• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I can' believe I didn't get one a long time ago!!

All I can say is WOW! I just got a new S&W 1911 DK. I've mostly used Sigs and Glocks and a couple others till this point. This is absolutely one hell of a gun!!! At 30 feet from a bench I was shooting into the same hole practically- well maybe a 1/2" hole. Off handed (slow fire two hands) I was shooting unbelievable groups (at least for me). At one point I was checking to make sure I was hitting the target because I couldn't see that the shots were going in the same place! I've struggled a bit to improve my trigger control and Jim Conway helped me work on a few things but this gun is just smooth as a peach!! It's so nice to see single ragged holes in my targets!! I can't wait to shoot more. I can't imagine what it would be like with a trigger job!! Yikes!

All I can say is WOW! I just got a new S&W 1911 DK. I've mostly used Sigs and Glocks and a couple others till this point. This is absolutely one hell of a gun!!! At 30 feet from a bench I was shooting into the same hole practically- well maybe a 1/2" hole. Off handed (slow fire two hands) I was shooting unbelievable groups (at least for me). At one point I was checking to make sure I was hitting the target because I couldn't see that the shots were going in the same place! I've struggled a bit to improve my trigger control and Jim Conway helped me work on a few things but this gun is just smooth as a peach!! It's so nice to see single ragged holes in my targets!! I can't wait to shoot more. I can't imagine what it would be like with a trigger job!! Yikes!

If you want to try one with a nice crisp 3# trigger, let me know [smile]

Welcome to the 1911 world.

I really want one in 10mm. I'm not crazy about paying the ridiculous price for e Delta Elite in Mass though.

Lugnut-

Good buy. The DK is a fine piece of gear for the money. I almost
bought one as a starting point for a bowling pin gun, and I still might end
up doing that in the future. I almost picked up a barely used DK
the other day on a lark, but I'm sorta jonesing to get myself another
rifle, at the moment.

If you're going to get a trigger job done on it, wait until you got like 500
rounds through it or so, or a few hundred and some dryfires. This gives
the gunsmith a better baseline to work off of, as the sear and other
parts will be "broken in" when he gets the gun.

1911s, and their offshoots, are addictive. I think the design is
antiquated in some regards, but theres still just nothing getting around
the pure awesomeness of a good 1911. I'm at 4 1911s
now, and 5 if you include the SW945, although thats not really a 1911, it
borrows a lot of the same design concepts. (low bore axis, "direct" trigger,
good grip profile, etc).

-Mike

Lugnut-

Good buy. The DK is a fine piece of gear for the money. I almost
bought one as a starting point for a bowling pin gun, and I still might end
up doing that in the future. I almost picked up a barely used DK
the other day on a lark, but I'm sorta jonesing to get myself another
rifle, at the moment.

If you're going to get a trigger job done on it, wait until you got like 500
rounds through it or so, or a few hundred and some dryfires. This gives
the gunsmith a better baseline to work off of, as the sear and other
parts will be "broken in" when he gets the gun.

1911s, and their offshoots, are addictive. I think the design is
antiquated in some regards, but theres still just nothing getting around
the pure awesomeness of a good 1911. I'm at 4 1911s
now, and 5 if you include the SW945, although thats not really a 1911, it
borrows a lot of the same design concepts. (low bore axis, "direct" trigger,
good grip profile, etc).

-Mike

Good advice Mike. I do think I'll enjoy shooting it for a while before having someone work on the trigger. Darius keeps raving about his guy that works on 1911s and had me thinking. Either way- I'm tickled pink for now!

I hope they're not too addictive.... I'll be in more trouble than I'm in already! [rolleyes]

"That guy" is my Olympian pistol-shooting champion pal, Greg Derr, of Marshfield. Greg is an NES member who goes by the screen name, oddly enough, "Greg Derr".

I hope you didn't think I was questioning you or Greg's credentials... I just couldn't quickly recall his name. I'm sure I'll want to make my new 1911 even better than it is now in due time. [wink]

Back
Top Bottom