If you lose/let expire your LTC can your firearms be taken away?

I was just reading another thread and I made me wonder. What happens if you lose your LTC or let it expire? Can the PD take your firearms?

If you "lose it" as in misplaced and can not find it, then just go ask for a replacement.

otherwise ......... what he said

yes but they have to allow you to sell them via FFL or FA-10 to a properly licensed person.

OK, I'm more concerned about the thought of spending all this money and then having the PD swoop in and off to the auction they go.

Any idea how long they give you to sell them?

PS
icyclefar, sorry I mean revoked :)

OK, I'm more concerned about the thought of spending all this money and then having the PD swoop in and off to the auction they go.

Any idea how long they give you to sell them?

PS
icyclefar, sorry I mean revoked :)

I'm not sure, but if you put it on consignment at a local ffl its my understanding that it would be in possession of the ffl and not you and then as long as it takes to sell. Once the ffl sells it you'd get your money.

Did you license get revoked? Not trying to be nosey, but there's a few good firearms lawyers on this board...

Not to sound like an @ss, but why would you ever let your license expire? Think of it like a driver’s license. It’s just something that you should never let go. And are you planning on doing something that would disqualify you as a LTC holder?

This is of course unless jhblaze1's statement is accurate about this info being needed after the fact...in which case I suggest not talking about it on a public forum, but rather with a qualified attorney specializing in firearms law.

Part of the problem with this question is there's no "clean" answer for it. In the case of a revocation, if there's something bad behind it (like a 209A) you can expect your guns to disappear into the hands of the PD. A lot of times all you can do is then have the guns transferred to someone else you know, or have them sent off to an FFL to be sold.

Police seizure of firearms in MA is something best preemptively avoided at all
costs.

There's also that pesky "bonded storage" problem. If a PD puts your guns
in Mr. Dowd's little shop of horrors there, expect the value of the gun to be
destroyed pretty quickly. (he charges some absurd rate to store guns in
his facility. )

-Mike

Did you license get revoked? Not trying to be nosey, but there's a few good firearms lawyers on this board...
No, I was just curious. The local PD said they are expecting mine to be in tomorrow.

Not to sound like an @ss, but why would you ever let your license expire?
I wouldn't. I have heard countless stories of renewals taking longer than expected. I believe this would leave you with an expired LTC?

Police seizure of firearms in MA is something best preemptively avoided at all
costs.

There's also that pesky "bonded storage" problem. If a PD puts your guns
in Mr. Dowd's little shop of horrors there, expect the value of the gun to be
destroyed pretty quickly. (he charges some absurd rate to store guns in
his facility. )

-Mike

ewww .. Gutta cringe at that thought!

Last edited:
If I recall, there is a grace period of 3 months (can someone confirm?) as your LTC is being renewed.

OK so a fire captain of mine gave me a Remingto 22lr that he's had since the 70's and hasn't renewed his LTC/FID since the same decade so how do i go about transfering it to me? wouldn't he be admitting that he had illegal arms for 30 years if we do a FA10?

Back
Top Bottom