I wanna build an AR-15. . .

Hi there folks,
I believe this is my first thread start after lurking for some time, so take it easy on me if I seem to ask some stupid questions!

I have an LTC-A in Mass and want to build an AR-15 before I can't anymore. A friend has given me a line on a lower receiver at a shop he frequents (he might even be lurking here, too), and recommended some sites on the ole' interweb for uppers and buttstocks and the like. I have perused AR15.com for a little while and done some searching here, but still have a few questions.

Is there a handy place I might go to to read any Mass-specific laws pertaining to making my own?

For that matter, is there a general guide on the legal issues of home-brewing a rifle?

I want to follow the law exactly, no short-cuts or "what they don't know can't hurt you" mentality here. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, and again my apologies for being a noob.

Maybe I am confused about what you are asking...you want to build you own rifle? but then you mention you've got a line on a lower...
When I say "I am building a gun" or a "home built gun" it typically involves some machining/drilling/welding ect, is that what you want to do?
Or do you just want to assemble an AR from parts? (in whcih case I would suggest you just go buy the AR you want, then when you get home take it a part and put it back together, cause thats all there is to an AR, not much of a "build")

No collapsible buttstock,flash hider or bayonet lugs(MA law).Muzzle break has to be pinned or welded on if the BBL is less than 16".(Fed law)

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but in Ma I think the muzzle break has to be pinned or welded no matter what the barrel size is.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but in Ma I think the muzzle break has to be pinned or welded no matter what the barrel size is.

Since MA law is a mirror of the Fed ban, then that's correct. Personally if I was building to be MA compliant I'd get an unthreaded barrel. (16" & above) There's no need for a muzzle break on an AR & it makes future maintenance or upgrades easier.

Since MA law is a mirror of the Fed ban, then that's correct. Personally if I was building to be MA compliant I'd get an unthreaded barrel. (16" & above) There's no need for a muzzle break on an AR & it makes future maintenance or upgrades easier.

But they do enhance an AR-15s evilness. [smile]

Two of my ARs have permanently attached muzzle brakes (one is to meet the Fed requirement for a 16" barrel). I haven't encountered nor do I anticipate any maintenance problems because of it.

Looking to the future... when I reach the time that I can move out of this shit-hole to s free state, one of the first things I plan on doing is de-neutering my castrated EBRs and rebuilding them the way Eugene Stoner and Mihkal Kalashniov had intended.

Back in the bad old days, pre-Sep '04, I had a Rock River Arms M4 profile barrel with a fake Flash-hider factory-sleeved on the end. Looked better than a naked muzzle and still stayed legal. Maybe RRA still makes the barrels.

Back in the bad old days, pre-Sep '04, I had a Rock River Arms M4 profile barrel with a fake Flash-hider factory-sleeved on the end. Looked better than a naked muzzle and still stayed legal. Maybe RRA still makes the barrels.

I could be wrong, but I think that was something Pete-In-NH had an exclusive on. The 14.5" barreled AR with the pinned/soldered Phantom muzzle brake I have now used to have the press on sleeve until I had the barell cut down, rethreaded and crowned.

The original set-up didn't look that bad. Even from a short distance you had to look closely to see that it was a fake.

I could be wrong, but I think that was something Pete-In-NH had an exclusive on. The 14.5" barreled AR with the pinned/soldered Phantom muzzle brake I have now used to have the press on sleeve until I had the barell cut down, rethreaded and crowned.

The original set-up didn't look that bad. Even from a short distance you had to look closely to see that it was a fake.
That's the one. I did, indeed, by mine from Pete-in-NH, AKA Legal Transfers. I remember someone (ADCOM?) was doing a "remove the sleeve and replace with real FH" service going.

I'll bet a "WTB" ad on ar15.com would turn one up.

?

I dont know jack on building AR-15's but it looks like a lot of fun. Can I find any good websites that will send me on my way to putting together some black evil?

Back
Top Bottom