P1010047.jpg

P1010049.jpg

P1010048.jpg

P1010051.jpg

P1010052.jpg

P1010050.jpg

This must be a repair, i guess.

P1010053.jpg

The numbers on this front band do not match the numbers on the rifle. I just noticed this. All other numbers match including the bolt. That is crap because I paid more for all matching numbers. I see why Mitchells Mausers get a bad rep! It's still a sweet rifle, though.

The numbers on this front band do not match the numbers on the rifle. I just noticed this. All other numbers match including the bolt. That is crap because I paid more for all matching numbers. I see why Mitchells Mausers get a bad rep! It's still a sweet rifle, though.

If you want to make the rifle factory correct, Tim (the OP of this thread) has done the most research on Mauser rifles out of anyone I know and should be able to give you some insight on what you really have and what you need to make it all matching (parts wise) if needed.

How does it shoot btw? I'm guessing the bore is nice because while MM has been known for cheating customers on the rifle's origins, the quality is usually top notch.
Still, its a nice clean rifle and if you do decide to swap any parts, you've got a fairly mint platform to start with from what I can see.[grin]

Yeah, it shoots great and it is mint. The bore is in great shape and the rest of the rifle is awesome. I love the polished bolt and buttplate. I have only shot MM ammo through it. I bought a bunch when I ordered the rifle. I can't remember how much I paid for it off the top of my head. I think it was a great purchase. You don't see Mausers in that shape every day. It is in much better shape that either of my Mosin Nagants. I haven't shot it in about a year, so I will have to bring it out soon!

OK, I don't know what numbers mean,.....

243 is the code for Mauser Borsigwalde (Berlin).
It's one of 237,661 K98k's made by this plant in 1939.

Yes, that looks like a field repair on the stock.
The numbers on the side of the barrel likely mean "batch number" and
definitely "year manufactured" (1939).
Too bad the upper band is not matching which I find a bit unethical
when offering a totally matching rifle.
The stock seems to have been reworked.
The serial on the l/h side of the butt points towards a RC, whereas
the X is not present. Does it show the serial on the underside of the
stock neck ?

Wow, thanks for info. Awesome info. I will pull the rifle out of the safe and let you know tonight. Thanks again +1, by the way!

stock neck ?

1939, 243 Mauser, Borsigwalde

Not to stick up for Mitchell Mausers[smile], but from what I learned they are only really guilty of stretching the truth in their advertising[wink]. "Mitchell’s Mausers announces the finding of a rare cache of near-new K98k Mauser rifles that survived the destruction of Nazi Germany". What they really do is take Russian capture Mausers, refurbish them, and try to put them back as close to issue condition as they can. So the rifles did in fact survive the destruction of Nazi Germany - in Russia. My 1940-147/Suhl is a Mitchell in Premium condition ($700) which means 10 guaranteed matching numbers; mine happens to have 12, and most Waffenamts match save for a couple of pieces, trigger, etc. I did take the nonmatching WaA77 (Steyr) bolt stop off the Mitchell and put it on my 1943 bnz/Steyr Mauser, swapping the WaA214 (Suhl) off the bnz. Collectors grade ($500) means 6 matching numbers. There is no such thing as an all matching Mitchell Mauser. You are guaranteed core matching numbers; receiver, barrel, stock, usually floor plate, and triggerguard. The stock will be a correct type for the year, 1935-1940 with flat butt plate and 10 inch cleaning rod, and 1941-1945 with a heavy pattern cupped butt plate 12 inch rod stock and sight hood. Stock markings are usually removed with the sanding and refinishing; my "H" Heer/Army stamp is barely visible. In my grade the bolt, bolt shroud, and cocking piece also match as do the bands. As the Germans did not stamp the stocks on the side by the take down lug, as has been said, is evidence of a RC. In addition some were peened and/or "X'd" on the receiver. Mitchell has also been accused of taking unmarked original parts and stamping them with serial numbers.

What you're paying for is the premium of having the rifle rearsenaled instead of doing it yourself. You can spend $300 most anywhere for a RC Mauser with a mixed basket of mismatching parts, incorrect stock, etc., and spend huge amounts on bringing it back yourself (I know, I've been there[rofl]). They are what they are; clean, semi-correct rearsenaled RC Mausers, in pretty decent shape.

MajSpud

Addendum: this particular rifle one of three Mitchell's I have seen where the stock is the wrong style for the action; early war action/mid-late war stock. A rifle could have had its stock replaced, but this action originally should have had a flat butt plate stock marked WaA26 - I can see the 26 on the receiver. See the WaA26 on the previous 1940 243 Mauser listing.

Addendum #2; the serial numbers went to 9999, then 1a to 9999a, then 1b to 9999b, etc., so by the "L" series, 119,988 rifles had already been produced by the factory. So yours is approximately the 122,369th produced in 1939, about half way through the production run.

Last edited:
P1010057.jpg

If this is what you mean by stock neck (underside of stock) then, yes, but it is barely visible. What does that mean?

stock neck ?

stock #

As I mentioned, Mitchell's refinishing tends to wipe out the markings. It looks like 2184 and some letter, J; this is not your serial number 2381L, and so is not the original stock your action came in. If you can find the WaA, you can trace the factory. The original location would be on the right side of the stock, between the take down lug and the butt plate (243 would be WaA26). There may be a single number on the wood just above the front end of the trigger guard. Your action would have had a "9" for 1939. This type of stock if it has one, will most likely be 1 or higher for 1941 and up.

MajSpud

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom