I really don't give a s**T what happens to you

This should have been her.

chalk9890.jpg

I'm fortunate enough to live in a place where when you dial 911, half the town arrives in a minute or two, (ask me how I know). I can't imagine the helplessness and fear that poor woman was going through - only to be disrespected and worse - have her life put in jeopardy. Insane...

I wonder if the 911 operator was a civilian or a cop?I know all of the phone operators at my old dept. are civilians.Mostly women.

911 dispatch is a very tiring frustrating job because the volume of calls are much larger than the resources.People dial 911 for everything...they also call all day by accident.Brockton had hundreds of mistaken 911 calls every week because of morons hitting 911 instead of 411,morons attempting to dial 9 to get an outside line but hit it twice and then a 1 for long distance and little kids playing with the phone.I wish all the nay sayers could truly work the 911 desk for a day,it would be a rude awakening.

Another champion of my profession

Most do a great job. I had a few losers in my group although for the most part we were able to weed them out after a time or they gave up as they realized they were in over their head. Unfortunately I was forced to take one or two due to political considerations even though they weren't the best.

The one day they really shined was on 9-11-01. We were getting cell phone call from the towers and these people handled themselves in an outstanding manner. They knew there was nothing they could do for these people except talk to them. One girl talked to one man right up until the tower went down. I had a copy of that tape but never played it again. Soon after that point we transfered her into a record keeping function as she was truly burnt. I hated dispatch duty. I would have rather been in the street cold and wet but free of the calls.

On a lighter note, something similar happened to a patrol officer of mine who was assigned to man the phones. He thought he disconnected the call of an irate motorist who abandoned her car in a lane of traffic and left without calling anyone. The car was towed and she was pissed. After trying to deal with her, he thought the call had ended and he made the comment "Fu*k you". I was stuck apologizing to her. I really wanted to beat his ass that day.

Back
Top Bottom