• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

I broke Dad's gun

swatgig

NES Life Member
NES Member
One of the guns dad left was an Erma EP-22, Luger clone. It had been in storage for 25+ years before I took possession of it. I tried firing it, but it would just go click. I finally got it apart. It had some corrosion along the frame where the barrel was supposed to slide on. I cleaned that up and realized that the firing pin was broken. (See diagram - part #36 had no pin). I found one and also ordered #11. The trigger was unreliable because #11 would ride up and over #6, instead of pushing it. Turns out there was a groove worn in the grip (#21/22). I filled the groove with epoxy, let it dry, and sanded it smooth. I took it out Friday and got it to shoot when I pulled the trigger, but had plenty of failure to loads. I took it apart yesterday to clean it some more, and when I went to put it back together, the barrel broke (#24) right behind the hole on the right side rear where the pin goes through. I guess I'll just put the broken firing pin back in and use it as a display piece.

Er%20EP.jpg

One of the guns dad left was an Erma EP-22, Luger clone. It had been in storage for 25+ years before I took possession of it. I tried firing it, but it would just go click. I finally got it apart. It had some corrosion along the frame where the barrel was supposed to slide on. I cleaned that up and realized that the firing pin was broken. (See diagram - part #36 had no pin). I found one and also ordered #11. The trigger was unreliable because #11 would ride up and over #6, instead of pushing it. Turns out there was a groove worn in the grip (#21/22). I filled the groove with epoxy, let it dry, and sanded it smooth. I took it out Friday and got it to shoot when I pulled the trigger, but had plenty of failure to loads. I took it apart yesterday to clean it some more, and when I went to put it back together, the barrel broke (#24) right behind the hole on the right side rear where the pin goes through. I guess I'll just put the broken firing pin back in and use it as a display piece.

Er%20EP.jpg
Broke how? Maybe you can bring it to a capable shop and they can micro-TIG it?

Greg Derr had another great column in the May/June issue of American Handgunner, on micro welding he has done by Pullman Arms.
Perhaps they could help, if you wanted to invest in a repair for sentimental reasons. Of course it may depend on the material, but in the article, they welded and refinished a cracked Walther P38 slide, as an example.

Erma werkes and their pot metal , if look around you could find another pistol to replace it. $250-300?

If that was my dad’s gun there would be no way in the world I wouldn’t
get it repaired, no matter the cost. You only have so many things to
remember your dad by and having one of his guns is a great way.
I wrote a rant not long ago how all my dad‘s guns were taken by his
brother and never returned to me. So I know what it’s like not to have
one of your father’s guns that was a part of your entire life growing up.

Fix it!

Zinc ???
It looks more like sheet rock.

thats what zamak and other zinc/ pot metal type stuff looks like when it cracks. Walther P22 slides look just like that too when they crack in half/chunks break off/etc.

thats what zamak and other zinc/ pot metal type stuff looks like when it cracks. Walther P22 slides look just like that too when they crack in half/chunks break off/etc.

I just did some research on that, Zamak was only used on the .22 versions up until 1969.
I have a KPG 68A Erma Baby Luger in .380, which is made of steel.

I was worried you were 12 and broke dads gun....

Anything can be fixed, and I understand sentimental reasons for things..

All I know is my mom .... wouldn’t make a big deal of it....

As for advice on repair.... I don’t have a cost effective answer/recommendation.

Back
Top Bottom