Hunting Noob here - what am I forgetting?

Anybody have any experience with this?

I've used one of those (the regular, not magnum version) for the past few years. It works, and I've been happy with it. Compared to a rigid sled it is probably more finicky with how you position the deer and lace it up.

ETA: I also use a dragging strap that you can put over your shoulder/chest to pull it instead of the rope that came with. It comes with a rope to pull it and rope to lace up the sled.

Last edited:
I've used one of those (the regular, not magnum version) for the past few years. It works, and I've been happy with it. Compared to a rigid sled it is probably more finicky with how you position the deer and lace it up.

ETA: I also use a dragging strap that you can put over your shoulder/chest to pull it instead of the rope that came with. It comes with a rope to pull it and rope to lace up the sled.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this sled. I'm leaning toward getting one, along with a chest/shoulder rig.

Buck.

I have never buried entrails and have never stumbled across the gut pile either. my last deer the pile was gone the following morning, it didn't last 12 hours

I have never buried entrails and have never stumbled across the gut pile either. my last deer the pile was gone the following morning, it didn't last 12 hours

Me too. Gut piles last about a day in the woods.

Bears, coyotes and other critters clean them up quickly.

Just stopping to say that every time I see this thread title I picture somebody trying to figure out what they need to go out and hunt some noobs.

Don't worry about CWD. It hasn't been detected in New England.

Yea New York was the closest I think right?

Good to know.

Just stopping to say that every time I see this thread title I picture somebody trying to figure out what they need to go out and hunt some noobs.

This made me laugh out loud! reps to you as soon as I get to a computer (as somebody's sig line somewhere says: Tapatalk blows chunks!)

Now, if you replace the "n" in the word "noobs" with a "b", you'd really be onto something! If that were the case, I'd say to hell with the deer!

"Bye honey! I'm going hunting on Myrtle Beach! What's that? Oh, yes, they have all kinds of game animals down there!"

Buck.

Last edited:
After reading this thread I can easily see why great white hunters on safari use porters to carry their $hit. Might be a good idea to go down to one of those places that hire out day workers to use for the hunt. Jus' sayin'

Get camo toilet paper (just in case) [shocked]

White tail, white cloud.....never know who else is out there, and less ethical about nose-to-tail ID.

Good hunting.

Oh....before you go, pack your pack, with the rifle, ammo load, etc. and try dragging some heavy logs, or similar, around the yard. Weight increases proportionally with the distance to your ride, you know. Make sure that you can fit in all the "necessities," and hump them through the boonies.

Get camo toilet paper (just in case) [shocked]

White tail, white cloud.....never know who else is out there, and less ethical about nose-to-tail ID.

Good hunting.

Oh....before you go, pack your pack, with the rifle, ammo load, etc. and try dragging some heavy logs, or similar, around the yard. Weight increases proportionally with the distance to your ride, you know. Make sure that you can fit in all the "necessities," and hump them through the boonies.

Good point about having non-white TP! Man that would suck...

Unfortunately, I live in suburbia, so my yard isn't big enough to drag logs around in it. I know what you mean though. Thankfully, I'm still in halfway decent shape, only a slight beer gut at this stage of my life. Trying to keep it that way for a while longer.

Buck.

Paper topographic maps of the area for your compass (in case smart phone is out of range). I like to use a straight edge to extend the angle of declination line at the bottom and make a parallel grid with some useful distance separating the lines. Then you can rotate the map so that the grid goes from top to bottom and use your compass easily/correctly accounting for declination.
White Feather

Biodegradable Trail Marking Tape.

Bright Eyes Trail marking tacks.

White Feather

Nice! I didn't even know they made that stuff.

Paper topographic maps of the area for your compass (in case smart phone is out of range). I like to use a straight edge to extend the angle of declination line at the bottom and make a parallel grid with some useful distance separating the lines. Then you can rotate the map so that the grid goes from top to bottom and use your compass easily/correctly accounting for declination.
White Feather

I always print a local topo map for backup, but I'm probably going to be using the GPS primarily. I know the woods pretty well in the areas that I'll be going, so I'm not too worried about getting (completely) lost. Thanks for the tips though!

Buck.

You need a pen to fill out your tag
Have had warden waiting at the truck to make sure we were legit.
One guy didn't have his tag filled out, but it was attached.
When he asked the warden to borrow his, the reply was
"if you can carry a gun in the woods, you can carry your own pen"

When you look for a headlamp, Walmart has a great one. It has "Bayco" on the strap and could be in yellow or black. Buy the 13 led version not the one with less. It was around $15.00 and is great. Takes 3 AAA batteries. Has spot, flood and combination settings. Is bright enough to use when riding my bike/hiking in Foxboro forest at night. It is in the back in a random tool section, not in sporting goods with the other lights. I have two for the camper and two for the house. (One for me and one for my wife. Or I can wear all four if I want to be real badass [smile].) Really great light. Found a link to it on walmart.com.
Bayco 13 LED Headlight - Walmart.com
You can buy it locally. Don't forget a few candy bars. Deer can't smell chocolate. Have fun.

White Feather

There was a great 12 hour video series in the 1980s produced by Tink Nathan and Dr. Ken Nordberg called "Whitetail Hunters world". I rented it and copied it onto vhs tapes. It was very informative and Doc was a riot. I can't find any links online. Nordberg has a website.
Dr. Nordberg on Deer Hunting
I remember Doc telling me not to cook "sasage" in my hunting clothes... anyone else remember the videos?
I suppose they are probably in that plastic bin in the storage closet. I could use the vhs in the camper...
White Feather

When you look for a headlamp, Walmart has a great one. It has "Bayco" on the strap and could be in yellow or black. Buy the 13 led version not the one with less. It was around $15.00 and is great. Takes 3 AAA batteries. Has spot, flood and combination settings. Is bright enough to use when riding my bike/hiking in Foxboro forest at night. It is in the back in a random tool section, not in sporting goods with the other lights. I have two for the camper and two for the house. (One for me and one for my wife. Or I can wear all four if I want to be real badass [smile].) Really great light. Found a link to it on walmart.com.
Bayco 13 LED Headlight - Walmart.com
You can buy it locally. Don't forget a few candy bars. Deer can't smell chocolate. Have fun.

White Feather

Thanks for the link. I have a Petzl I'll probably throw in the bag for the first trip out, but I'll take a look at the Bayco too. I've been pretty happy with the Petzl, I use it for hiking and cross-country skiing up in the woods.

There was a great 12 hour video series in the 1980s produced by Tink Nathan and Dr. Ken Nordberg called "Whitetail Hunters world". I rented it and copied it onto vhs tapes. It was very informative and Doc was a riot. I can't find any links online. Nordberg has a website.
Dr. Nordberg on Deer Hunting
I remember Doc telling me not to cook "sasage" in my hunting clothes... anyone else remember the videos?
I suppose they are probably in that plastic bin in the storage closet. I could use the vhs in the camper...
White Feather

I'll check this out when I get home tonight - thanks.

And thanks to everybody for all the great tips and advice. I might actually have a small chance of making it out of the woods alive and with some edible (non-spoiled) venison! Much appreciated!

Buck.

Sent from Buck's antlers. Yes, they have secret built-in antennas.

I used to always have a short step by step list of how to field dress a deer and a cute little red booklet called "You alone in the Maine woods" in my pack.
21x5fH5sFhL._.jpg

I never shot enough deer to remember how to field dress them and the guide would give me something to read (before smart phones) if I got lost deep in the wilds of Raynham. Here is a link to a step by step guide and a pdf for the actual booklet from Maine Fish and Wildlife.

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/education/pdfs/aloneinmainewoods.pdf
http://www.michigandnr.com/publications/pdfs/huntingwildlifehabitat/deer_field-dressing.pdf
White Feather

I always bring a bandana. It comes in handy to tie over your nose and mouth when you are gutting the animal just in case you pierced the belly on the shot or were careless and pierced it gutting it. Nasty stench and if you have a gag reflex, you'll be gutting a deer soaked in your lunch.

I always carry a red or orange bandana, mainly used to wipe my scope lens with in case I get a water drop or condensation on it.

Someone mentioned earlier to be careful about using white toilet paper to avoid crazy people shooting at you... I think that sounds a bit extreme, but then again I've have not yet had to shit in the woods.... (avoiding having to do so is usually one of my primary goals)

On the other hand, one guy I go hunting with has said that the one time he got shot at is when he whipped out a white bandana to blow his nose with.... so I make sure not to carry white bandanas....

Back
Top Bottom