Ideal Strategy for Carry in surrounding states

s4mt3k

NES Member
I have searched a lot and all I can find is particular states' laws for non-residents.

I would like to get to a point where I can travel in surrounding states (at least CT/NH/RI) without having to go home and drop off my gun first. Of course I can apply to each state as a non-resident but with reciprocity of other states, there's gotta be an ideal way to go about this.

Any opinions/advice?? Thanks in advance.

Got to get the NR licenses. And good luck getting one from RI

for each individual state or is there some license that's ideal to get that will cover some? Sounds like RI is hard to get from your comment? oh well, just another reason to stay away from RI

CT does not accept anything but their own Permit..and NH does not accept Non Resident Permits of other states (ie, Florida if you don't live there). If you have a Mass LTC you will get a CT Permit..its not true Shall Issue because we had carry permits before the "Shall Issue" wave..but its Shall Issue in nature..

Out of state residents may apply for a non resident Connecticut State Pistol Permit. Non residents apply directly to the Connecticut State Police. Call 860-685-8494 to have an application mailed out.

http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&Q=294484&dpsNav=|

Last edited:
CT does not except anything but their own Permit..and NH does accept Non Resident Permits of other states (ie, Florida if you don't live there). If you have a Mass LTC you will get a CT Permit..its not true Shall Issue because we had carry permits before the "Shall Issue" wave..but its Shall Issue in nature..

Out of state residents may apply for a non resident Connecticut State Pistol Permit. Non residents apply directly to the Connecticut State Police. Call 860-685-8494 to have an application mailed out.

Called that number, I'll be getting an application in the mail. Thank you.

None of the 5 New England states (that issue permits) accept any other New England permit under reciprocity. In general, New England refuses to cooperate with the rest of the country (not 100% but close). RI tends to deny even renewals on "insufficient reason" grounds, which means that you have to declare and explain this denial on every application for every permit in every state forever . . . thus many of us refuse to play "Russian Roulette" with RI.

NH and ME are easy to get NR permits. VT is "free to carry" territory. MA is a PITA for NRs and generally is restricting the NR permits to be useless for other than transport to a gun range. I hear CT is reasonable for NR permits, but have no need to experience that.

None of the 5 New England states (that issue permits) accept any other New England permit under reciprocity. In general, New England refuses to cooperate with the rest of the country (not 100% but close). RI tends to deny even renewals on "insufficient reason" grounds, which means that you have to declare and explain this denial on every application for every permit in every state forever . . . thus many of us refuse to play "Russian Roulette" with RI.

NH and ME are easy to get NR permits. VT is "free to carry" territory. MA is a PITA for NRs and generally is restricting the NR permits to be useless for other than transport to a gun range. I hear CT is reasonable for NR permits, but have no need to experience that.

OHH good point on the RI denial thing, didn't even think about that. I don't really need any of them I just wanted to be able to travel to surrounding states with no worry (ie Bike week in NH, camping in VT/ME...). I might not even get the CT one now considering it was going to be just a commodity... I mostly care abt NH/ME/VT

Called that number, I'll be getting an application in the mail. Thank you.

Just remember you need "live fire" in your training for a CT Permit..which I know Mass does not require..they also doubled the price recently..its 70$ for a permit now..used to be 35$...its good for 5 years..

I have both a NH/Maine License. Easy to get..I have moved a couple times..which makes the Maine one a pain..have to redo app everytime and send them new pics..even NH you have to send a letter..FL/CT are much easier..a simple email..

Last edited:
Just remember you need "live fire" in your training for a CT Permit..which I know Mass does not require..they also doubled the price recently..its 70$ for a permit now..used to be 35$...its good for 5 years..

I saw that in the link you posted... I did not have "live fire" in my training and would end up having to take a class before I apply.

I have permits from all New England states that issue them. I don't recall having any problems with the process for any of them. Even the RI process is pretty straight forwards, they just hand out a lot of denials and make you come in for an appeal. I was approved on the initial application, so it was easy.

Also, I believe there's a provision of RI law that allows you to transit parts of the state with a concealed weapon, but I'm unsure of the particulars.

I have permits from all New England states that issue them. I don't recall having any problems with the process for any of them. Even the RI process is pretty straight forwards, they just hand out a lot of denials and make you come in for an appeal. I was approved on the initial application, so it was easy.
Could I ask what your justification was to get a RI permit? Do you carry cash for business?

for each individual state or is there some license that's ideal to get that will cover some? Sounds like RI is hard to get from your comment? oh well, just another reason to stay away from RI

Each state. None of the new england states have reciprocity with one another. Vermont requires no permit of course.

-Mike

IANAL, but would think that if your concern is just not having to go home to store the gun, and you don't really have a carry requirement in the connected states, you could just store it in the trunk.

Wouldn't FOPA cover your interstate travel, since your complete itinerary starts and ends in a state you're licensed in? (As long as NY or NJ isn't on the agenda)

IANAL, but would think that if your concern is just not having to go home to store the gun, and you don't really have a carry requirement in the connected states, you could just store it in the trunk.

Wouldn't FOPA cover your interstate travel, since your complete itinerary starts and ends in a state you're licensed in? (As long as NY or NJ isn't on the agenda)

Interesting, did some google-ing on that, good to know and keep in mind.

I got the CT package for carry permit, as stated above, I need to re-take the safety course with live fire. So that's out for now. So is RI cause of what was discussed above also.

However, I do want NH/ME cause I go up north for camping, long bike rides, bike week, have friends up there, and shooting full autos (MFL)...

At the end of the day, I don't NEED any of them but would like to have the convenience if it's not at a great cost or risk (ie RI).

I would like to get to a point where I can travel in surrounding states (at least CT/NH/RI) without having to go home and drop off my gun first.

With regards to the "drop off my gun first" bit I *believe* you can enter VT, NH, and ME provided you're not carrying your handgun: unload it and lock it in a case or trunk. Not as good as carrying but better than having to drive home first!

Someone can confirm?

With regards to the "drop off my gun first" bit I *believe* you can enter VT, NH, and ME provided you're not carrying your handgun: unload it and lock it in a case or trunk. Not as good as carrying but better than having to drive home first!

Someone can confirm?

judging from the last few posts looks like you are correct. That is great if I'm driving through. Will probably make use of that law.

Well yes the Peaceable Journey Law means you can drive though a state--but not necessarily stop--provided you've secured your firearm, etc. see http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/1169-Carrying-in-Car-in-all-50-States

What I was referring to is I *believe* NH and ME only issue licenses for concealed carry so you can can legally have/use your firearms in either state without a non-resident license provided it not carried and transported appropriately. Then VT doesn't issue licenses at all so you can carry concealed there.

Last edited:
NH also is very friendly about issuing non-resident carry licenses. They last four years and cost $100.00.

A NH non-resident permit provides reciprocity with lots of other states, but unfortunately none in New England.

NH also is very friendly about issuing non-resident carry licenses. They last four years and cost $100.00.

A NH non-resident permit provides reciprocity with lots of other states, but unfortunately none in New England.

$100? Damn, I got undercharged last time.

What I was referring to is I *believe* NH and ME only issue licenses for concealed carry so you can can legally have/use your firearms in either state without a non-resident license provided it not carried and transported appropriately. Then VT doesn't issue licenses at all so you can carry concealed there.
You are correct.

Such is the norm outside your region.

I have both a NH/Maine License. Easy to get..I have moved a couple times..which makes the Maine one a pain..have to redo app everytime and send them new pics..even NH you have to send a letter..FL/CT are much easier..a simple email..

As of a year ago this info was not correct for either state. CT required a phone call, they verified my info, then told me to put some kind of a new address label on it. FL is different, I'm laying it out below.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/license/changes.html

Changes of Address
FOR CONCEALED WEAPON LICENSEES

Section 790.06(8) requires you to notify the Division of Licensing in writing within 30 days after a change of address. You can change your address online. Alternatively, you can submit your notification to us in writing at the following address:

Division of Licensing
P.O. Box 3030
Tallahassee, FL 32315-3030

Effective February 12, 2010, the Division of Licensing is no longer printing the licensee's residence address on the face of the Florida concealed weapon license. The law does not require you to obtain a revised license after a change of address. You can continue to carry your current license until it expires; however, if you would like a revised license that does not include your residence address, please send us a written request along with a check or money order in the amount of $15.00 made payable to the Division of Licensing AND a passport-type color photograph.

Florida must be notified in writing of an address change, not e-mail, but now they're not even putting your address on the license. This could lead to some interesting confusion when carrying under a CWFL in a reciprocity state; for instance, if you look at FL's reciprocity list, you'll see that several states (NH, SC, etc.) will only honor the permit reciprocity if the holder is a resident of Florida. Granted, most if not all CWFL holders have a driver's license or other photo ID with their address on it, but I could see that ending poorly in some circumstances.

No! CT is similar to PA; in almost all circumstances, it is illegal to have a handgun outside of your home without a permit, including one that is locked up and unloaded in the trunk.

Connecticut General Statutes Chapter 529 Section 29-35

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, or to any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection, "formal pistol or revolver training" means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and "transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

(b) The holder of a permit issued pursuant to section 29-28 shall carry such permit upon one's person while carrying such pistol or revolver.

Violation of this is a felony under CGS 529 29-37:

Sec. 29-37. Penalties. (a) Any person violating any provision of section 29-28 or 29-31 shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not more than three years or both, and any pistol or revolver found in the possession of any person in violation of any of said provisions shall be forfeited.

(b) Any person violating any provision of subsection (a) of section 29-35 may be fined not more than one thousand dollars and shall be imprisoned not less than one year or more than five years, and, in the absence of any mitigating circumstances as determined by the court, one year of the sentence imposed may not be suspended or reduced by the court. The court shall specifically state the mitigating circumstances, or the absence thereof, in writing for the record. Any pistol or revolver found in the possession of any person in violation of any provision of subsection (a) of section 29-35 shall be forfeited.

(c) Any person violating any provision of subsection (b) of section 29-35 shall have committed an infraction and shall be fined thirty-five dollars.

A conviction for this (or any other felony for that matter) will make you federally prohibited for life. But there's something else for Mass. residents to keep in mind when it comes to gun or weapon charges in other states, even if they're misdemeanors.

MGL 140-131(d)(i) says:

(i) has, in any state or federal jurisdiction, been convicted or adjudicated a youthful offender or delinquent child for the commission of (a) a felony; (b) a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for more than two years; (c) a violent crime as defined in section 121; (d) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession, ownership, transfer, purchase, sale, lease, rental, receipt or transportation of weapons or ammunition for which a term of imprisonment may be imposed; or (e) a violation of any law regulating the use, possession or sale of controlled substances as defined in section 1 of chapter 94C;

This means that if you ever get convicted of violating any gun or weapon laws in any other states, you're statutorily prohibited from recieving a Mass. LTC. I'm not sure if RI is similar to CT & PA in that you need a permit to even keep a handgun unloaded in the trunk, but if it is, even a misdemeanor violation will trigger the Mass. LTC disqualifier.

This is just one reason why it's very important to have a very good grasp on the laws of any state that you will be travelling to with firearms.

Although I haven't seen case law on the subject, as far as I know this would be considered two separate driving trips, and at a minimum it's a very gray area of FOPA 86. I wouldn't risk it, considering the potential charges for violating it.

Last edited:
Hmm..that info on CT/FL must be old...

CT- You can call..but I never have..

You can either call (860) 685-8494, E-mail the information to [email protected] or mail a letter to the
Department of Public Safety, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit, 1111 Country Club Rd., Middletown, CT. 06457. Change of address is required within 48 hours, and the letter should include permit number, name, date of birth, old address, and new address.

FL- You can write to them...but you can also use this online web-form..I have.

https://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/license/chgaddr790.html

Hmm..that info on CT/FL must be old...

CT- You can call..but I never have..

You can either call (860) 685-8494, E-mail the information to [email protected] or mail a letter to the
Department of Public Safety, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit, 1111 Country Club Rd., Middletown, CT. 06457. Change of address is required within 48 hours, and the letter should include permit number, name, date of birth, old address, and new address.

FL- You can write to them...but you can also use this online web-form..I have.

https://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/license/chgaddr790.html

Well that was news to me, I wish I knew that when I moved. [laugh] Thanks for the good info.

I'm not sure if RI is similar to CT & PA in that you need a permit to even keep a handgun unloaded in the trunk, but if it is, even a misdemeanor violation will trigger the Mass. LTC disqualifier, and make you a federally prohibited person for as long as you reside in Massachusetts. [shocked]

Did some digging, and it's generally illegal to have an unloaded pistol locked up in your trunk in RI without a permit.

http://www.rilin.state.ri.us/statutes/title11/11-47/11-47-8.HTM

TITLE 11
Criminal Offenses
CHAPTER 11-47
Weapons
SECTION 11-47-8

§ 11-47-8 License or permit required for carrying pistol – Possession of machine gun. – (a) No person shall, without a license or permit issued as provided in §§ 11-47-11, 11-47-12 and 11-47-18, carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, except in his or her dwelling house or place of business or on land possessed by him or her or as provided in §§ 11-47-9 and 11-47-10. The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state, or territory of the United States, or political subdivision of the state or territory, allowing him or her to carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island. No person shall manufacture, sell, purchase, or possess a machine gun except as otherwise provided in this chapter. Every person violating the provision of this section shall, upon conviction, be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten (10) years, or by a fine up to ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or both, and except for a first conviction under this section shall not be afforded the provisions of suspension or deferment of sentence, nor a probation.

(b) No person shall have in his or her possession or under his or her control any sawed-off shotgun or sawed-off rifle as defined in § 11-47-2. Any person convicted of violating this subsection shall be punished by imprisonment for up to ten (10) years, or by a fine of up to five thousand dollars ($5,000), or both.

(c) No person shall have in his or her possession or under his or her control any firearm while the person delivers, possesses with intent to deliver, or manufactures a controlled substance. Any person convicted of violating this subsection shall be punished by imprisonment for not less than two (2) years nor more than twenty (20) years, and the sentence shall be consecutive to any sentence the person may receive for the delivery, possession with intent to deliver, or the manufacture of the controlled substance. It shall not be a defense to a violation of this subsection that a person has a license or permit to carry or possess a firearm.

Violation is a felony.

However, you can transport a firearm THROUGH Rhode Island without a RI permit if you are simply passing through the state:

From the NRA-ILA Guide to the Interstate Transport of Firearms

RHODE ISLAND—A Rhode Island carry permit is generally required to transport a handgun in a vehicle. This requirement does not apply, however, to the holder of an out-of-state carry permit who intends to travel uninterrupted through the state. No permit is required to transport an unloaded handgun from the place of purchase to the purchaser’s business or residence, between a person’s residence and business, or to a federal firearms licensee for the purpose of sale, provided that the pistol and any ammunition for it is stored in a locked container or the ammunition is in a place, such as the trunk, that is not directly accessible from the vehicle’s passenger. A person may also transport an unloaded handgun without a permit between the person’s home or place of business and a “bona fide target practice range” for the purpose of competition or training. During such transport the handgun must be either “broken down … and carried as openly as circumstances will permit” or “secured in a separate container suitable for the purpose.”

And from the NRA-ILA Rhode Island summary page:

CARRYING
It is unlawful to carry a handgun on or about one’s person or in
any vehicle or conveyance without a license to carry. Exceptions to
this prohibition are:
• A person in his dwelling house, place of business, or on land
possessed by him.
• A person licensed to carry in another state, provided he is merely
transporting the weapon through the state with no intent to detain
himself or remain within Rhode Island.

And from the Rhode Island laws:

TITLE 11
Criminal Offenses
CHAPTER 11-47
Weapons
SECTION 11-47-8

§ 11-47-8 License or permit required for carrying pistol – Possession of machine gun. – (a) No person shall, without a license or permit issued as provided in §§ 11-47-11, 11-47-12 and 11-47-18, carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, except in his or her dwelling house or place of business or on land possessed by him or her or as provided in §§ 11-47-9 and 11-47-10. The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state, or territory of the United States, or political subdivision of the state or territory, allowing him or her to carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island.

Back
Top Bottom