Hype over HK 416

it is a good weapon, and is, sort of, a collectable. therefore, folks like it.

PS. the piston related improvements - accuracy, heat/gas dissipation, no carbon build-up, remaining cold - all make sense for a proper full auto model.
a semi-auto basterd is available for collectors here too.
Wow this is filled with garbage information for a post. Way to go author for speaking in definitive on things that you clearly have no real idea of what you speak.

"Most people think of the AR15 and the M16 when they consider buying an assault rifle. However, even though they are affordable to buy, both rifles are prone to problems. The M16 will basically fire in any condition, but is heavy and less accurate. The A15 is accurate and lightweight, but less reliable. If you want an assault rifle that is both accurate and reliable consider the HK416 or the MR556. It is no secret that they cost more than double the amount of an AR15, but you do get what you pay for. They are both made by Heckler & Koch and although they are based on the AR15 platform, they are a much higher quality assault rifle."

I just want to comment how this writer believes that AR15s are somehow magically different than a M16 or that any of those points actually apply to one or the other more.

To the OP:
It's a good gun, hype has driven the prices to unreasonable levels. Especially the surplus parts associated.
The AR15 is just fine and the 416 is cool if you really just want one, but the price associated gets you a ton of gun in other respects and the optics to go with it.
People keep talking about full auto 416s being the best thing when really being short & suppressed is what the 416 does a ton better than a short AR15. 416 is heads and shoulders better than a mk18 for parts durability and being suppressed. Then adoption follows the long running Mk18 which the 416 rather outshines. But again we've come a long way since the early and mid 2000s. Now you can have essentially a perfectly tuned 11.5/12.5 with half the long term problems of a mk18 and half the cost of a 416.

So long story short I think we have better options now even before considering the money.

it is a good weapon, and is, sort of, a collectable. therefore, folks like it.

PS. the piston related improvements - accuracy, heat/gas dissipation, no carbon build-up, remaining cold - all make sense for a proper full auto model.
a semi-auto basterd is available for collectors here too.

Dude that article is f***ing terrible. [rofl]

ETA: looks like @Whiskeywon beat me to it.

a bit garbagy, yes. as usual with such articles - one got to skip opinions and concentrate on facts, if any. it is not much of better ones online about 416.

Alex Jones has more facts in his articles than that thing had in it about those guns.

Like I'm pretty sure his screed about gay frogs is more factual than that is, proportionally. [laugh]

Tom Clancy's licensed name slapped on anything + HK coasting on a reputation from when the MP5 was the best SMG available in the 80s/early 90s and in every movie = HYPEMACHINE

Seriously, slap Tom Clancy and HK branding on catheters and teenage fanbois/fangurlz will be screeching about and collecting them in 5 minutes.

Wow this is filled with garbage information for a post. Way to go author for speaking in definitive on things that you clearly have no real idea of what you speak.

"Most people think of the AR15 and the M16 when they consider buying an assault rifle. However, even though they are affordable to buy, both rifles are prone to problems. The M16 will basically fire in any condition, but is heavy and less accurate. The A15 is accurate and lightweight, but less reliable. If you want an assault rifle that is both accurate and reliable consider the HK416 or the MR556. It is no secret that they cost more than double the amount of an AR15, but you do get what you pay for. They are both made by Heckler & Koch and although they are based on the AR15 platform, they are a much higher quality assault rifle."

I just want to comment how this writer believes that AR15s are somehow magically different than a M16 or that any of those points actually apply to one or the other more.

To the OP:
It's a good gun, hype has driven the prices to unreasonable levels. Especially the surplus parts associated.
The AR15 is just fine and the 416 is cool if you really just want one, but the price associated gets you a ton of gun in other respects and the optics to go with it.
People keep talking about full auto 416s being the best thing when really being short & suppressed is what the 416 does a ton better than a short AR15. 416 is heads and shoulders better than a mk18 for parts durability and being suppressed. Then adoption follows the long running Mk18 which the 416 rather outshines. But again we've come a long way since the early and mid 2000s. Now you can have essentially a perfectly tuned 11.5/12.5 with half the long term problems of a mk18 and half the cost of a 416.

So long story short I think we have better options now even before considering the money.

[rofl]

Too funny. It's like the Colt guys on forums a few years ago. "Yeah, you gotta spend double on a Colt. Every other AR I ever held, it jammed in my hands. Every time." Um, OK, trooper. LOL

But it's a great solution. "The M16 is too heavy with it's pencil barrel and folding stock. The AR is too light with it's HBAR barrel and PRS stock. So get teh H&K which is elusive and 3x the money."

There's a complete 416 bolt carrier group for sale on one of the big HK boards right now. It appears to be lightly used. Asking price is $1,750.

I still think the majority of the mystique is that they are rare, if not nearly impossible to find, and stupid money for even parts of it. But it is otherwise largely something one could duplicate for a fraction of the price. Just that it won't say "HK" on it.

Noticed Brownells has prebuilt Aero M4E1 gas piston uppers using Superlative Arms piston systems now. That would get you close. Kind of pricey, but not HK pricey. $899-979, depending on barrel length.

On a completely unrelated note: I'd like to take this opportunity to sh*t on AR15discounts.com for allowing me to order something on 7/11 without a checkout notice that they're MOVING TO ANOTHER STATE and orders aren't shipping now. Processed my card any everything. Asked for a tracking number today and got that message. Went back to their website and noticed a 10-12 business day delay banner in like 12 point font at the top of the page.

Back
Top Bottom