• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I need an upper...

So I purchased a nice Colt preban AR-15 A2 lower recently, but I am having trouble finding a suitable upper. Part of my problem is that a lot people sell uppers in different stages of completion. I've seen stripped ones, some with a forward assist, some without, some with a barrel, some without, some have a BCG (I'm not even sure exactly what that is) some have a full auto BCG. I wish there was an "ARs for Dummies book" that I could buy. If I can't find a complete matching upper, I will do some research and buy the individual pieces. If anyone can explain the parts of an upper, that would help me a lot.

After I saw all the parts I needed to build thanks to warwickben it was obvious. Only part that's awkward is the gas tube assembly. But YouTube is your friend.

First question...is a BCG the same as a bolt carrier assembly?

Indeed. BCG= Bolt Carrier Group. Or assembly but it's not usually called that. Make sure you get a mil spec one and don't fall for the nickel boron bullshit.

After I saw all the parts I needed to build thanks to warwickben it was obvious. Only part that's awkward is the gas tube assembly. But YouTube is your friend.

Indeed. BCG= Bolt Carrier Group. Or assembly but it's not usually called that. Make sure you get a mil spec one and don't fall for the nickel boron bullshit.

My brother kept asking me to pick parts for him. I kept telling hint to pick a hand guard and buttstock so I can pick the rest for him.
It was like trying to explain shit to a monkey lol .

You where easy lol . You knew the main parts you wanted and I just found the odds and ends.

Gas block easy of you use a roll pin punch and vise. What we use the table and a lighter ? Lol

My brother kept asking me to pick parts for him. I kept telling hint to pick a hand guard and buttstock so I can pick the rest for him.
It was like trying to explain shit to a monkey lol .

You where easy lol . You knew the main parts you wanted and I just found the odds and ends.

Gas block easy of you use a roll pin punch and vise. What we use the table and a lighter ? Lol

[rofl]

Only thing I forgot about was the hand guard cap.

There are more parts than you think in a DI build. A piston has less but is about $300+ more.

I think my 14.5" build was around $725? We didn't cheap out on anything. I can find the list if you want OP.
Buy a complete Palmetto upper and be done with it.

They can be had for $400.

Yeah if you aren't picky and want a basic upper, that's your option.

[rofl]

Only thing I forgot about was the hand guard cap.

There are more parts than you think in a DI build. A piston has less but is about $300+ more.

I think my 14.5" build was around $725? We didn't cheap out on anything. I can find the list if you want OP.
Trying to explain carbin me stock rifle stock And the 3 different gas lengths was so hard to explain to my brother.

Piston has more or less he same amount of parts.

Just swaps out gas tube and gas key on bcg or new bolt carrier like my kit .

Did I give you my spare hand guard cap lol ? Idk why I had you order the delta ring stuff .

Civilian colt pre ban lowers often ( always?) had a different size hole and required unique upper or special offset adapter to attach standard upper. Figure out what u have before buying an upper

Here's the lower I purchased. The seller also included a pin that will accommodate a new style upper. I has a smaller OD in the middle.

lower.jpg

Back
Top Bottom