• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I'm dry

SKS Ray

NES Member
Well, I never thought it would happen but I think I've peaked.[hmmm]
I've actually reached that level of collecting where I have pretty much 1 or a few of everything I've wanted, and now some of those items aren't appealing to me anymore. Minutes ago I was looking at a No1 Mk3 Enfield I have and thought "Do I really want to keep this?!"
Cooler heads prevailed though and knowing how much I awlays wanted a nice one, I put it back on the shelf and closed the door.
Problem is there isn't that much else out there I want. Actually there isn't that much else available at cheap prices I want.[smile]
With the exception of honor guard, East german, or North Korean/Vietnamese SKS rifles, I have nothing else to actually strive for now. Unless I see a G/K 43 semi auto for under $600. I know, I know, but hey... people have found rifles just as rare for cheap $$$.[grin]

I feel your pain.......BUT there is ALWAYS something that comes along.....

I felt the same way, I refused an Enfield the other day that was VERY nice but just couldn't bring myself to open my wallet.
Then I saw a nice Winchester 1917 and got that and then a nice 1903 I'm working on and then.........and then.......(in my best movie drive thru voice)

There is always something! I just save until it comes along!

BTW I need to go to the range and try some of these out, gimme a call!

Now that you got all the cheap guns out of the way you need to work yourself into a new price bracket.

Lol.. For my collection, my mentality was to grab all the cheap guns while they're still cheap. [laugh]

Though I'd love a nice $1000 rifle, I like having 5 $200 rifles better [grin]
One of the reasons I got into milsurps in the first place was that flintlocks & percussions were getting too expensive for me to continue building up my collection, so now instead of 1 or 2 guns per year, I can get 1 per month.

This month though, I splurged & picked up 3. A Swiss Vetterli, an Argentine M91 & a Chileano 1895.

I got a long list of different rifles I'd want, so will be a very long time before I'm ever on the same level as Milsurps 4 Me. I saw his photos of his vault he built & I was so impressed & I began daydreaming of my someday when mine will be something like that.

Sounds like time to take up a new hobby; like saaaaay..... 'black rifle disease' [wink] (which can be expensive, but very satisfying and rewarding also).

Start with ones that utilize wood as part of the construction and work your way up from there. That way, the transition and milsurp jones will be more acceptable. [smile]

I'm not peaked but the area is pretty much picked over for what I want. The auctions have some stuff but I prefer to have my sticky fingers on the merchandise before I give out the cash!

Last Mosin I grabbed was a 1938 Tula M91/30 with the MO marks on the barrel. Condition was good and I got it for $129 + tax

The only regret I have in the area was the SVT-40 I let go because I wasn't sure if I wanted it. Price was $425... [crying]

Joe R>

My tastes always seem to shift. I have a nice sprinkling of modern and Milsurps and I never know what I'll want next. For some reason I'm really jonesing to get a lever action rifle in 38/357. I'm thinking a Puma with a 24' octagon bbl. Last month I was itching to get an over under and I'm still on the fence about getting a C&R CZ82.

The problem I have now though is that my competing hobbie, golf, has me desiring a new driver. Damn expensive, those suckers [thinking] Hummmm, I'm in a quandry as to where my limited funds should go. Guns or golf? Both can be used as a weapon and both can be just as frustrating.

I didn't think I wanted anything else in milsurps,....then I went to see a private collection today.

OMFG!
I now need a gastrap Garand
a Lend-Lease Garand
An M1-C
an Arisaka sniper
an 88 sniper
an Enfield Mk 4 sniper
a repeating enfield .22 trainer
several dozen Lugers
several dozen 1911's
it just went on and on.

Last month I was itching to get an over under and I'm still on the fence about getting a C&R CZ82.

The problem I have now though is that my competing hobbie, golf, has me desiring a new driver. Damn expensive, those suckers [thinking] Hummmm, I'm in a quandry as to where my limited funds should go. Guns or golf? Both can be used as a weapon and both can be just as frustrating.

Damn Man! [slap] Get your CZ82 before you can't get one!

CZ82.jpg

How can you pass that up?!?

As for me... my sales rep just informed that original Enfield snipers are available w/out mounts and scopes.[shocked] I may have to push the credit card and see what I can scrounge for accessories.
Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!

You have reached a "crossroad" in collecting and now you have to decide whether to continue in the same direction, or change course. Don't be in a hurry to decide. Enjoy what you have now and put some money aside for whatever comes next. When I got all the milsurp that I wanted, I bought a bunch of nice bigbore lever actions, mostly new Winchesters but also some others.When Winchester abruptly imploded, my little collection doubled in value overnight! I'm still going to shoot them but I didn't throw the boxes and paperwork away.[wink]

I feel the sameway about my collection, but we can go around again and go thru the mosins again because there still affordable. Now we can get the mosin m38's and mosin 91/59's for a while plus the hex 91/30's and the laminated 91/30's I think its a good investment for the future of collecting down the road we can trade with newer collectors too.

We still have the russian nagants 7,62, the cz82 czech in 9mm mak and the cz52 in 7,62x25 too for handguns we can never have too many of those too.

Is our collection ever complete? Are we ever all done? Do you really have everything you want?

Collecting never ends wether its down to 1 gun a year or a few a year were still going forward and never looking back.

The modern stuff doesn't do anything for me.........except for the russian izhmash saiga's(ak47's)

Inbetween collecting C&R's I built sporters from C&R's from the barreled actions and shot out barrels. I used the orginal military stocks and added 3 post military style scopes. They look great.......after 10 coats of tung oil.

The bottomline is we sit and wait till something new comes around the corner like the awesome CZ82's. I kind of go away and comeback just to keep up with the new stuff. I like to shout it from the roof tops when i see and get a great buy too.

It will never be all over until i'm on my back looking up at the green.

There is only one way to go next too??? "FULL AUTO" Thats my last change in direction going to full auto belt fed weapons.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom