I know this is a stupid/easy law question, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DickWanner

Banned
If someone had an expired FID card still in their possession, do they have to retake the safety course(s). I'm at drill and don't have good internets. Thanks [grin]

5.15 CMR 3.05

Basic Firearms Safety Course Curriculum Approval Certification

(a) Any person lawfully licensed with a FID card on June 1, 1998 shall not be required to complete the statutorily required BFS course or submit a BFS certificate for:
1.) subsequent FID card renewals; or
2.) subsequent LTC licensure and renewals.

(b) Any person lawfully licensed with a LTC card on June 1, 1998 shall not be required to complete the statutorily required BFS course or submit a BFS certificate for:
1.) subsequent LTC renewals; or
2.) subsequent FID card licensure and renewals.

(c) Any person licensed after June 1, 1998 who completed a BFS course for an initial FID card or LTC shall not be required to complete a subsequent statutorily required BFS course or submit a BFS Certificate for FID card or LTC renewals.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopster...mr300_instructors_course_surrender&csid=Eeops

It has been my experience that regardless of what the law says, some PD's ignore this and force you to take a certified BFS course again at renewal time.
I've had an LTC since 1984 and when I moved to a different town, the PD made me take the course again. I cited 5.15 CMR 3.05, but they told me to my face "police officers have to requalify with their duty weapons periododically so we feel that civilians should have the same requirement".
So it was either take the course again or NOT get my LTC renewed.
YMMV.

It has been my experience that regardless of what the law says, some PD's ignore this and force you to take a certified BFS course again at renewal time.
I've had an LTC since 1984 and when I moved to a different town, the PD made me take the course again. I cited 5.15 CMR 3.05, but they told me to my face "police officers have to requalify with their duty weapons periododically so we feel that civilians should have the same requirement".
YMMV.

Figures they would and can't say I'm surprised. The guy is a fellow guardsman and resident of New Bedford and I have no licensing experience in New Bedford as my issuing PD was Fitchburg. I'll let him know the deal, but give him the heads up. Thanks guys [grin]

YMMV.
Wow...even in the face of the law which they uphold...they still spit

told me to my face "police officers have to requalify with their duty weapons periododically so we feel that civilians should have the same requirement".
One hopes that then you got an ALP LTC.

But obviously, police have different responsibilites and liailities. This is apples-to-oranges BS.

Should have asked him to do the police requalification test, and then see if you could open-carry, too.

I informed him about what's up. His LTC expired only a few years ago. He's a good guy, a bit older, and only really looking to do some trap/skeet shooting again. I told him to give me a call if they give him any crap and I'd help him with getting the course if he needed it.

Yea, it's called he didn't have the $100. If you'd like to donate his application fee now or in the future please let me know and I'll give you his contact info [grin]

"A few years" is more than the two you now claim.

And you expect us to believe the potential penalty for unlawful possession is less than the $100 app fee?

Try again.

And you expect us to believe the potential penalty for unlawful possession is less than the $100 app fee?

Try again.

EDIT: You know what, just go somewhere else and try to find things that aren't there. Please don't clutter up my thread with insults towards a fellow veteran.

Last edited:
i'll hook him up with $20 to get him going towards his renewal if he needs it, i've got no problem helping vets and NES members. [party2]

i'd pay the whole thing but cash is tight like i am sure he already has seen firsthand.

i'll hook him up with $20 to get him going towards his renewal if he needs it, i've got no problem helping vets and NES members. [party2]

i'd pay the whole thing but cash is tight like i am sure he already has seen firsthand.

He's looking to get his permit now because he's a little better off than he was a few years ago. I'm sure he more than appreciates the offer, I know I do for him [grin]

I'm going to try and hook him up at the shop too once he gets his permit.

YMMV.

My community made me go through the same BS.

I could have said something, but since I knew it would have been a losing battle, there was nothing to gain by going there.

Try again.

Unlawful possession of what?

I didn't see where the OP stated that his freind had any firearms currently under his roof.

Unlawful possession of what?

I didn't see where the OP stated that his freind had any firearms currently under his roof.

Neither is there any indication of his disposing of firearms acquired when he had the license he let expire.

True.

It is, however, the logical inference from the acquisition and holding of a license.

Honestly I do not know what he did or didn't have in his possession and if he still does. Frankly it doesn't matter. He came to me with some questions and I gave him answers and directions to go. Why does anything else matter?

Honestly I do not know what he did or didn't have in his possession and if he still does. Frankly it doesn't matter.

You have no more grasp of this issue than you do what section of the forum you should have posted this in.

If you did, you'd realize that the PD may well ask just that question when he files his application.

Just as you'd have known that PRE-'98 licensees are exempt from the safety requirement if they were licensed in July '98.

He came to me with some questions and I gave him answers and directions to go. Why does anything else matter?

The halt leading the lame. See above.

Neither is there any indication of his disposing of firearms acquired when he had the license he let expire.

I know several people who have LTC's and no firearms, and who have never even owned firearms, ever.

Welcome to NES.

Please choose from one of the following forthcoming responses...

A) "Knock it off".

B) "This thread is done".

C) "IBTL".

D) "Take it to IM".

E) [popcorn]

We hope your visit here has been a pleasant one.

You have no more grasp of this issue than you do what section of the forum you should have posted this in.

If you did, you'd realize that the PD may well ask just that question when he files his application.

Just as you'd have known that PRE-'98 licensees are exempt from the safety requirement if they were licensed in July '98.

The halt leading the lame. See above.

I have full grasp of the issue and that issue was answered long before you had to interject yourself into the conversation. Notice I used the word 'EXPIRE', that means I understand the pre-98 part. I also posted it here as I needed a quick answer, that I received quickly. The thread should have ended there, I honestly don't care about what the PD is going to ask him. I'm not his lawyer, it's none of my business.

Now please, go find some "noob" to bother because your tactics really aren't working here [grin]

Welcome to NES.

Please choose from one of the following forthcoming responses...

A) "Knock it off".

B) "This thread is done".

C) "IBTL".

D) "Take it to IM".

E) [popcorn]

We hope your visit here has been a pleasant one.

I'll take the 'lock this damn thread already' option as my questions have long since been answered and I'm tired of hearing crap come from the peanut gallery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom