• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I want to improve my shooting, looking for input on how to go about it.

SSW

NES Member
I am looking get people’s suggestions on how to go about improving my shooting. So far I have been totally self taught and do ok standing at a range, max distance has been 30 feet. But I really need help to improve and move forward.

After getting a chance to attend some of the shooting events this summer, mostly at HSC, I found that I really enjoy the events and competitions. But I also really need to get some instruction/coaching to get me to a level that I would actually be able to compete with any degree of success.

I do ok standing at the indoor range I mostly go to, but competitionat least for me is a completely different situation. People have told me my firearm/range safety is where it needs to be. My basic techniques just go completely out the window. Consistency is a real issue as a result and target transitioning is a challenge. I’ll do ok on one stage and completely suck on the next.

Some guys have offered to have me come and shoot with them, which I will be doing. But I think I need more than just some extra range time.

Some have recommended joining a team, I don’t know anything about teams and how they work. Would a team want a new competition shooter that needs this much development?

Some say best way to go about this by finding a coach/instructor that I can work with. But who?

I do frequently shoot at different ranges but do not belong to a club. I am on the North Shore so hoping for something inside 495. Harvard is the only club I have shot at and really liked it there.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations people mayhave!!!!

Last edited:
Scour the forums at www.BrianEnos.com and consider spending $20 on his book. Buying (and reading) his book on practical shooting was the single best thing I did to learn more and improve my shooting.

-Cuz.

take a training class. Seriously. Formal instruction with a reputable instructor is one of the best investments you can make as a shooter. When you consider all the ammo and time you would normally burn up at the range trying to teach yourself, taking a class is really pretty economical. Not only will you start developing the fundamentals, but you also will learn HOW to practice in order to master them.

I learned to shoot pistols years ago in a 10 week NRA bullseye pistol course offered through college. From reading on NES there seem to be some reputable guys in the area who offer private lessons like Dennis from First Defense Firearms or Down Range Firearms Training. I have heard that Dennis shoots competitively as well, so maybe you can customize a class with him a little more oriented towards competition. BUt overall, I think a class will help get your fundamentals down pat and then you will have no problem applying them to basically any sort of competition.

If you are looking to join HSC, I can host you as well.

Last edited:
What game are you trying to get better at?
what problems are you having during the match?

I would make sure you get training for someone that excels at competitions and teaching. "tactical" training is not going to help you.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone!!! I will be checking out the options you guys listed. Definately seems that a class or instruction is the way to go. Thanks for the referals.

I haven't really settled on one specific type of competition, I have exposure to steel, IDPA and USPSA through the HSC events. Right now trying to figure out why my fundamentals disappear at the events.

At the range and practice, things usually go well. For some reason at the events, the addition of target transition, movement etc. something happens and I loose the fundamentals and consistancy is nonexistant.

SevenMMmag, the guys from HSC told me about the open shoots on Wednesday nights. Do you know how those are run? Are they straight range shooting or do they practice a specific event? I am planning on heading out there to check it out.

Thanks again!!

In New England, I always recommend my friend Mike Briggs for instruction. He is experienced in Instruction and in competition and is NOT just a book taught instructor. Read his qualifications HERE

Mike has experience in USPSA (Member SWPL from the Cooper days), IDPA, Steel Challenge (His member number is in the single digits) and more.

He has a reasonable approach to shooting and is interesting. Do yourself a favor and at least talk to him.

As with any physical skill, consistent (and ideally, daily or something close to it) practice is important. People have a tendency to say, "I'm going to get great at this!" Then they will go to the range that day and shoot off 500 rounds, not to return again until six months later. If you schedule frequent practice sessions in, structure the practices, and set reasonable goals, it would be practically impossible for you not to improve.

Thanks Gary!! He does have a ton of experience and looks to be involved in everything I have tried.

Great referal, I'll definately be contacting him and seeing what he may suggest. I have been checking out all the referals people have made.

Glad to have recommendations from people here, there are quite a few places on the web offering instruction. Finding out who's the right choice, blindly off the web is tough. Word of mouth recommendations are the best way to find a reputable person in my opinion.

Hope things are well and your feeling better!!!

Thanks newengland shooter, you hit it right on the head. That is the trap I am in now. I get decent range time, but technique consistency, practice structure and goals are definately areas I need help with, for sure.

Last edited:
. Right now trying to figure out why my fundamentals disappear at the events.

At the range and practice, things usually go well. For some reason at the events, the addition of target transition, movement etc. something happens and I loose the fundamentals and consistancy is nonexistant.

Thanks again!!

How many events have you been to? The more you shoot the better it is for you. If you are near Woburn, start with the MRA steel shoots. Great bunch of excellent shooters. If I lived closer, I would be a regular there.

I'm also self-taught. I second "Practical Shooting: Beyond Fundamentals" by Brian Enos. This book has helped me out quite a bit with my accuracy and mindset . A good portion of the book is devoted to shooting competetively. In addition, I've taken several classes at Sig Sauer Academy to work on tactical shooting; spent many hours at the range; and practice (dry firing) consistently. All of these things combined have helped me go from, hoping I can hit where I'm aiming, to consistently shooting tight groups.

SevenMMmag, the guys from HSC told me about the open shoots on Wednesday nights. Do you know how those are run? Are they straight range shooting or do they practice a specific event? I am planning on heading out there to check it out.

Thanks again!!

If you can shoot well at a straight range, but fall on your face on a stage, then your problem is mental, more than likely to concerned about speed, getting wrapped up in how fast other shoot a stage and are forgetting to aim.
Only shoot as fast as you can call your shots

The Wednesday night practice at Harvard are excellent. The setup a stage and let you shoot it over an over again. There are people there that can help you out

Thanks again!!

They'll set up stages and let you shoot them. I won't be there but if you need a sponsor for membership, just let me know. HSC is great that it has facilities to let you practice action shooting.

If you can shoot well at a straight range, but fall on your face on a stage, then your problem is mental, more than likely to concerned about speed, getting wrapped up in how fast other shoot a stage and are forgetting to aim.
Only shoot as fast as you can call your shots

The Wednesday night practice at Harvard are excellent. The setup a stage and let you shoot it over an over again. There are people there that can help you out

Thanks Supermoto it is intimidating on the stages, especially when the experienced guys get up there and clean house. Did not really think about this factor until you mentioned it. Definately feel that I rush my set-up and shot that is part of what I think kills my fundamentals and it is all down hill from there. So the mental game is definately part of what I need to work on. At this last event I was the least experienced shooter on my squad and no one else seemed to have many issues, so that amped the pressure to, I think. Definately going to take advantage of the Open shoots at HSC and Woburn Steel, to get more exposure to the stages and practice what you have suggested.

Thanks again,
Scott

Thanks Supermoto it is intimidating on the stages, especially when the experienced guys get up there and clean house. Did not really think about this factor until you mentioned it. Definately feel that I rush my set-up and shot that is part of what I think kills my fundamentals and it is all down hill from there. So the mental game is definately part of what I need to work on. At this last event I was the least experienced shooter on my squad and no one else seemed to have many issues, so that amped the pressure to, I think. Definately going to take advantage of the Open shoots at HSC and Woburn Steel, to get more exposure to the stages and practice what you have suggested.

Thanks again,
Scott

Once you have the fundamentals down. which really is only keeping sight alignment on target until the shot breaks, everything else is mental and has nothing to do with the actual shooting. On almost all stages, most of your time has nothing to do with shooting. and even on the fast stand and blast stages with no movement, a huge amount of time is on a draw or reload. My fastest Elz prez is 4.53, 1/2 of that time,the draw and reload has nothing to do with shooting. So even on what looks like a shooting stage, its still only half of the stage, yet it is the only thing people focus on. Shoot a field stage and its all movement time and very little shooting time, but everyone is trying to shoot there way to a faster time, but getting killed on the 90% of the stage time that is the easiest to eat up and does not drop any points

Stop worrying about how the experienced shooter do, You are there to shoot your game, they aren't going to be impressed with your shooting, so don't try. The only thing that matters is the target you are shooting. You are losing your fundamentals because your are thinking (worried) about getting to the next target (speed).

A speed focus is a killer in this game. Focus on accuracy. Spend as much time as you need to make the shot, no more no less. Over time the amount of time you need to make the same shot will decrease, but you will only start to gain tenths of seconds because you are shooting faster, you will gain full seconds on game plan and movement. Everyone tries to be faster by shooting faster, but you just can not make up enough time, and you sacrifice way to many points for this to ever work. The key is efficiency on your draws, transitions and movement.

This is the stuff that you will only get from a game shooter, "tactical" trainers will only help you with about 25% of being a good game shooter

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom