I need some quick advise!!

I am looking at a virtually unfired, unissued RA 03A3 if there is indeed such a thing. [grin] Metal is 100% and the wood is flawless. Rifle appears original in every respect. TE:1 ME:0. Bore is bright and shiney and flawless. Stock has all necessary cartouches and they appear to be original in every respect. Dealer has an outstanding reputation for honesty. What would this rifle be worth? I can try to get a few pics up, but I am honestly just looking for a ballpark figure from the xperts. [smile] Thanx in advance

Junk.

Lemme know where it is so I can go rid the world of it.

Seriously though, probably in the 700-1200 range.

Forgot to mention, it has an OG rebuild stamp on the stock. Not sure what this does to value. Not sure what would have been rebuilt. Again all parts I've seen have the "R" stamping.

OG.jpg

bolt.jpg

bottomofstock.jpg

overall.jpg

stockcartouche.jpg

action.jpg

Last edited:
Looks just like they come from CMP...mine looks like that. Check the www.odcmp.com website and you'll see what they're getting for them and judge yourself according.

oops! looks like they're sold out and don't show the prices. I think the last price they had was $595, maybe.

Yeah, sold out and the ones they are getting next year doesn't sound promising. [crying]

PM USMA-82 -- he's an honest, incredibly knowledgeable milsurps collector.

Damn straight! And don't forget humble....

C&R buds shows a ballpark prices of $650 - $1,000, which is a pretty big ballpark. My biggest worry on this rifle would be that the stampings look too good - read "fake." I'd really want to know some background on this rifle. If it's been sitting in a collection for 50 years, that's one thing. They show up from time-to-time, and they disappear quickly. If the dealer has a great reputation, he should be able to tell you all about it.

Similar rifles on gunbroker over the past 90 days have sold for between $600 and $850.

So what's it worth? Whatever you say it is. If you toss and turn all night because of the price you paid - well, you paid too much. If you toss and turn all night because you missed it and someone else snatched it up - it was priced right and you screwed up.

Bottom line - they aren't making them any more, and eventually they'll all be gone (or outlawed). Get 'em while you can!

About $600-$700 at most gun shows. Not all that long ago, CMP was getting $400 for them, but, remember, that price is ALWAYS well under market price.

The Cartouches look real enough to me, and seeing the condition that rifle is in, I would say it's NOT a rebuild, but one that didn't get used much at all.

About $600-$700 at most gun shows. Not all that long ago, CMP was getting $400 for them, but, remember, that price is ALWAYS well under market price.

The Cartouches look real enough to me, and seeing the condition that rifle is in, I would say it's NOT a rebuild, but one that didn't get used much at all.

I would wonder about the OG not being inside a square.

Thanx guys for all the input. I have asked the question about where it came from and am awaiting that answer. The price is starting to proceed above what I am willing to pay so it may become a moot point rather shortly anyhoo. I won't be tossing and turning if I don't get this one. [rofl] Thanx again guys. [smile]

I would wonder about the OG not being inside a square.

In doing some research of this I have found there are two O.G.E.K. stamps, one inside a box and the other without a box.

http://m1903.com/isstamps.htm

Then, apparently, there is just an OG on the left side of the stock as shown in the picture.

http://m1903.com/rbmarks.htm

Can one assume that this particular 03 made it through Ogden Arsenal, but was deemed not needing a rebuild, so no OGEK stamp, just an OG stamp for coming in and going out the door? Is that even the way it worked?

Last edited:
I don't think the OG is a cartouche.

THe RA and FJA are cartouches, and have enough wear, similar to the wear on the rifle to convince me thay are real. The OG looks new, and who knows why it's there.

It could be that it went in to Ogden, and was never rebuilt.

Either way, the rebuild cartouches aren't the key ones, the manufacture cartouches are, as it indicates the proper stock to go with the receiver.

This is real important on an 03-A3 if you get a Smith Corona rifle, with a non-Smith Corona stock.

Last edited:
You might want to do a little research..see if the barrel date is in sync with the reciever mfg date, although I would bet it probably is. I forgot the web site, maybe someone here knows it. you can check the dates. I think it's 1903.com. I think Nickle is right about the OG stamp. The reason some stamps are in box's and some not (and I know many of you know this) is differentiate between inspectors with the same initials.

Last edited:
I Printed out all that info a while back and put it in a binder. I could check later if he wanted to give the dates. do you know why they shut it down?

Springfield Armory's site (the National Historic site, not the company) has a list of serial numbers with approximate production times.

Remember that because most 03s went to the Pacific, many will have been rebarreled at some point in their life due to the intense corrosion exacerbated by corrosive ammo.

My 03 is one of what, by the official SA estimate, is one of the last 4000 made, but the barrel is a 1910.

Again, thanx for all the input guys. Great site here. I am going to pass on this one. It is over a grand right now and I do not need it that badly. [smile]

1903collector, thanx for the link. That is a great site. I need to learn.

Back
Top Bottom