• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Im in the market for a new firearm im open for suggestions.

I am looking to purchase a new firearm looking to spend around a thousand dollars or possibly more for the right firearm. I have my eyes on a few things but would love to hear some options from people. I currently own a h&k vp9 love it and also own a mossberg 500 scorpion 12 gauge. I think next I'd like some type of long gun or perhaps a 1911 i dont hunt i shoot mainly for fun.

in $1000 price range,

Sig 1911 - whichever model you like. fantastic 1911. reliable. great front-strap checkering. shoots like a dream.

long gun - mini 14 tactical with accu-strut and a bushnell TRS-25. whole package can be had for ~ $1000. Add a hogue overmolded stock and some extra mags and you have one great 0-200 yard rifle that eats shitty steel ammo all day long. if considering a bolt action checkout the ruger american ranch 5.56. lovely rifle. smooth and accurate. great for the range.

OP where are you located? MA? NH? Other?

Agree with the 1911 suggestion. I have and love my Sig. There are loads of options in the $1000 range. Do you have a revolver? Ruger GP100 or S&W Model 66 in .357/.38spl can be had for well under your target price, leaving you $$ for ammo.

As for a rifle, see if you can find a nice AR with a dot sight, or decent variable-power scope, from a private seller. If you're fearful of the MA AG, then the Mini-14 as suggested above is a decent option for semi-automatic. Lots of bolt-action rifles available for that price range. Savage, Remington, Ruger, and more are available with cash left over for a Nikon or similar optic.

Last edited:
A .22 can be a lot of fun and allows for a lot of shooting for not much money.

There are only a couple rifles I have not really loved and fewer still I ever sold. The ones I sold were mostly due to the price of ammo being high enough that I was not shooting them much.

I think you should look at what you consider fun. I grew up watching westerns and love my lever actions and a cowboy action pit.. I also enjoy a bolt action with a nice scope and a place that has over 100 yards to play with. I enjoy semi autos when I have a place where I can set up multiple targets and have fun with transitions.

Think about where you shoot, how you shoot and what you enjoy.

In your price, you could get a Ruger 10/22 and American .22 and share mags and ammo. A couple scopes or Reddots could also be in that budget and you could have a lot of shooting fun for short money.

Oops sorry forgot to mention i live in MA.

OP where are you located? MA? NH? Other?

Agree with the 1911 suggestion. I have and love my Sig. There are loads of options in the $1000 range. Do you have a revolver? Ruger GP100 or S&W Model 66 in .357/.38spl can be had for well under your target price, leaving you $$ for ammo.

As for a rifle, see if you can find a nice AR with a dot sight, or decent variable-power scope, from a private seller. If you're fearful of the MA AG, then the Mini-14 as suggested above is a decent option for semi-automatic. Lots of bolt-action rifles available for that price range. Savage, Remington, Ruger, and more are available with cash left over for a Nikon or similar optic.

For reason i dont know to myself but im not a fan of revolvers. I would love a Ar15 but i dont want to be a "criminal" or possibly get screwed when my renewal is up for my ltc. I just checked into the mini-14 and im kind of digging it. The thing with the 1911 is i think ill always have the option to purchase one id like to build something.

Mini 14s can be fun and the new ones have better accuracy than in the past.

1911s are just fun. Everyone who owns firearms for fun should have one.

Ruger and S&W are good values in MA for 1911s.

When you say build something, were you talking 1911s, or were you looking at building something else? From scratch or assemble parts you like? Meaning how much machining and fitting are you comfortable with?

... The thing with the 1911 is i think ill always have the option to purchase one id like to build something.

I was watching some television show which covered Larry Vickers' 1911 build class, and thought that looked like something I'd really like to try. That was a few years ago, and I still don't own my 1911, yet. There're other 1911 build classes out there, but I have yet to commit to one.

My suggestion to anyone in Massachusetts who thinks they might be interested in a rifle is to buy a Mini-14, and do it sooner than later. We really don't know what the future holds in Massachusetts. I am not expecting any significant changes to the status quo for years, since it will take that long for the mess with the attorney general works its way through the courts. But you really never know what is going to happen, and It is always good to be ahead of the game if possible.

The Mini-14 is not my favorite rifle, but they are a good, solid, and serviceable semi-auto rifle chambered for 5.56. Everyone who like rifles should own something in this class. If you are in Massachusetts, and you think you eventually want a decent rifle, then I can't see any advantages in waiting.

Mini 14s can be fun and the new ones have better accuracy than in the past.

1911s are just fun. Everyone who owns firearms for fun should have one.

Ruger and S&W are good values in MA for 1911s.

When you say build something, were you talking 1911s, or were you looking at building something else? From scratch or assemble parts you like? Meaning how much machining and fitting are you comfortable with?

I was talking about building a rifle im pretty new to the scene and im not sure how much work truly goes into builds, I really love diy task.

My suggestion to anyone in Massachusetts who thinks they might be interested in a rifle is to buy a Mini-14, and do it sooner than later. We really don't know what the future holds in Massachusetts. I am not expecting any significant changes to the status quo for years, since it will take that long for the mess with the attorney general works its way through the courts. But you really never know what is going to happen, and It is always good to be ahead of the game if possible.

The Mini-14 is not my favorite rifle, but they are a good, solid, and serviceable semi-auto rifle chambered for 5.56. Everyone who like rifles should own something in this class. If you are in Massachusetts, and you think you eventually want a decent rifle, then I can't see any advantages in waiting.

Mini 14 = A-Team approved!
esvjJKN.jpg

I was talking about building a rifle im pretty new to the scene and im not sure how much work truly goes into builds, I really love diy task.

Well, ARs are simple for anone who is at all mechanically inclined but obviously a bit of a problem these days.

You can buy some bolt actions part by part and build the way you want, but look close at how the barrel attaches to the action as it may require special tools.

There are also lots of .22 rifles that are easy to mix and match parts to build what you want.

Troy's pump action AR? Apparently four seasons got some in .308. I guess at that point you might as well just get a bolt gun. Ruger Precision Rifle?

1911 is always a good option too. Lots of options in your price range.

Back
Top Bottom