• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I finally found a suitable replacement for my Glock 19 as an EDC.

After 2 years, I finally found a new EDC to replace my Glock 19. Not that i am not happy with the Glock, it was just its time to be replaced. I am a HUGE CZ fan, so naturally, my new EDC is another CZ!

The first picture is my old Glock 19. I bought it with the stippling. The second picture is my new EDC, and the third picture was my new CZ'z first trip to the range. The target was set up 35 feet away.

Its about the same size as the Glock 19, but fits the hand so much better than a Glock. Now, I dont have an issue with Glocks, or shooting them, I just prefer the CZ platform over a Glock. In my opinion, CZ's point better, shoot better, and fit better than a Glock.

IMAG0257.jpg IMAG0259.jpg IMAG0264.jpg

That's the Compact right, same thing? Can you explain what it is about CZs that makes them special? i've never held one in my hand. Should go to Shooters and try one out.

I hope the slide is not like a Browning HP, I'm not ripped enough to own one of those.

Nice. Before I read the OP, I was thinking, "nothing could replace my CZ P-01". Then I see you have the P-01 too! An excellent choice!

I had my P-01 out a few weeks ago, plinking small propane tanks at 50yds. It's the most accurate pistol for me.

That's the Compact right, same thing? Can you explain what it is about CZs that makes them special? i've never held one in my hand. Should go to Shooters and try one out.

I hope the slide is not like a Browning HP, I'm not ripped enough to own one of those.

That's a compact, the P-01. The CZ PCR is basically the same without the rail. Those have decockers and alloy frame. The CZ Compact has a safety and steel frame.

They fit the hand very well and aim naturally for many people. Very well made and accurate.

Definitely try one out if you get a chance. They go for ~$500 online, but MA prices on these are beyond full retard.

Is it your first Glock? I wonder if the trigger guard shave, and the stippling job ruined your experience?

No, i have many Glocks, I just prefer the CZ. the Glock is a great platform, and they actually fit my hand well, but CZ's are just the perfect firearm for me in terms in fit, finish, weight, and accuracy.

That's a compact, the P-01. The CZ PCR is basically the same without the rail. Those have decockers and alloy frame. The CZ Compact has a safety and steel frame.

They fit the hand very well and aim naturally for many people. Very well made and accurate.

Definitely try one out if you get a chance. They go for ~$500 online, but MA prices on these are beyond full retard.

Thanks for the info - yeah the high MA price and the lack of pre-bans (I assume?) is a turn-off, but part of me likes to get stuff that Martha tries to keep from us.

I worked with a kid that was high on CZ, always talking them up. I don't know what model he had but he invited me up to his range in nh to give it a workout, yeah, I was impressed. I thought the trigger was really decent out of the box. He told me Dan Wesson is owned by CZ, first I heard of it. Their new semi autos were top quality also. Don't know how involved CZ is in their manufacture but a DW 10mm is on my list. Happy for you finding that ideal gun, it should serve you well.

I love my P01. Preban CZ75 compact mags are out there if you can find them. Also, be careful changing the grips out on the P01. You can strip out the threads for the grip screw holes if you're not careful. Part of the issue is that the holes on some of the aftermarket (and factory? http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?topic=45325.0 ) grip panels don't line up exactly.

Thanks for the info - yeah the high MA price and the lack of pre-bans (I assume?) is a turn-off, but part of me likes to get stuff that Martha tries to keep from us.

The real problem is CZ does not make enough guns to meet market demand. That's my only gripe with the company.

-Mike

Just a couple of things to keep in mind in the Glock vs CZ discussion.

1) The CZ has a double action pull of somewhere around 11 lbs. This could be a problem when combined with the thicker grip and longer reach, for some smaller men, or women. In stock configuration, based on my short time shooting one, the single action trigger is not any better than a Glock trigger.

2) The CZ weighs about a half pound more than the G19. (20 vs 28 oz) This has good points and bad points. Its just something you should know.

Other perceptions of the one I tried.
1) its much more accurate when fired slowly than my Glock. In fact, its almost as accurate as my Les Baer 1911. The slide is very snug to the frame, unlike the Glock.

2) the grip is very nice.

3) No plastic gun can ever be as "nice" as an all metal gun. When it comes to pride of ownership, it can't be beat.

With all that said. I'll keep my G19. Mainly because I shoot it well when I'm shooting fast and the fact that I'm a wuss when it comes to weight. The G19 is on the upper edge of what I'll carry. As I write this I'm wearing my G26. And last night I carried my Kahr P380 in my pocket. So another half pound would not cut it for me. Oh yeah, and I don't like da/sa triggers.

But if the trigger works for you, and the weight doesn't bother you. Its a great gun.

Don

p.s. One more thing. Just like the Glock, the CZ has terrible sights. Unlike the Glock, they were metal, but they were these itty bitty little thing, like you'd find on a mid 80s Colt 1911. While I don't like the white outline on Glock sights, I can fix it for free simply by flipping them around.

Just a couple of things to keep in mind in the Glock vs CZ discussion.

1) The CZ has a double action pull of somewhere around 11 lbs. This could be a problem when combined with the thicker grip and longer reach, for some smaller men, or women. In stock configuration, based on my short time shooting one, the single action trigger is not any better than a Glock trigger.

2) The CZ weighs about a half pound more than the G19. (20 vs 28 oz) This has good points and bad points. Its just something you should know.

Other perceptions of the one I tried.
1) its much more accurate when fired slowly than my Glock. In fact, its almost as accurate as my Les Baer 1911. The slide is very snug to the frame, unlike the Glock.

2) the grip is very nice.

3) No plastic gun can ever be as "nice" as an all metal gun. When it comes to pride of ownership, it can't be beat.

With all that said. I'll keep my G19. Mainly because I shoot it well when I'm shooting fast and the fact that I'm a wuss when it comes to weight. The G19 is on the upper edge of what I'll carry. As I write this I'm wearing my G26. And last night I carried my Kahr P380 in my pocket. So another half pound would not cut it for me. Oh yeah, and I don't like da/sa triggers.

But if the trigger works for you, and the weight doesn't bother you. Its a great gun.

Don

p.s. One more thing. Just like the Glock, the CZ has terrible sights. Unlike the Glock, they were metal, but they were these itty bitty little thing, like you'd find on a mid 80s Colt 1911. While I don't like the white outline on Glock sights, I can fix it for free simply by flipping them around.

The sights do suck pretty bad, but its surprisingly easy to get a good sight picture.

I did installed a full trigger package on my SP01 (cajun gun works) and that wasnt all that bad to do. Doing the trigger myself let me understand how a CZ works. I did take my P01 apart and polished off the entire trigger. Its still about 10lbs for the double action, but its incredibly smooth now. The single action isnt as nice as it is on my Sp01, but this is a carry firearm and i would never put a 3 pound trigger on my carry pistol. It is sitting at a nice and comfortable 5 pound pull.

Love my CZ's. I recently picked up a CZ-75 compact and hope to shoot it soon.

I do like Glocks. I often carry one. But I enjoy shooting the CZ-75 way more. Nice hand fit and quite accurate. And it just works, as does the Glock.

When I take folks to the range who are newbies, I'll ask them at the end which handgun and rifle they preferred to shoot. The CZ-452 rifle is often the favorite long gun, and the CZ-75B is virtually always the favorite handgun.

Oh, and the CZ-75B .22 conversion kit is remarkably accurate too. And a lot of fun to shoot.

Oh, and the CZ-75B .22 conversion kit is remarkably accurate too. And a lot of fun to shoot.

I want to pick up a Kadet. Was curious about them. Just don't want to spend $400 and then have to go hunt for ammo. Maybe when 22 becomes a little more available (I'm thinking next Spring/summer as I see it on the shelves more often lately)

Love my CZ's. Have been thinking about picking up a Rami. I just can't find one at a decent price. Almost picked up a P01 as a compliment to my SP01 but adding the weight, size, and having to use neutered mags turned me off. However if I ever get the chance to move to a free state it would be the first gun I pick up.

agree the CZ 75 is wicked, particularly the SP-01 or P-01.
however they're also like 10 oz heavier than a G19.

I don't notice the weight of my CZ75BD in it's Dragon Leatherworks Flatjack holster. I do notice that it fits my hand like it was made for it. A Glock fits my hand like a brick.

I used to use my CZ75B for Steel Challenge and didn't have a problem with the first shot fired DA. (I did have a problem with decocking it, though! That's why I now have a BD version. Much less pucker factor decocking it.)

Sights... yeah, they could be better. Just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I'll also likely send it to Dave Santurri to have him work his magic on the trigger. He did the last one I had and did a nice job.

But overall... well, I own a CZ and carry it. I don't even own a Glock any more. That should tell you how I view the two guns.

For what its worth, if you want to fix that (IMHO) terrible DA trigger, you can send it off to Angus Hobdell at CZ custom.

I sent my Dan Wesson PM9 off to him for some minor work and it came back very nicely done.
Angus is a USPSA guy so he knows how a gun should shoot.

Don

For what its worth, if you want to fix that (IMHO) terrible DA trigger, you can send it off to Angus Hobdell at CZ custom.

I sent my Dan Wesson PM9 off to him for some minor work and it came back very nicely done.

Don
Not many action pistol matches in Vermont, but is his work suitable for a carry gun?

The sights do suck pretty bad, but its surprisingly easy to get a good sight picture.

I did installed a full trigger package on my SP01 (cajun gun works) and that wasnt all that bad to do. Doing the trigger myself let me understand how a CZ works. I did take my P01 apart and polished off the entire trigger. Its still about 10lbs for the double action, but its incredibly smooth now. The single action isnt as nice as it is on my Sp01, but this is a carry firearm and i would never put a 3 pound trigger on my carry pistol. It is sitting at a nice and comfortable 5 pound pull.

leewongfei - thanks for the post. I just bought one and agree with your points. I am not sure how much travel reduction in total (pre, post) I can get with the Cajun kit. Can you estimate the before / after? I think the total as-is travel is about 0.4 inches.

i also ordered Mepro night sights.

leewongfei - thanks for the post. I just bought one and agree with your points. I am not sure how much travel reduction in total (pre, post) I can get with the Cajun kit. Can you estimate the before / after? I think the total as-is travel is about 0.4 inches.

i also ordered Mepro night sights.

The cajun gun works reach reduction is about 1/4 of an inch. It pretty much gets rid of the pre travel slop that the factory trigger has.

Don

I didnt see the point in sending it to them, or anyone when i felt confident that i could do the work myself on my SP01. My trigger pull and weight where right on point and matched what schmecky (Cajun gun works) could do perfectly. The CZ while complex, was surprisingly easy. The hardest part was replacing the firing pin block spring. It took me about a half hour to figure out how to out it back in.

Is it me or the newer the handgun, the better the grip over the previous? VP9 and P320 come to mind. And I mean better as in pick it up without any acquired muscle memory yet and the correct sight picture is right on.

Last edited:
Is it me or the newer the handgun, the better the grip over the previous? VP9 and P320 come to mind. And I mean better as in pick it up without any acquired muscle memory yet and the correct sight picture is right on.

well the cz75 series was created in 1975 and the ergos are better than most modern guns and it points better IMO.

Back
Top Bottom