Hydra-Shok vs. HST

For awhile federal had pulled the stuff from the chain to keep the hoarders from drying up the supply. (or at least, this is my best guess at why they pulled it).

-Mike

well there are youtube videos of damn near everything and this seems to be no different. I'm not sure what caliber you are looking for, but here are a few (unscientific, uncontrolled) videos. first 3 are .40sw and the last i couldnt find in .40 so it's .45acp and a bit hotter load

Federal HST 180gr 40 SW

Speer Gold Dot 180gr 40 SW

Winchester PDX1 180gr 40 SW

Federal Hydra-Shok 185gr +P 45 ACP

Last edited by a moderator:
As mentioned before, HP bullets can fail at anytime and of course noone wants to be shot with any caliber whether ball ammo or HP. That being said the HSTs are newer technology than the Hydrahocks and have a much better test history of performing under adverse conditions like going through clothing/walls/glass and still expanding to some degree (usually due to the enormous HP cavity they have which tends, even when plugged, to allow some remaining room for hydraulic pressure to work its magic and open up the mushroom. My personal experience with HST versus Hydrashocks ahs confirmed this for me. Water jug testing, some covered with clothing, some with sheetrock in front and some through 2x4s, all generally resulted in favor of the HST rounds still expanding within the jugs while the hydrashocks plugged and acted more often like ball ammo. I was lucky enough to find some 45ACP +P ammo and have that in my XD45 for HD. If I could find HST for 9 and 40 somewhere I would add them to my carry rounds.

I havent been able to find any HST (or Winchester Ranger T). I called everyone out here in W/Mass, no one has it except Jurek Bro. and they have a deal with Federal/Winchester not to sell it to anyone but LEO. Someone mentioned Cabelas, but I called and they are out, the manager checked the computer and told me no one in the company had it and none was going to be reordered. Had another gun shop check, and the distributors are out of it. Looks like a trip to Four Seasons is in order, calling ahead of course.

I havent been able to find any HST (or Winchester Ranger T). I called everyone out here in W/Mass, no one has it except Jurek Bro. and they have a deal with Federal/Winchester not to sell it to anyone but LEO. Someone mentioned Cabelas, but I called and they are out, the manager checked the computer and told me no one in the company had it and none was going to be reordered. Had another gun shop check, and the distributors are out of it. Looks like a trip to Four Seasons is in order, calling ahead of course.

I would call, last time I was there I really didn't see any.

Riley's has been pretty much blown out of it, too.

-Mike

FS has HST in 40 only. Plain white box like below. Stock up as there's a ton there at a great price.

photo1kp.jpg

Last edited:
drgrant, Got your PM. Sent you a message back but not sure if your inbox is still full (i dont know how to tell if it is) but I'll glad you take you up on that offer.

Mongoose, last time due to availability, performance, cost?
I've yet to shoot HST simply because I don't own a 40 yet but am interested in your reason.

drgrant, Got your PM. Sent you a message back but not sure if your inbox is still full (i dont know how to tell if it is) but I'll glad you take you up on that offer.

No, my inbox isn't full (for a change!) just dealing with a deluge of PMs.... stay tuned.

FWIW, if you PM someone with a full box, it will send you a notice saying their box is full.

-Mike

Are they just sold out of other calibers for now, or is that the only one they've ever carried in that HST?

They got a deal on the .40, so that is what they have. I know that they used to stock Hydra-Shoks (in 50 rd boxes, as well as 20 rd boxes) as that is where I bought a lot of my Hydra-Shoks back some years ago.

If Carl can get them, he'll stock HSTs in all calibers. Problem is availability, you just don't see them almost anywhere (including websites, regardless of whether they will ship to MA or not).

P.S. I love your new avatar . . . subtle, very subtle! [laugh] [thinking]

I'm not entirely sure what the story is behind the HST availability. I just recently got my license so the only reference I have is from the end of February up to now. The few times I was there, .40 has been all I've seen on the floor. Len is right though, for shits and giggles I like to look online for ammo, and even on the interwebz it's hard to track down.

P.S. I love your new avatar . . . subtle, very subtle! [laugh] [thinking]

Like that? [grin] It came out fuzzy looking when I uploaded it for some reason.

I'm not entirely sure what the story is behind the HST availability. I just recently got my license so the only reference I have is from the end of February up to now. The few times I was there, .40 has been all I've seen on the floor. Len is right though, for shits and giggles I like to look online for ammo, and even on the interwebz it's hard to track down.

If he had it in a caliber that I use at that price, I'd be calling him on the phone to see if he'd ship to Florida. [laugh]

If he had it in a caliber that I use at that price, I'd be calling him on the phone to see if he'd ship to Florida. [laugh]

Interestingly, MGLs prohibits ALL MA Dealers from shipping ammo to ANYONE (LE included) even out of state. [thinking] [rolleyes]

MA is even more F'd up than anyone could possibly imagine.

Back
Top Bottom