• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hydra-Shok vs. HST

ARV

Does anyone have any thoughts on one vs. the other? I have hydra-shock's in my carry guns now, but a little reading has told me HST's are "new and improved" with better expantion and over all performance. Thoughts/ experiances?

Does anyone have any thoughts on one vs. the other? I have hydra-shock's in my carry guns now, but a little reading has told me HST's are "new and improved" with better expantion and over all performance. Thoughts/ experiances?

What caliber?

Hydra-Shoks are ancient history at this point, like win silvertips. (Although anecdotally, Win silvertips in .45 and 10mm aren't so bad.... if hard to find. )

Some of the original Hydra-Shok loads were awful.... a few of the 9mm weights tested OK (like the P9HS1 was OK) but the .45 230 gr loads tested out awful (they usually failed the denim test and just would sail right through the block of gelatin, just like ball ammo. ) The new Fed HST / Tactical line is a lot better.

-Mike

Well maybe I'll run the rest of the hydrashok through both guns and pick up some HST. Seeing as I have never looked for it, how hard is it to come by?

Well maybe I'll run the rest of the hydrashok through both guns and pick up some HST. Seeing as I have never looked for it, how hard is it to come by?

Four Seasons and Rileys in NH have it, maybe other gun shops... call around before visiting.

-Mike

The Hydra-Shok will still put someone down - I still have a bunch of them loaded in my HD gun (.357) and a bunch of .40s and some 185gr .45s.

The HSTs are simply newer, better designed/more modern, and probably more effective.

Now, as to why I still keep the M520 loaded with Hydra-Shoks: I'm pretty sure that a couple rounds of .357 will deal with just about any threat, regardless of the bullet.

The Hydra-Shok will still put someone down - I still have a bunch of them loaded in my HD gun (.357) and a bunch of .40s and some 185gr .45s.

They will, but people should be aware that some of the loadings perform like nothing more than really hot ball ammo. Some of them still open in bare gel but fail denim tests pretty
reliably. the 9mm Hydras like the P9HS1 were actually decent, but once you get out of that caliber a lot of them didn't test so hot. I used to carry the P9HS1s, only reason I stopped was because at the time I could get Speer GDHP 124+P's for about the same amount of cash for a 50 round box.

The HSTs are simply newer, better designed/more modern, and probably more effective.

The bullet design is WAY better, and at least in testing with the real calibers (9mm and up) most of the loadings will at least pass FBI protocol pretty easily and consistently. Basically, if I had a display of HST boxes in front of me and I picked a box at random in whatever caliber, chances are it will pass. On the other hand if I had the hydra shok product line in front of me, half that stuff is just really nice ball ammo. I wouldn't want to get hit with it, but it's hard to justify buying it nowadays when you can find HST at about the same price point. Of course if it was between hydras and that crap federal sells in the little plastic boxes, I'd still choose the hydras.

Now, as to why I still keep the M520 loaded with Hydra-Shoks: I'm pretty sure that a couple rounds of .357 will deal with just about any threat, regardless of the bullet.

If he was still around, a guy by the name of Coates would disagree with you. He nailed a POS 4 times with one and it didn't drop him. All handgun calibers can (and often do) fail, but you already knew that. Plan on a cylinder dump, and if it only takes 2, count your blessings. [grin] I don't know what the .357 hydras do, but if they use a bullet similar to the 9mms, they probably work fine. If you ever expend those, the Speer 125 and 158s are pretty much the go-to rounds. There are a bunch of others that are probably decent, too... I bet the HST 357 loadings work well.

Obviously the usual mantra about hitting the bad guy where it counts applies.. without that, none of this matters. The better bullets are just "one louder". [laugh]

-Mike

Four Seasons has the .40 HST in a plain white box (factory overruns) on special for $20. I just may have to go pick some up. They also still have Winchester PDX1 in .40 for $25 (also in a plain box).

If he was still around, a guy by the name of Coates would disagree with you. He nailed a POS 4 times with one and it didn't drop him. All handgun calibers can (and often do) fail, but you already knew that. Plan on a cylinder dump, and if it only takes 2, count your blessings. [grin] I don't know what the .357 hydras do, but if they use a bullet similar to the 9mms, they probably work fine. If you ever expend those, the Speer 125 and 158s are pretty much the go-to rounds. There are a bunch of others that are probably decent, too... I bet the HST 357 loadings work well.

Obviously the usual mantra about hitting the bad guy where it counts applies.. without that, none of this matters. The better bullets are just "one louder". [laugh]

Yep, no guarantees...

But at home, the pistol is always the last resort anyway.

Four Seasons has the .40 HST in a plain white box (factory overruns) on special for $20. I just may have to go pick some up. They also still have Winchester PDX1 in .40 for $25 (also in a plain box).

I'll make the long drive there for guns, but I'd spend more in gas going there and back than I would for a $20 box of ammo! But thanks for the info, I may hold off for a bit if I cant find it here, and use it as an excuse to get a new gun. I cant make that trip for ammo alone [wink]

I was under the impression that the posted hydrashocks were still highly regarded in .45...Guess I need to do some reading

I'll make the long drive there for guns, but I'd spend more in gas going there and back than I would for a $20 box of ammo! But thanks for the info, I may hold off for a bit if I cant find it here, and use it as an excuse to get a new gun. I cant make that trip for ammo alone [wink]

Cabelas in Hartford had the same stuff for about $20 a box a few weeks back.

I live right where I-91 and Rt. 2 meet, so hartford it still a little bit of a drive. I actually just asked Tri-State in NH to see if they could just order some for me. They're checking with the distributor for me to see what they can get it. Ive got ammo for the moment, so I cant wait for the other stuff to come in I guess.

HST vs GD

expandedammo.jpg

Look at the picture on the box of HST after the round has been fired....I shot a berm of sandstone, dug the round out and it looked exactly like the picture, if thats not just enough...I dont know what is! .45 FYI

(sorry to jack the thread)
where does everyone feel the Hornady Critical Defense rounds stand in this ? i carry them in my 9 and 45, and im just curious as to what your take is on THEM, compared to either of these two .....

where does everyone feel the Hornady Critical Defense rounds stand in this ? i carry them in my 9 and 45, and im just curious as to what your take is on THEM, compared to either of these two .....
I too am curious what the experts here think as I carry Hornady Critical Defense in both my .380 and .45
From what I read online (if that means anything) the Hornady Critical Defense was one of the best in .380. I also keep a mag loaded with the low recoil, hydra shock "defensive ammo" for home defense duty for the .45

Last edited:

They don't come in 50 round boxes (at least not normally) so I typically avoid them because 20 round boxes of defense ammo are typically a royal screwjob from a $$$$ perspective.

It's just like with Corbon. The Corbon DPX is a great round, too bad the 20 round box format they sell is a ripoff... and it's like the ripoff of ripoffs, too. Even dealer price on that stuff is obnoxious.

-Mike

Four Seasons and Rileys in NH have it, maybe other gun shops... call around before visiting.

-Mike

Just a bump for this, but Riley's is completely blown out of HST right now, so anyone reading this shouldn't bother making the trip, at least not without calling. All they have had up there the past couple of weeks is some 20 round boxes of gold dots and a bunch of the usual "consumer grade" crap.

-Mike

When a friend was asked that his answer was don't buy anything so expensive that you won't want to fire off a few mags just to see how it feeds and shoots. I have been guilty of that in the past myself and not shooting off enough of my expensive carry loads.

Just so everyone knows, HST cannot be sold to civilians anymore, it is law enforcement only! Good friends that work at Rileys told me, they got in a minor dispute with Federal because they sold it, including a box to me, glad I have it now :)

Just so everyone knows, HST cannot be sold to civilians anymore, it is law enforcement only! Good friends that work at Rileys told me, they got in a minor dispute with Federal because they sold it, including a box to me, glad I have it now :)

Not true at all.

I'm a gold dot guy, because it's available enough for me to shoot it. I like the Short Barrel 357 loads.

Federal MAY mandate that dealers not sell to civilians, but there is no law broken if they do . . . they just lose their ability to sell Federal products, that's all.

NOTE: The above is just a reaction to the allegation. I did not (and won't bother) check out the allegation to verify the info.

I just got a box online and had no issues. It is listed as Law Enforment boxes though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom