I have an unknown shotgun, need help!

I just got a VERY old double barrel 12g shotgun from a family member when she found it in the attic of her elderly passed away brother. Pics will follow when i can get some pictures but here's what i could find on it.

It is a approx. 28" side by side double barrel 12 gauge

It appears the manufacturer is NR Davis & Sons and it says "Fine Damascus"

patent date of Aug 3rd 1886

Fine etching on the metal parts

Currently does not fire and the wooden furniture is in terrible condition. I have not attempted to clean it or fix anything since i don't know yet on what I might have or any value of it. I cannot find a serial# either leading me to think this is possibly much older than the 1930's.

If anyone has any ideas on where i can start getting info let me know.

Thanks, Andrew

I can't tell you anything about the gun. Look carefully at the barrels. Do they show have a pattern on the barrels like a Damascus knife? Does it look something like this:

S617.PISTOL.%20800.JPG

If it does, then DO NOT SHOOT IT! Those old Damascus barrels are unsafe. The gun is a wall-hanger, not a shooter.

http://www.armchairgunshow.com/gunvalue.htm#damascus shotguns
http://www.hunter-ed.com/id/course/ch2_differences_between_guns.htm

thanks for the help guys, i definately wouldn't shoot it. to tell the truth with the condition it's in i don't know what to do with it. The shotgun is complete but needs some sort of restoration to even make it worthyto hang on a wall.

thanks for the help guys, i definately wouldn't shoot it. to tell the truth with the condition it's in i don't know what to do with it. The shotgun is complete but needs some sort of restoration to even make it worthyto hang on a wall.

Unlikely that it is worth spending any money on it.

n.r. davis shotgun.

n.r. davis shotguns were made in assonet mass.it was made for blackpowder
shells do not try to shoot it with modern ammo.try a google search for n.r. davis.good luck mike.

The way you describe it, it sounds like my very first gun when I was 12 yo. My uncle gave it to me back in 1958 and took me duck hunting with it.

It was and is a cheaply made gun and I agree with the others not to shoot it. I did shoot mine many, many times, though but wonder if ammo was different back then.

The internals of the gun were made from some very soft steel and the 'nitches' (sorry don't know the correct term) in the hammers that the trigger doohickies hooked into to keep the hammers back when cocked, wore out very quickly and on mine, at least, every so often, the 'doohickies' would slide off of the 'nitches' and the thing would fire by itself....damned near pooped myself when it did that. As a curious 12 yo, I dismantled it and did some smithin' and filed the notches out and made it considerably more reliable. I was amazed at how soft the metal was.

I sold it back in the 60's, and made sure the buyer was told it was good as a wallhanger only.

I wish I still had it as being my first gun, it does bring back some good memories of my late uncle.

Maybe it's the same one !

Back
Top Bottom