• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I f'ed up with the M4A3 bolt carrier

I was cleaning the blowback tube with a mini q-tip and some cotton got in there. I tried using a really thin rod to kind of pinch and pull it out but it just went further in.

I am not going to shoot the rifle until it is out, does anyone have a trick? With the two allen head bolts being pinched on the top of the blowback tube it is obvious I am not supposed to touch them.

I am going to try to blow compressed air through it but I know it wont help. I guess there's another trip to Larocca this weekend, ugh.

Take you are talking about the bolt key.

Try using a small drill bit. The cuts in the bit should be able to grab the cotton. Lightly twist the bit while pulling out.

GL!

There is no reason to clean that hole, nor is there any reason to clean the gas tube.

ARs can run while incredibly dirty if you just keep them lubed up.

I shot nearly 700 rounds in a day in a carbine class a couple of years ago and all I did to keep it running was at lunch squirt some CLP into the cam pin hole and around the bolt where it goes into the carrier.

The rifle was nasty inside but never missed a beat.

Someone just recommended that I use a lighter and just let it burn up, it'll take a second, the rifle is used to more heat and I wont have to jam anything in there.

I'm going to give it a whirl.

I clean the tube out every time myself, it said to lube it at least in the DPMS manual so why not clean it. This is the first time cotton got stuck in there.

Someone on ar15.com said just to shoot the gun because it's 1,000 psi anyhow.

I am wondering what the worst case scenario would be, would I lose half of my face? Would the cotton burn up from the heat, if it is just pushed out where would it go?

I use a pretty damn hot torch for a good 8 seconds and it did nothing but every so lightly darken the cotton. I dont want to hold the torch there all day, the gun is new and I just dont want to hold heat on one part of the metal while the other section of metal doesnt get as hot.....call me paranoid.

I'd burn it out with a lighter or blow torch even,,,,

There is no reason to clean that hole

Easy there Nacho Libre, stay in your lane, you clean that hole so it doesn't get bunked up with carbon and you don't end up with malfunctions. That's not upper level echelon cleaning -- you have to do it.

700 rounds a day, whew, like wow. That's manly.

You should clean your weapons more, especially gas related systems that can bog down with carbon, that way your weapon doesn't fail you when you need it the most.

Easy there Nacho Libre, stay in your lane, you clean that hole so it doesn't get bunked up with carbon and you don't end up with malfunctions. That's not upper level echelon cleaning -- you have to do it.

You should clean your weapons more, especially gas related systems that can bog down with carbon, that way your weapon doesn't fail you when you need it the most.

Oh boy.[popcorn][laugh]

Just shoot it....And never use Q-tips for anything besides swabbing the gunk out of your ear. I rarely clean the gas key, but do hit it with some brake cleaner, or a few drops of Hoppes9 or BenchRest if it's needed, (which is rare)...And for God's sake, stay away from pipe cleaners in your gas tube - not necessary.

Could you please post your credentials since you seem to know a lot more than Jose ?

I know Jose's,but you have been here what,all of 30 days ?

Going green doesn't give you automatic shit talking credentials.

Could you please post your credentials since you seem to know a lot more than Jose ?

I know Jose's,but you have been here what,all of 30 days ?

Going green doesn't give you automatic shit talking credentials.

My credentials, who are you?

[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

Well done sir!!!

+2

The dash 10 (TM 9-1005-319-10) says to clean the key with a used bore brush and then use a pipe cleaner to dry it after you put one drop of lube in the carrier key. Like most things military, users should use their thinking caps first.

B

87224486.jpg

30654919.jpg

There's a lesson here -- I shouldn't be so cocky/friendly until I have some time here, but, anyone who knows me knows that's who I am. I don't make quiet entrances or keep my opinions to myself very often.... When it comes to subjects that I'm knowledgeable about and feel comfortable talking about.

And, people on this site, or any site, should not think that a certain number of posts, or that NES Membership time/color of your screen name means anything when it comes to shooting talent, education, or experience.

I have nothing against Greg for calling me out, I am outspoken and opinionated and I expect that from time to time. And I don't claim to know more then Derek, EC, Jose or anyone else here. In fact I'm certain that I can learn something from them, and everybody I come in contact with. But I do know a few things, and have plenty of platform and actual range time instructing various shooters and on various weapon systems to back it all up.

It's over, next.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom