I Finally Shot an ACCURATE Rifle!

USMA-82

NES Member
A friend from my Bullseye team has been talking about how well his rifles shoot, but I've never had a chance to sample for myself - until today.

Found him shooting at the range with a Remington 700 that had been set up with a .222 Shilen stainless steel barrel with a .246 neck. He was shooting handloads using 2015 powder and Norma brass. Each round had the necks lathed down to about a .0085 thickness. I don't remember what scope he was using, but I believe it was a Leupold.

I had never shot a "Varmint" rifle before, but I gave it a try, shooting five rounds from a sandbag at 100 yards:

5shotgroup8-9-09.jpg

Holy crap! All five rounds into a single hole that measured .436" at the greatest dimension. That figure minus the caliber (.222") means a five-shot group of .214 inches!

I wonder what I could do with a little practice....

Nice job!!!![smile]

Got to love those Varmint Rifles!!! I had a Ruger M77 bull barrel in 22-250 that would shoot groups like that. From the bench of course.

I dunno what everyone's all excited about. You missed the box in the center...

[KIDDING]

Nice shootin', Ken. As others have said, the gun helps, but it's the finger on the trigger and the steady hands that make a group like that possible.

I have a feeling that rifle in my hands would yield a shotgun-like pattern...

nice shooting! i can't wait for my 700 to be done.

i had my mosin one day and PSS had his... PSS. such a difference between those two. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom