• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I think that the ammo bubble is starting to burst

Quiet

Banned
There has been (very) expensive .223 PDX rounds ($30 for 20 rounds) sitting in several places unsold: Dicks in Natick, and a few Walmarts. Time was when any in demand ammo at any price sold.

I did a loop of several walmarts around noon a couple of weeks ago and was lucky at each stop getting some 9 and .22lr. I'm sure I just hit them lucky but still...

Went up to Rileys and SO in Hooksett NH today -- Rileys had a very large pile of 9mm with some selection (including some bulk 100) for $.26 - .30 per round ($13 - $15 a box) , they had .22lr in federal 325s for $16 and they had bulk 200 rounds of .223 at $.40 per round.

2 box limit, 1 box of bulk. 10 boxes total.

MFS in Holliston MA had plenty of 9mm to shoot and a limit of 1 box (non member) 2 boxes member to take home.

I am feeling like the ammo bubble is starting to burst.

Anyone agree?

Are you stocked up? My wife and I feel like we have enough so that we can basically stop buying for a while now (although I think we've been conditioned to grab when we see it so we got a couple of boxes at Rileys -- which is likely part of the problem).

Thinking about it, the bulk .223 might have been bulk 5.56... Not sure. But it was $79.95 for 200 rounds, and there was a pile of it.

I see lots of .223 right here on NES for about .50 per round. Went to my favorite LGS today and got a pound of my first choice of powder for $24 and a box of Lyman .30 caliber gas checks for $15 down from the $30 sticker because they were happy to see them go. And then I went shooting and there was about a gallon ziplock bag of .223 brass in the barrel. Good day.

Glad I was all stocked up and could watch the whole shit storm blow by. I'm glad it's starting to ease a bit. I did notice that I could get 7.62x39 for about .40 a round (a long way from the .20 I was paying) and it was plentiful (no limits on the amount I could buy).

It would be nice to see a few of the scalpers take a hit.... :D

While I hate paying inflated prices as much as the next guy...no one ever forced me or you to buy it. They weren't scalpers (no price caps that I am aware of) -- they were simply asking for the price the market would bear. As demand dries out, the equilibrium price will fall accordingly. You were not scalped.

That being said, I am going to give my business, going forward, to the shops that decided to maintain their normal prices throughout (distributor costs + their normal markup).

It's improving. And hopefully will continue to improve. According to this article the ammo companies themselves expect it to end at some point:

"While demand is strong, manufacturers consider it temporary and aren’t planning to build new factories or make substantial changes that would cost a lot of money and take a lot of time to train people and buy new facilities. The last “surge” in demand only lasted six quarters, and this one, though manufacturers changed their expectations in the last month, now expect demand to remain strong through the end of the year. Some even wonder if it will extend into the new year and beyond."

Bullet blitz: Demand from public, government leaves ammo shelves empty | Fox News

Herter's .223 Remington Ammunition .223 Remington 55 Grain FMJ 20 rounds

$0.35/rd

[$6.99]

[in stock]

[Cabelas]

Herter's .223 Remington Ammunition .223 Remington 55 Grain HP 20 rounds

$0.35/rd

[$6.99]

[in stock]

[Cabelas]

While I hate paying inflated prices as much as the next guy...no one ever forced me or you to buy it. They weren't scalpers (no price caps that I am aware of) -- they were simply asking for the price the market would bear. As demand dries out, the equilibrium price will fall accordingly. You were not scalped.

That being said, I am going to give my business, going forward, to the shops that decided to maintain their normal prices throughout (distributor costs + their normal markup).
I respect their right to do what they did, doesn't mean I have to like it. They *are* a factor in the lack of availability in the local stores, even though what they did is part of the free market system. They engaged in a risky business and they have been rewarded for their risk taking.

I don't have to like their morals and it was mean of me to say that I'd like to see them take a hit. So let me rephrase that: It would be nice to see the natural turn and collapse of the arbitrage market remind them that the risk they were taking in playing the arbitrage game is real.

Glad I was all stocked up and could watch the whole shit storm blow by. I'm glad it's starting to ease a bit. I did notice that I could get 7.62x39 for about .40 a round (a long way from the .20 I was paying) and it was plentiful (no limits on the amount I could buy).

This.

I know shooters outpost had a crap load of ar-15, an ar-15-22 from various manufacturers and they even had ruger 10-22s, now i havent seen a supply of these rifles in a while.

the fact that the rifles are still on the rack, tell me people are backing off the crazy ban waggon and calming down, Basicly doing less stockpiling and actually buying just what they need to go shooting

I was at Walmart in Nashua (or is that Hudson?) yesterday and they had a fair bit of .223 Tula and Fed XM193. Tula was $0.26/round and XM193 was $0.40/round. Unfortunately they had a 3 box limit and the clerk was a miserable bastard.

Went to my favorite LGS today and got a pound of my first choice of powder for $24...

they have WSR primers in stock? :) and who are they? :)

When I can find powder in bulk & box limits go away, then you can call it. Maybe.
Pistol powder is not to be found right now.
[sad]

heh... i have 4lbs of titegroup and zero projectiles.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom