• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I hate blue herons. They would kill my fish in my pond like crazy.

used to be sooo jealous of eagles on Lake Onata grabbing 2-5 Lb. Trout . . . while I was taking 13 inch rainbows. Also watching otters wipe out the brookies on a little marshy brook close to home . .

Cormorants take 5 times the fish than GBH's do.
This! Cormorants don't mess around. There's a 40'x 50' Pond at my job. It was dug in the 1970's, the Water Table is about 5' down so it wasn't to tough. The business here before us was a Landscape/Nursery. The used it as their display fro Water Features. Fountains, Waterfalls & Lily's everywhere. I guess it was 20' deep when it was dug, it's at least 10' deep today. Even though it's about 120' from route 1, there's quite a little ecosystem going on. Spring Peepers, Frogs, Water Snakes, Turtles, Bass & Sunfish. The same Blue Heron stops almost every year in the Fall to feast for an hour up to a entire day. One year we had a Cormorant spend a few days at the pond. He damn near emptied it. In the evenings we'd see him perched on our picknick table, drying his wings. The last day he was here he took off mid day. He flew over the pond, struggling to get his fat ass off the ground. He was probably 10' in the air as he approached Route 1. A trailer truck nailed him. He was splattered all over the road, with fish everywhere.

Kill em all. Wipe out all the birds. They all suck. Except for chickens, ducks and turkeys. The rest need to be eradicated. LOL

How about no!???

I watch heron (blue and green), cormorants, loons, bald eagles, otters and others grab fish from the lake. It's not exclusively mine. Live and let live.

Not in Massachusetts. Technically there's a trapping ban, de-facto, here. If you think that you can catch otters in a cage trap set out of the water then have at it, because that's the only legal method here. Pro tip- make sure that your cage trap is super well built, otherwise an otter will rip it apart. Good Luck.

Well the otters you can trap.

Congrats on your federal crime:

Herons & the Law
Great Blue Herons are protected by the Federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918. It is illegal to capture, possess, or cause harm to a Great Blue Heron or its nest or eggs. Learn more

Cormorants take 5 times the fish than GBH's do.

Check out Little Galloo Island in Lake Ontario. The cormorants got so over populated that the locals took matters into their own hands after the state of NY wouldn't.
Another pro tip- Don't be in a boat and downwind of the island in the summer. The stench will gag you.

When we had the lake house in NH a big BH would sit in a shallow cove near the house and catch fish. One day I was sitting on the deck and saw him sitting still in the pines. He was watching a chipmunk hole. A chipmunk came out and he grabbed it. He took it to the lake, got it good and wet and swallowed it. Looks like they like things other than fish also. Jack.

I don't enjoy watching those killers eating all my fish after spending 500$ to stock my ponds. We have a trout hatchery near where I live and they had so many blue herons (about 50) at one time feeding on the trout that they finally put nets over the runs. They tried to shock them and other things to stop the carnage, but I don't know if the nets worked. I do know that they have a heart that is twice as big as a 20 pound turkey's heart. Ask me how I know.

i

Cormorants are terrible in numbers. They will decimate a shoreline of vital trees when nesting. What they have done to the Thousand islands in the short time they have proliferated is downright criminal. The amount of guano they drop kills everything.

I wish they opened a limited hunt.

So if I understand the OP correctly, you killed a great blue heron because you were upset it killed your fish and did not eat it. So how does Heron taste?

Also, FYI, Google says that the heron is a federally protected species under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, with fines or prison sentences available for anyone killing or attempting to kill one.

So if I understand the OP correctly, you killed a great blue heron because you were upset it killed your fish and did not eat it. So how does Heron taste?

Also, FYI, Google says that the heron is a federally protected species under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, with fines or prison sentences available for anyone killing or attempting to kill one.
Good response and makes sense. Sounds like the "bucket biologists" I've met up in NH. I took a trip up to a pond east of Conway nh many years ago to get in some early ice fishing. I'm from mass. I think it was pea porridge pond. The water holds a fair amount of rainbows. I caught a couple keepers but kept landing the occasional pickerel and releasing them. After I released 2 or 3 a local came over and told me quite sternly "we kill the pickerel here they eat the trout you need to leave them on the ice". I told him they are my fish I'll release them if I want.....there is no regulations that says they are a kill species. He left......and came back a few minute later after I released another pickerel and told me the other guys on the lake want me to leave! Told him to leave me alone or I'd call the boys in green.

Some of the locals are complete a**h***s. That pond was littered with dead frozen pickerel from the locals. Looked terrible and definitely not a good display for relations with the non sporting public.

Cormorants are terrible in numbers. They will decimate a shoreline of vital trees when nesting. What they have done to the Thousand islands in the short time they have proliferated is downright criminal. The amount of guano they drop kills everything.

I wish they opened a limited hunt.

There is a rock they congregate on in Assawompsett near the dam. We call it bird-poop rock. Rest of the locals call it white rock or something. There's a reason it's white.

Good response and makes sense. Sounds like the "bucket biologists" I've met up in NH. I took a trip up to a pond east of Conway nh many years ago to get in some early ice fishing. I'm from mass. I think it was pea porridge pond. The water holds a fair amount of rainbows. I caught a couple keepers but kept landing the occasional pickerel and releasing them. After I released 2 or 3 a local came over and told me quite sternly "we kill the pickerel here they eat the trout you need to leave them on the ice". I told him they are my fish I'll release them if I want.....there is no regulations that says they are a kill species. He left......and came back a few minute later after I released another pickerel and told me the other guys on the lake want me to leave! Told him to leave me alone or I'd call the boys in green.

Some of the locals are complete a**h***s. That pond was littered with dead frozen pickerel from the locals. Looked terrible and definitely not a good display for relations with the non sporting public.

I've heard that story many times. "Oh, picks will destroy the balance." I've been fishing 11 yrs in a pond full of picks. Have yet to see them disturb the balance.

OTOH, I've heard plenty of locals complain that pickerel is a trash fish and others outside of the area talk about how great it is. I toss em all back. But a big pick looks. . . . .well, prehistoric.

There is a rock they congregate on in Assawompsett near the dam. We call it bird-poop rock. Rest of the locals call it white rock or something. There's a reason it's white.

I've heard that story many times. "Oh, picks will destroy the balance." I've been fishing 11 yrs in a pond full of picks. Have yet to see them disturb the balance.

OTOH, I've heard plenty of locals complain that pickerel is a trash fish and others outside of the area talk about how great it is. I toss em all back. But a big pick looks. . . . .well, prehistoric.
I love catching pig picks......but I put em back.

My son calls em slime darts.

Your honor, my client never specified where he examined and tasted the Heron heart. My client has traveled extensively and there's no proof that he did so in this country. Or at all.

I love catching pig picks......but I put em back.

My son calls em slime darts.

I'm less concerned with slime and more concerned with those damned teeth. So it's a pair of grabbers for me. No touchy! What's worst is they tend to fight out of the water so much they will often cut the line. Gotta keep em OVER the boat while you get the grabbers on them. I've lost 3-4 good spinnerbaits trying to get them unhooked over the water. LOL

I'm less concerned with slime and more concerned with those damned teeth. So it's a pair of grabbers for me. No touchy! What's worst is they tend to fight out of the water so much they will often cut the line. Gotta keep em OVER the boat while you get the grabbers on them. I've lost 3-4 good spinnerbaits trying to get them unhooked over the water. LOL
I'm a hard water angler for pickerel. They are very active in Feb and early March. I use a steel leader to avoid break offs.

I know this is just mother nature but I hate it. Full-grown prey = OK. Baby creatures = not OK

Back
Top Bottom