I finally found a suitable replacement for my Glock 19 as an EDC.

I love my P01. I usually carry my g26, since I'm stuck with 10 rounds here in PRCT, I usually stick with the smaller size. That said, the CZs have the best ergos of any gun I have ever held. The CGW race hammer, extended FP, and lighter springs have really smoother out and overall dramatically changed the trigger. Can't wait to get it into some IDPA action!

Is it me or the newer the handgun, the better the grip over the previous? VP9 and P320 come to mind. And I mean better as in pick it up without any acquired muscle memory yet and the correct sight picture is right on.

I find that my 1911, and Glock were about equally quick to pick up, point, and be on target with. Not perfect, but not half bad. On the other hand my Ruger Blackhawk, with the grip design essentially unchanged from the 1870s, was naturally on target from the first time I picked it up. The CZ 75 I've shot was much closer to the Blackhawk than to the other semi-autos.

If I were guessing as to the reason, I'd say this: while we've learned a lot about ergonomics and materials in the last couple hundred years, we've also gained a raft other other considerations. Magazines need to fit in the grip, hold as many rounds as possible, and function reliably. Extra work for manufacturing workers, which was basically free in 1910 compared to the cost of the materials and tooling, is now more than half the price of the finished gun. All the extra controls need for modern actions impose additional requirements. The mag release, slide lock, safety/decocker, and any other bits that are relevant all need to be highly accessible to the user. Ejecting brass and a moving slide can't hit the shooter's hand. The whole thing needs to be able to be stored in a leather or plastic holster for hours or days, held in a sweaty hand without slipping, and dropped on rough ground without rusting, breaking, or denting significantly.

Nothing does all these things perfectly. Of the designs which do all of them adequately, a handful of those are excellent in a few ways. With CZ, the standout is their ergonomics.

Not many action pistol matches in Vermont, but is his work suitable for a carry gun?

Yes. Angus runs the CZ custom shop. He's also a nationally ranked USPSA shooter.

Either way, if you have a CZ that you want to run better, the CZ custom shop should warrant your consideration.

- - - Updated - - -

I love my P01. I usually carry my g26, since I'm stuck with 10 rounds here in PRCT, I usually stick with the smaller size. That said, the CZs have the best ergos of any gun I have ever held. The CGW race hammer, extended FP, and lighter springs have really smoother out and overall dramatically changed the trigger. Can't wait to get it into some IDPA action!

psst. Nobody actually carries with only 10 rounds in CT. PA 13-3 only makes it a civil (non-criminal) infraction (like a parking ticket) if you are caught carrying a legally possessed magazine with more than 10 rounds in it. At least thats the case for your first offense. After that its criminal.

Sect 24 provides the instances when possessing a large capacity magazine (LCM) is legal with restrictions to not loading more than 10 rounds.

Here is the language referencing sect 24:

(c) Except as provided in this section and section 24 of this act: (1) Any person who possesses a large capacity magazine on or after January 1, 2014, that was obtained prior to the effective date of this section shall commit an infraction and be fined not more than ninety dollars for a first offense and shall be guilty of a class D felony for any subsequent offense, and (2) any person who possesses a large capacity magazine on or after January 1, 2014, that was obtained on or after the effective date of this section shall be guilty of a class D felony.

Last edited:
Yes. Angus runs the CZ custom shop. He's also a nationally ranked USPSA shooter.

Either way, if you have a CZ that you want to run better, the CZ custom shop should warrant your consideration.

- - - Updated - - -

psst. Nobody actually carries with only 10 rounds in CT. PA 13-3 only makes it a civil (non-criminal) infraction (like a parking ticket) if you are caught carrying a legally possessed magazine with more than 10 rounds in it. At least thats the case for your first offense. After that its criminal.

Sect 24 provides the instances when possessing a large capacity magazine (LCM) is legal with restrictions to not loading more than 10 rounds.

Here is the language referencing sect 24:

(c) Except as provided in this section and section 24 of this act: (1) Any person who possesses a large capacity magazine on or after January 1, 2014, that was obtained prior to the effective date of this section shall commit an infraction and be fined not more than ninety dollars for a first offense and shall be guilty of a class D felony for any subsequent offense, and (2) any person who possesses a large capacity magazine on or after January 1, 2014, that was obtained on or after the effective date of this section shall be guilty of a class D felony.
Provided I registered mags, I could.

I will check them out. I also note that there's a shop that sells drop in components in the thread referenced in post 12 - I think I'll look into that, too. Learning more about my own gun is always preferable! (and I have others I can carry while working on or getting the CZ worked on and proving out the mods reliable).

I will check them out. I also note that there's a shop that sells drop in components in the thread referenced in post 12 - I think I'll look into that, too. Learning more about my own gun is always preferable! (and I have others I can carry while working on or getting the CZ worked on and proving out the mods reliable).

dwarven1 - exactly what I am doing. Ordered 3 kits from CGW (disco, SRS, hammer), along with a couple of slave pins (sear, trigger) and a few spare springs. A few tools from CZ custom, tweezers and steel dental pick from amazon (good deal with prime shipping). Have finished converting my P01 into a pile of parts. Lost just 1 spring in the process (FP block lifter) since I was not careful enough. Now waiting now for USPS to deliver the goodies.

I will post an update when done. The hardest part is the sear /ejector cage - 3 springs, 3 other metal parts fitted into the cage. Took an hour the first time - second time for practice and memory was just 5 mins.

dwarven1 - exactly what I am doing. Ordered 3 kits from CGW (disco, SRS, hammer), along with a couple of slave pins (sear, trigger) and a few spare springs. A few tools from CZ custom, tweezers and steel dental pick from amazon (good deal with prime shipping). Have finished converting my P01 into a pile of parts. Lost just 1 spring in the process (FP block lifter) since I was not careful enough. Now waiting now for USPS to deliver the goodies.

I will post an update when done. The hardest part is the sear /ejector cage - 3 springs, 3 other metal parts fitted into the cage. Took an hour the first time - second time for practice and memory was just 5 mins.

At least you're honest about whose fault is the missing part! (self-honesty - very important! keeps you humble and able to learn from your mistakes.)

I remember the first time I tried taking apart the trigger group on my 10/22 - or, for that matter, my Mark II. There's a definite learning curve! But it's good to know how things work. And how to improve them.

Done with the upgrades! It was a little messy, little things tripped me up. But now my pistol is ready! Incredibly smooth, amazingly crisp trigger and short reset on SA! DA now stands at about 8 lb and SA about 3.5 pounds. Sweet! And as a bonus I magically found the tiny L spring on my carpet so I now have a spare! I will write detailed notes later on everything I did. Falling asleep with a big smile on my face!

Agh, you all are fanning my desire to pick up a CZ75 or P01 as soon as I get out of MA (2 weeks and counting). Like I don't have enough expensive toys already... My 452 has definitely sold me on CZ quality.

Die Hard 2 !

Since i had such a blast stripping my CZ P01 to bare frame and slide and then rebuilding it to an awesome gun, i decided to take on the sights today. I have the cz sight tool from Cajun, and the ED 9/40 fiber / serrated black rear Dawson sight. Fought a bit to get the rear in, before i realized minor sanding on the side of the Novak (0.004 inch) would do the trick! After i won the fight with the rear sight, a little bit of cold bluing solution hid my sins.

So this is my all finished CZ 75 P01! the fiber + serrated black rear sight is amazing. I will write up detailed notes on things to watch out for...

One other question. In my notifications today, i had two "reps" that disappeared from view before i could read them. I cannot find them anywhere on my profile.. my feed back scores are all from purchases or sales. So my questions.. where do i find these "reps".. and how do i know if they were positive?
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 116
  • image_1.jpg
    image_1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 111
  • image_2.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 111
  • image_3.jpg
    image_3.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 14
  • image_4.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 116
One other question. In my notifications today, i had two "reps" that disappeared from view before i could read them. I cannot find them anywhere on my profile.. my feed back scores are all from purchases or sales. So my questions.. where do i find these "reps".. and how do i know if they were positive?

If the reps disappeared the posts you got them on probably got nuked, a mod probably nuked a thread somewhere and took them out with it. This is a "shit happens" part of killing or sanitizing a thread, unfortunately.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom