I need your thoughts on conceal carry purses, and if you want , my gun:)

Hello:) so i recently applied for my permit, i didnt even get asked and the chief just put in class a unrestricted.
So i was happy :) waiting for that in the mail as we speak.

Ive got a deal with another forum member for a 2009 Hk Usp compact. Yes i know the gun isn't compact but its my all in one gun home defense, target, hiking, and CcW.

For me who normally wear tight jeans and shirts . I thought about how the hell am i going to conceal this huge gun. So i decided to look into conceal carry purses. Which i found on http://mygunpurses.com/GunPurse7083new.aspx
http://mygunpurses.com/images/7083 red.jpg
http://mygunpurses.com/images/83 mt gun 2.jpg

I like the red or black. So my question is what do you think? Is it a viable alternative to IWB . Of course i'll pick up a comptac mtac for it when its winter season or im wearing baggy clothes...( mostly never) and summer coming up i think the purse idea is a good one minis the slower draw time to unzip the pocket, take the snap off the holster then pull it out to aim... Thanks :) and if you want to give advice on the gun feel free too, i did think about the ruger lcr and the lcp. Feel free to suggest others. I did like the sig 239 but the slide release i hated! It wore down my thumb fast at the range.

Concealed Carry Holsters & Outfits for Women
Concealed Carry Holsters & Outfits for Women

Uploaded by faliaphotography on Oct 23, 2010

This video shows an assortment of my various Ruger LCR holsters, which I use to conceal carry on a daily basis. I do have my CPL/CCW and know how hard it is for a girl to conceal a gun comfortably in public, so I hope to show other females that there truly are lots of concealed carry options available that will work for us! Find holster write-ups and more at my site, http://www.faliaphotography.com

[YouTube]ogGBPVk5GQk[/YouTube]
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk>

Holster Talk Part 1
Holster Talk Part 1

Uploaded by limalife on Jun 4, 2008

Part One of going over some holsters. This turned out to be a lot longer than I expected so look for Part 2, 3 and 4. If you have any questions or comments feel free.

And P.S. Pardon the 4 month baby belly. It was getting a little tight in there because this baby is really starting to get big, but I'm sure you'll understand.

[YouTube]6id83qgQVic[/YouTube]
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6id83qgQVic>

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of gun ownership.

Best advice is to do some reading here:

http://www.corneredcat.com/

Kathy covers a lot of issues that are specific to women.

Holsters, purses, guns are a highly variable matter. Wearing a holster depends a lot on your body shape, manner of dress, what and where it is comfortable on you, etc. and others can't make an intelligent choice for your needs.

Most women have a tendency to "dump" a purse (drop it by the door at a friend's house, at home, etc.). If it has a gun in it, it either must be locked or under your DIRECT CONTROL at all times in MA. Something to consider very carefully.

There is also this. Check out the video: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/05/flashbang-bra-holster-is-sexy-fast-and-practical/

I can't comment much on the pocketbooks. Seems lie you'd have to try one to know if you like it or not. I am not well schooled in fashion, but don't most women have pocketbooks in different colors to go with different outfits? Not sure how much of a concern that is.

There are also fanny packs for concealed carry.

good points , i definitly like that the purse i was looking at was A. not expensive and B. came with the lock on the zipper , now i don't know how well it works , but its a lock.. your right about the color thing, but i figure if i get the black i won't need to worry about changing it all the time..

fanny packs just are not cool for a young woman.. sorry im only 28 :p

as far as build, tall and skinny , so even with a IWB holster its going to stick the hell out of my waist and look unnatural.. but i will buy one , and use it on the small of my back during winter or something .. maybe that will work.. it might work if i buy a size larger pants , which might make the IWB holster a little more comfortable.. but it would only be used during cold weather. summer its going to have to be the purse , as there is no way with shorts, and a tank its going to conceal.. the bra thing does not work on a full sized USPcompact cause we all know the compact is a full size gun lol...

as far as IWB i was thinking Mtac from comptac,

or maybe a
http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/H715MTB/Don-Hume-IWB-Clip-On-Holster-wThumb-Break-H715M-TB.html

i would use a nylon heavy basket weave belt used by snowboarders from burton.

the seller is giving me a fobus paddle holster and i watched this video lol.. its just not a good idea for OWB holster..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDeKtgkZKmQ

though i would use the holster and break off the paddle and use it to sleeve the gun inside the purse better than their little flap over fabric holster , or take a Mtac body and tac it into the conceal carry compartment in the purse cause i hear that since the trigger on the compact is pretty large compared to the trigger guard its more likely to catch on something that is not molded?

i looked at the corner cat web site and it was pretty good info thanks :) im definitly liking the idea of just behind the hip carry , now i just need to find a good holster for it . some stretchy jeans might help in that department, and looks like i need to buy alot more sweaters :) and wear a tank under it so the holster doesn't rub. any suggestions other than the don hume i showed ? and whats the most reliable leather holster? i want one that has a reinforced opening so as not to have the leathercatch the trigger and have a A.D. any suggestions would help:)

Crossbreed has a holster that's just a kydex shell with velco on the back, so you could securely fasten a gun to the inside of one or many pursed you already have.

Just bear in mind that if you're going to purse carry you need very positive control over that purse.

You will find if you wear IWB you will need pants a few sizes bigger then you wear so you can fit the gun in there.

I would suggest a nice fanny pack. As Len said in MA you have to have it on your person.

You may want to try a Crossbreed holster crossbreedholsters.com/ , I have heard good things about them for women.

As far as holsters look into a highride holster. They tend to stick tight to the body and are high enough so a shirt will cover them.

Myself I prefer a retension holster, I like thumb break holsters. Mernickle made my PS6 and my PS2 mernickleholsters.com/ps2_ref6 as thumb break holsters.

Here's a few looks:

mernickleholsters/ps6r1

mernickleholsters/ladies hand bags

highnoonholsters.com/Skin_Tite/

highnoonholsters.com/_Sky_High

This is another thing you can look into, it's a good idea:

http://www.pistolwear.com/

Here's Galco's hand bags: (on bottom of page)

usgalco.com/Women.top picks

usgalco.com/HolsterPT3

Here's a nice waist pack:

usgalco.com/waist pack

Sorry that there is a lot of things here to look at. You will find that finding the right carry system is a lot of trying to see what you like. You will also end up with a few different ways to carry depending on how you dress.

Myself I do not like to carry IWB, it bugs me too much with the gun riding right next to my skin, I carry OWB, you may find that you like IWB though. you won't know untill you try a few holsters.

Good Luck and I hope this helped.

Last edited:
Welcome. Does it have to be a, "Regular" purse ? of not, what about a Leapers UTG Messenger style bag (Amazon) Soon, like most of here, you will have a box full of holsters. Just one holster style rarely fits the bill. As far as the gun, unless you are in love with the H&K it doesn't sound like it's your best all around option. I'd take a 2nd look at the 239. Use your weak hand (over the top) to charge the slide.

Last edited:
Lots of terrific advice and links here. I don't have anything more specific but wanted to add that from the sounds of it, you'll want to have an array of options available to you for your gun. For example, I carry a couple of different guns depending on what I'm doing, what I'm wearing, and where I'm going. I also carry them different ways; pocket, IWB, OWB. You can't really have too many options for carrying if you're not willing to change your fashion style (which I don't really think you have to do).
The bottom line is that I wouldn't consider anyone of your options to be the be-all, end-all solution to carry for any season. You may want a purse on most days when you an keep close tabs on your purse but a SOB carry for a gathering where you're likely to dump your purse or would look conspicuous carrying it constantly.
You may also end up considering a second carry gun at some point for a more concealable carry. The Bodyguard, Ruger LCP, LCR, and S&W J frames are some small framed carry guns that would probably open up your carry options down the road.
Welcome to NES and the world of guns!

Bee,

Check out some of Limatunes videos on Youtube.

Start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGAb3JpUigM and then check the titles of her other videos for the ones where she shows how to conceal carry. Her favorite used to be a 1911!

Lima is thin, young and tremendously helpful in addressing some of the issues you raised. Her voice is "whiney", so you will have to get past that to learn what she has to offer. She's a rather inactive Mod on www.concealedcarry.com where she addressed all this stuff some years ago before she had her children. Lots of good stuff there too, if you can successfully search and find it.

I totally agree and when i have the money i will invest in a ruger lcr, or something smaller that is meant for conceal carry but for a first gun id rather have the fuller sized so i can go to the range etc and get good at it for home defense. Guns are a more expensive habit than purse shopping. I did like the black high noon one with the safety strap. Isnt it harder to conceal a OWB?

I totally agree and when i have the money i will invest in a ruger lcr, or something smaller that is meant for conceal carry but for a first gun id rather have the fuller sized so i can go to the range etc and get good at it for home defense. Guns are a more expensive habit than purse shopping. I did like the black high noon one with the safety strap. Isnt it harder to conceal a OWB?

Not always. IMO I'd stay away from holsters w/ straps etc. unless you plan on training ALOT drawing from them.

I am not a fan of purse carry, mainly because if someone is going to rob a woman, he is most likely going to swipe your purse.. I have used a fanny pack in the past, maybe once or twice. I recommend buying a gun you can either conceal with your current way of dressing, or adjust your clothing choices. I have a Crossbreed Supertuck that conceals a full sized Glock surprisingly well, so that ,might be an option for you too.

Hi, i have the exact purse that you showed with the side view of the gun compartment. It is brand new, never been used. I bought it thinking I would use it, but don't like the idea of having a gun not always under my direct control. Purses are left on the counter, sometimes the back of the chair, next to you in the car, etc. It is too easy for someone to snatch your purse away, even when you have it on your shoulder, and then do God knows what with YOUR gun. Not to mention, there goes your LTC permit for ever. That being said, it is a personal decision to carry in whatever way you feel best with. I would be happy to sell my purse cheap if you are still interested in purse carry. Just drop me a pm and we can discuss it.

I am a woman weighing 120 lbs, 5'5" and carrying is hard for someone our size. I have tried all different ways. I am a runner and have found that carrying while being so active is hard. I carry a S & W Bodyguard, mostly in an ankle holster, (not while runnung tho) but have other options for under clothing do to its small size. I don't like baggy clothes at my age and size.......[thinking]

Please let us women know what you find works best for you, having others ideas is great for us all! And congrats on being one of the " smart ones " :)

Talon your post really made me change my mind . I never thought of the "if my purse is taken im sunk forever never being allowed to carry " really good point. I think im going to try my best to use an iwb holster . Thank you all on changing my mind about the purse its 80 dollars i can use to buy a holster:) or pick up some federal Hst 124gr +p ammo from online

Welcome. Does it have to be a, "Regular" purse ? of not, what about a Leapers UTG Messenger style bag (Amazon) Soon, like most of here, you will have a box full of holsters. Just one holster style rarely fits the bill. As far as the gun, unless you are in love with the H&K it doesn't sound like it's your best all around option. I'd take a 2nd look at the 239. Use your weak hand (over the top) to charge the slide.

Im not super in love with the hk minus the fact i like the placement of the slide release , as i have limited time with it a while ago ive shot the sigs so much i dont even remember if it fit my hand at all. A forum member had his uspc 9mm up for sale so i figured why not . And started planning . I still need to test out his gun before i finalize the deal. Its funny cause most of what im shooting at the range is sig's. 229 and 239. Its what they have , problem is there are no hk's to test out fully, nor ruger lcr's or anything remotely new . I wish every dealer had a testing model. It would make gun choices so much easier.

Talon your post really made me change my mind . I never thought of the "if my purse is taken im sunk forever never being allowed to carry " really good point. I think im going to try my best to use an iwb holster . Thank you all on changing my mind about the purse its 80 dollars i can use to buy a holster:) or pick up some federal Hst 124gr +p ammo from online

Wise choice. Purse carry scares the crap out of me, because a purse is a mugger's main target -- and when he gets your purse, he gets everything in it, including the gun.

I'm glad I read the whole thread, because I was going to gently chastise you over the "tight jeans and shirts" issue. Sometimes you just have to accept that you're going to have to dress around the gun. Women actually have far more choices than men when it comes to clothing options that allow concealed carry, even if they do have to get creative with supporting a holster and gun's weight.

Agree with previous comments on purse carry and dressing for the gun. So, while you're at it, look into 2-o'clock ("appendix") IWB carry too. A number of trim women I know prefer to carry that way. Comp-Tac and a lot of other companies make holsters set up for appendix carry.

I I did like the black high noon one with the safety strap.
Ya I like the looks of the High Noon stuff also, I allready had my holsters ordered from Mernickle so I stayed with those, otherwise I would have gotten the High Noon. Next holster I order wil be from them.

Isnt it harder to conceal a OWB?
Not really, it all depends on what you wear. I didn't feel like taking my holster and everything else off when we did the S&W Tour. Of course I set the metal detector off and the lady gaurd asked why I was beeping and I showed her and she was amazed, she couldn't tell I had all that stuff on.

It depends a lot on the holster also, say a BlackHawk holster, well they stick out far so they are not the greatest for CC, my holster sticks real close to my side so it is easyer to hide.

As I said I like a Thumb Break holster, to me they hold the gun much better and it is harder for the bad guy to get your gun away from you in a tusall. I've allways carryed with a TB.

Good Luck

Last edited:
I am a runner and have found that carrying while being so active is hard. I carry a S & W Bodyguard, mostly in an ankle holster, (not while runnung tho) but have other options for under clothing do to its small size. Please let us women know what you find works best for you, having others ideas is great for us all! And congrats on being one of the " smart ones " :)

Talon try this : http://www.pistolwear.com/ . I saw someone selling them once at a gun show or sportsmen show (can't remember which) and they said they loved them. From what I have seen they look real good for runners.

Hope that helps.

See Ya

Are you dead set on this gun? For your intened purposes I would suggest a M&P compact or G26. As for additional carry options how do you feel about the undershirts with built in holsters? It would allow you to still wear tighter bottoms and use your natural shape to hide the gun.

Like this: http://www.bikersden.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=4223

I agree, a M&P compact would be a good choice. That is what I carry, I was carrying a FS M&P 40 but I switched to the compact. I bought the X-Grip sleeves http://www.x-grips.com/ for it so I can carry my FS mags.

I agree with the under shirt idea also, that's were the Pistol Wear one comes in also http://www.pistolwear.com/

whoa the pistol wear site is amazing , i totally love the idea. though i will get a trigger cover for the gun. i emailed them about the pistol wear one and two and which would be best . and i will definity get a mag holder ;) . thanks for the awesome site :) so now all i need is a crossbreed / mtac and this belt :) that should easily set me up with enough variables to conceal for the moment.

My daughter has a Galco purse but she only uses the one that was custom make for her. She took a class at Gunsite taught by females for females covering things that men would not use or think about. She has a "pocket" in the side with her H&K in a holster inside of so when in places dark and scary she can walk with her hand on the grip. she can draw almost twice as fast as I can from the hip.

if you want to try some out I just saw these today at flint armament in fall river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry in a Galco Metropolitan. Love the purse. It takes some practice to get the draw fast and safe, but it's doable. I do recommend on body carry if you can possibly pull it off. Unfortunately, I've a hard enough time finding clothes that fit, forget that I can conceal in, so for now, purse carry is my only realistic option for concealed carry. Out of the purses I investigated for a carry option, I liked Galco's selection far better than anything else out there, and they don't scream GUN PURSE!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom