitions with no problem whatsoever. They are one of the cheaper shotgun shells out there but they work.

Yet we have a mega thread on dicks ammo sales and availability..... Guy was just trying to report some cheap prices on ammo. No wonder everyone calls us "gun nuts".

They work okay in my semi-auto trap gun, but I do not use them in competition. I really don't know how to explain it, but the RIO's give me some kind of "push" that annoys me.

Op thanks for the heads up. I shoot a few rounds a week recreationally and will stop by to save some cash. Did you notice if they were 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz loads? My browning a5 likes the heavy load

Shot Rios a lot several years ago... distributor club uses would have sales every now and then. I bought 10 cases shot it all. Semi, pump, O/U. Ran fine. Busted clays like any other shell.
Thanks for the heads up.

Rios work.

If you've not used them, get some and try them. It's not as precise as a .22 target pistol liking one brand over another, but some guns do seem to have an affinity for Brand X v. Brand Y. Or how it feels to the shooter.

I'm cheap. The less I pay for the ammo, the better it works! [laugh]

yeah, I stopped shopping ammo at dicks because they recorded my ltc number....

So I just want to make what I believe is a correction. Another poster contacted me privately and informed me that Dick's does not record the LTC for an ammo purchase.

Just to clarify, the actions with regard to my own experience there the cashier was looking at my ltc and keying in the register. My assumptions was that they were recording my ltc for that ammo purchase. So I am not trying to spread mis-information and if I did I apologize. I have never experienced that behavior with an ammo purchase anywhere else other than at that Dicks' store in Dedham. So again...my apologies.

My good friend was just telling me last night how much the Rio's suck.

Rio's suck! My son and I shot a round of skeet last night and 4 out of 25 failed to fire. At that rate, Rio's are the most expensive boxes you can buy!

ETA: This was 410 shells in a single shot shotgun. Gun was functioning properly. The caps on the failure to fire shells were struck just as well as the ones that did fire.

I'll avoid Rio in the future.

Last edited:
So I just want to make what I believe is a correction. Another poster contacted me privately and informed me that Dick's does not record the LTC for an ammo purchase.

Just to clarify, the actions with regard to my own experience there the cashier was looking at my ltc and keying in the register. My assumptions was that they were recording my ltc for that ammo purchase. So I am not trying to spread mis-information and if I did I apologize. I have never experienced that behavior with an ammo purchase anywhere else other than at that Dicks' store in Dedham. So again...my apologies.
Its a know fact they enter ltc at pos

sent wth crapatalk please pardon any autosubjects

Its a know fact they enter ltc at pos

sent wth crapatalk please pardon any autosubjects

Admittedly I did not ask what they were doing, it only made sense to me that is what they did.

Seems they still have some good prices there and if people are fine with that practice if they in fact do this then people should look for those savings.

Back
Top Bottom