• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

If You Were Moving... (What to do with the safe?)

I would politely and nonchalantly discuss this in private with the realtor and simply refer to it as "a safe that contains items that are of a significant nature to myself, but are not particularly valuable." And I would follow what the realtor says and I would be damn sure to insure all the guns against theft.

What you have to realize that MLS means that the listing agent is frequently NOT the one showing the property. All sorts of random agents may bring people to the house. And my experiences with agents is such that I wouldn't trust many of them!

Throw a quilted movers blanket over it then wrap it with the heavy duty movers straps and if anyone asks tell them you're in the process of moving furniture out already. No one has to know what's under the blanket.

Go to Lowes or HD and ask for the boxes the refridgerators are packed in. Can cut up a few and piece together and no one would know the difference.

I am moving and I recently sold my house. All of my safes were visible during the open houses and viewings. My house was on the market for four days, so it doesn't seem to have affected the sale.

Good comments. It's in the basement, in a very out of the way corner off my work room. I may take the sticker off it for starters - not a bad idea even if we never move. Lower profile is almost always better than higher profile.

Just run down to Home Depot or Best Buy and get a fridge box and tap it to the sides

To the people that hid their safes (or are recommending doing so)... Did you hide the kitchen knives too?? How about your TV? I don't understand the 'need' to hide a farkin safe. At most, if asked about it, it doesn't go with the place (unless they pay you enough to replace it) and it's none of their farkin business what's inside it. That goes for the realtor as well as people looking at the place. If anyone asks about what's in the 'gun safe' at MOST, I would ask why they want to know. Depending on their answer, it's either going to be NoYFB or a conversation starter (for the pro-2A people).

X2
People that are looking for houses aren't the ones you need to worry about.
I'm more leery of the cable, or furnace guy. telling a friend about it...

What you have to realize that MLS means that the listing agent is frequently NOT the one showing the property. All sorts of random agents may bring people to the house. And my experiences with agents is such that I wouldn't trust many of them!
THIS. Occasionally I would run into homes where the listing agent insisted on being there for our appointment, but it was few and far between.

Also, I always made it a point to go scope out a house before requesting a viewing to avoid wasting my own agents time. On homes that we knew were unoccupied, we would often go onto the property instead of just a drive by. As Len stated earlier in this thread, on several occasions, we found these homes unlocked.

Why? Because I have no idea who is coming into my house. Anyone can go to an open house and people do...paranoid maybe but you never know who is scoping out a house. Or even if no one is, you never know who saw your house and safe and may mention it to the wrong person. I know what you are saying...I am not hiding it because I am afraid of scaring someone...I just don't trust strangers in my house I guess.

You don't have to allow open houses. They seldom sell a house. What they do is allow all the nosey neighbors to check out your place and allow people to scope out your place. It also allows the realtor to sometimes pick up new clients. Make all showings by appointment only. Then don't worry about it from there.

I'm a Realtor. I've listed and shown plenty of houses with safes. Never had anyone say anything, however this is Free Hampshire.

- - - Updated - - -

You don't have to allow open houses. They seldom sell a house. What they do is allow all the nosey neighbors to check out your place and allow people to scope out your place. It also allows the realtor to sometimes pick up new clients. Make all showings by appointment only. Then don't worry about it from there.

Truth.

Offer the safe and contents sight unseen. You can get more of both.

I'll take what's behind door number 1 please.

That has nothing to do with MLS, that has to do with the agent you hire to list your home. I personally show all my listings but I've taken many buyers to homes on lockboxes. Interestingly enough I prefer to show a home without the listing agent there, but I prefer to be there for the showing for all my listings so I can get a read on the showing/ buyers/ buyers agent (to see how much of a dunce they are).

Back
Top Bottom