I swore to myself i would not get into a custom 10-22

Looked decent when you had everything sitting in the stock.

What do you think about the stick type epoxy? The stuff that comes in two sticks or bars the consistency of firm putty?
I have some and I find it to stiff, it does not flow well. I tried the yellow and blue kind and JB quickstik its to thick.
I might order some gel from brownells. The first "kit" I got from brownells worked great on some 22s I did 10 plus years ago. Had a nice stay where you put it viscosity and flowed easily. It was branded with some guys name " a go to smith from that time period " ??

[rofl]

Aside from our tastes in "custom" apparently being different, I just have to laugh at you. It's a 10/22, you HAVE to tinker with it. It's the law.

Not the case when they first came out. I had one back then and it was very accurate right out of the box. I can't imagine the the standards have diminished that far.

10-22 is a money pit if you have any aspirations for anything better than a plinker

If a plinker can hit a soda can size target at 100yds+-, that's minute of headshot and acceptable to me.[wink]

If a plinker can hit a soda can size target at 100yds+-, that's minute of headshot and acceptable to me.[wink]

Never seen a 10-22 that would do that out of the box......usually requires the expenditure of order of magnitude more (at least) in enhancements ymmv

Never seen a 10-22 that would do that out of the box......usually requires the expenditure of order of magnitude more (at least) in enhancements ymmv

The ones circa 1980 would. Evidently the standards have diminished since then.

Shooting at cans is a hard way to judge accuracy.
It's hard to tell sometimes if you hit the can or came close and the dirt displacement moved it.
Mine in factory barrel and stock configuration with a 4x scope (late 80s) with remington green tag was good for 2.5-3moa. Shoot some bulk cheap ammo and your looking at 5 moa.
Also as you stated it's what's good enough for you,me,them is all that matters.
I'm hoping to get right around MOA. In the end 10 ring on a SR target will be good for me.

Just for reference a soda can is 4.8 tall 2.6 at the widest point. That's 12 square inches to have a chance of hitting.

Last edited:
One thing I forgot to mention...

Watch for trouble from aftermarket mags. Once I upgraded mine to a Volquartsen barrel I always had trouble with aftermarket mags.

One thing I forgot to mention...

Watch for trouble from aftermarket mags. Once I upgraded mine to a Volquartsen barrel I always had trouble with aftermarket mags.

I have a handful of ruger mags.
I final fit the stock to the action and removed some wood so the mags drop free. Now to find some time to get some ammo testing done.
Have a small variety to try. RWS 50, lapua, cci sv, aquila super extra , SK standard plus. Have some eley somewhere but it's just basic "club" stuff

well by the time I was finished with the rifle matches today the wind picked up a good amount. So I did not bother with any ammo testing. Instead I took 30 shots at the 200 yard target from the rifle match. I had no target puller and could not see theholes with my scope well enough to reall make any decent corrections. Had a good 5-8mph LtoR wind and I tried to shoot inbetween the gusts. not exactly a great group but off to a good start as far as I am concerened. I think with a nice fitting stock and some ammo that shines in this barrel I can get down to 10 ring @ 200...I also either need a slightly higher rear sight or switch to the smaller globe as I needed to hold a little high as I ran out of elevation.
s9LUz8A.jpg

well moving along slowly, finally got a stock to try out and im ready to give it a test run
Redfield international match sights and a titan stock.
WJVUcDG.jpg

finally was able to get to the range and test out the rig. I shot with the scope set up today
Meuller 8x32x44 mill dot, set at 12x target 50 yards ammo was RWS special match, bench with harris bipod
The set up for testing
5OvVH1d.jpg

the target below
top left is the savage rascal i tried shooting for a group at 25 yards with the match sights. Im surprised i even did this well as i could not see the 1/2" dot very well through the aperture style sights.
moving to the right the 2 lower groups are 50 yards the bottom group is the first 5 shots. I used a laser sighter at home to get close, then shot another 5 shots above it. Then shot the last 20 rounds on the 2 rows on the right. I started on the bottom of the 3 row from the left. made a quick scope adjustment and ran out the remaining rounds 2 shots to a dot. KIDD says 1/2" groups at 50 yards with match ammo I think its there
zTYdC3R.jpg

I hope i can get at least 3/4" heck under 1" at 50 yards with more affordable ammo I will be happy

cant wait to get out to 200 yards

Snuck out to 100 yards with the red field sights and some CCI SV in the rush I forgot to add the 4 minutes needed to center it up. Ordering some better ammo soon

bU2pcE9.jpg

Last edited:
wO3ndNu.jpg

heres a 100 yard group with cci sv just resting on the bench on top of a block of wood. I dropped the 3 high shots but even still 3" group is all over the 10 ring and that's basically my standard

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!! My did I open this thread?!? I am/was I should say on the fence with my 10/22 now I guess I will venture down too mac. Thanks [laugh]
Lol. I agree. The one rifle I have not gotten yet . I always wanted one but never persuaded it. The more and more I look at custom builds, the take downs and the more I want one.

I always bring my 22 pistol to the range to plinker with now I need a 22 rifle,lol

Lol. I agree. The one rifle I have not gotten yet . I always wanted one but never persuaded it. The more and more I look at custom builds, the take downs and the more I want one.

I always bring my 22 pistol to the range to plinker with now I need a 22 rifle,lol
I got mine in trade then added the stock, barrel and sight set up. in the end should have just bought a complete KIDD rifle

Which do you plan to try?
I'm going to buy some Tenex as I'm out.
Basically I'm going going to do a simple test.
CCI SV vs SK rifle match and Tenex
Honestly my skill set does not warrant 22lr over $10 50 rounds but I have a a few rifles that deserve a few hundred rounds of really nice ammo a year.
Wolf Match Extra has been a good balance of very good results for my rifles and skills. I'm not finding it much these days and current wolf is made by SK/Lapua anyway.
Only reason I like better ammo is consistent velocity.
If you have a crony put some 22lr over it the cheap shit is all over the place.

Honestly my skill set does not warrant 22lr over $10 50 rounds but I have a a few rifles that deserve a few hundred rounds of really nice ammo a year.
Wolf Match Extra has been a good balance of very good results for my rifles and skills. I'm not finding it much these days and current wolf is made by SK/Lapua anyway.

I have found that in almost any of my 22LR rifles, vertical stringing is the most prevalent reason for bigger groups. If iron sights, I'd say it could be me- but with a good scope only some of the vertical stringing is me and the rest is coming from velocities that are all over the map.

Kidd is still making complete rifles? Didn't see them on their website.

That's some kick-@ss shooting. I'm going to have to try and match that. Maybe not today, it's really gusty here.

I have found that in almost any of my 22LR rifles, vertical stringing is the most prevalent reason for bigger groups. If iron sights, I'd say it could be me- but with a good scope only some of the vertical stringing is me and the rest is coming from velocities that are all over the map.

Kidd is still making complete rifles? Didn't see them on their website.

That's some kick-@ss shooting. I'm going to have to try and match that. Maybe not today, it's really gusty here.
Shot those groups with rws special match on a nice calm overcast day. With scope.
I'm going to do a little crony testing eventually.
This is one I considered
KIDD 10/22® aftermarket receiver

Last edited:
Good choices, for sure. I have had some really surprisingly good CCI SV results, depending on the rifle... like your 50y groups... but of 5 from a scoped CZ 452, factory barrel. The Wolf Match (plain match, not even Extra) definitely tended to be a little tighter than the SV with almost the same POI. I save those for the 100y zeroing. Eley Target comes out right about the same as the CCI SV for me, perhaps with less batch-to-batch variance... hard to say as I have one batch of Eley Target, and comically different sets of CCI SV boxes.

Good luck and keep updating!

Here's a pic for fun. You can see how the light barrel on the 452 opens up as things get warm (and probably the warming suppressor didn't help :) ).

IMG_20170823-2.jpg

Good choices, for sure. I have had some really surprisingly good CCI SV results, depending on the rifle... like your 50y groups... but of 5 from a scoped CZ 452, factory barrel. The Wolf Match (plain match, not even Extra) definitely tended to be a little tighter than the SV with almost the same POI. I save those for the 100y zeroing. Eley Target comes out right about the same as the CCI SV for me, perhaps with less batch-to-batch variance... hard to say as I have one batch of Eley Target, and comically different sets of CCI SV boxes.

Good luck and keep updating!

Here's a pic for fun. You can see how the light barrel on the 452 opens up as things get warm (and probably the warming suppressor didn't help :) ).

View attachment 225281
I don't bother much with the eley target, club or any of the "sub" match stuff unless its as cheap or cheaper than SK standard plus , CCI SV , aguila extra super and the likes.
Im curious to see how the CMP eley line goes its priced pretty well ?

I don't bother much with the eley target, club or any of the "sub" match stuff unless its as cheap or cheaper than SK standard plus , CCI SV , aguila extra super and the likes.
Im curious to see how the CMP eley line goes its priced pretty well ?
Totally... I got the Eley Target for about what CCI SV was going for. Good deal. Works about as well, maybe a pinch less well out of the 452. The Wolf Match was more like $8/50 since I only bought a few boxes, but it was worth seeing it make a difference. No idea how the Eley CMP stuff performs. Let us know! :)

Totally... I got the Eley Target for about what CCI SV was going for. Good deal. Works about as well, maybe a pinch less well out of the 452. The Wolf Match was more like $8/50 since I only bought a few boxes, but it was worth seeing it make a difference. No idea how the Eley CMP stuff performs. Let us know! :)
yeah im stuck in that $8 box limit only because im not shooting much and my skills just don't warrant anything more expensive.
I have enough .05-.10 cent ammo to last a good long while. made a few bucks scraping some junk so going to treat myself to some better than average stuff. I don't know if im going to bother with the cmp eley stuff...it .07 cents per round. One thing I like about buying tenex is you can pick a lot number knowing its average velocity Sooo for my 200 yard fodder I might pick a lot that's closer to 1070+fps just to gain a little less drop at 200

Well finally getting around to the 10/22 again have a box of Tenex waiting for a nice day before the snow flies. I mounted the mueller 8x32x44 back with Burris rings with some cant to get out to 200 yards. Down side of the mueller is not much adjustment.
If I set it up right I gained 20moa

My receiver is far from square to anything . Pointed out by the smith who installed my match aperture sights. The top of my receiver is not square with the sides or the barrel and it appears to be canted off to the right also.
Won’t matter as long as it hits and groups which I know it can.

View: https://imgur.com/a/ewHgacL

zZoV6Uam.jpg

50 yards bench with tenex
I shot 10 rounds to "season" the barrel
10 rounds to zero the scope 5 to get it close and then 5 for a group got it close enough then shot the top group yanking my 3 shot left leaving 9 in the group. Then I just amed at each intersecting line below for 10 shots...not to bad. I have a few more ammo choices that are "affordable"

Back
Top Bottom