Hunter Shot on Nantucket

One hunter already shot on Nantucket 1 hour into the season.

Any more details? All I've been able to find is this:

One shot in Nantucket hunting accident

December 01, 2008

NANTUCKET - One person has been shot in a hunting accident on the first day of deer hunting season on Nantucket. Police and firefighters are just on the scene. Police said the injury is not believed to be life threatening.

source: http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081201/NEWS11/81201003

Here's a little more information from the Cape Cod Times:

By Karen Jeffrey
[email protected]
December 02, 2008

NANTUCKET — A hunter was shot yesterday morning by another hunter in the first hour of shotgun deer hunting season on Nantucket, officials said.

The hunter's condition was unknown last night because the Nantucket police, the Nantucket Fire Department, the state Division of Fisheries & Wildlife, and a Boston Medical Center spokesman all declined to release the hunter's name or to comment on his condition.

Earlier in the day, Nantucket police said that the man's injuries were not believed to be life-threatening.

Police were called to Eel Point Road, located in the northwest section of the island, at 7:31 a.m., a Nantucket Police Department spokesman said. The hunter was found with buckshot injuries to the left thigh area, the abdomen, and the groin.

The hunter was taken to Nantucket Cottage Hospital by the Nantucket Fire Department, a department spokesman said. He was later flown by the Coast Guard to Boston Medical Center, said Lisa Capone, a spokeswoman for the state Division of Fisheries & Wildlife.

Popularity waning

The hunter was wounded in a sport that has decreased in popularity over the past decade, according to state officials.

Since 1998 there have been 25 hunting accidents reported to the state — a figure that covers all hunting seasons, ranging from deer, coyote and bear to duck and crow, Capone said.

"The last fatal hunting accident was in 2005," Capone said. "Before that the most recent was 1990."

In fiscal year 1987, the state issued 118,644 hunting licenses. In fiscal year 2007, the most recent figures available, the state issued 70,131 hunting licenses, a drop of 40 percent, according to Massachusetts Wildlife, a Division of Fisheries and Wildlife.

State officials are not sure why the number has taken such a steep decline in the past decade, but said the number seems to have stabilized in the past couple of years.

Lee Boisvert, owner of Riverview Bait and Tackle in South Yarmouth, runs one of the state-approved deer check-in stations.

Boisvert, who keeps a pot of venison stew bubbling in his shop during deer season, said he seldom sees new faces in the hunting world.

"Younger folks just aren't taking up hunting," he said.

Brian Flannagan, at the Wellfleet Mobil Station, another state check-in station, agreed.

"When I was a kid there were 20 places around you could deer hunt, now there are one or two," he said.

It is ironic, he said, that at a time when deer populations are on the rise, fewer people are hunting them.

"Deer here are much lower weight than in other states," he said. "A 90-pound deer here would be 150 to 200 pounds in another state because they have more access to food."

Burdensome requirements

Boisvert blamed the decline in hunters on the number of hunting areas, and changes in gun permit requirements that make getting hunting licenses a more complicated procedure.

Flannagan also said the process for getting a hunting license in Massachusetts discourages some people.

"To get a license, you have to take a hunter safety course," Flannagan said.

"When my buddy Gary decided to get one, the nearest place to take the course was Springfield. Some people just aren't going to drive that far. Maybe it would help if there were courses closer," he said.

The state Web site for the Division of Fisheries and Wildlife does not list any current classes but says to check back in 2009.

All first-time hunters must have a government-issued Basic Hunter Education Certificate in order to purchase a hunting or sporting license in any state, Canada and Mexico, according to the Web site.

Additionally, popular culture takes an increasingly dim view of hunting, Flannagan said.

"I know guys who fill their freezers with meat, but those are the hunters who are going to go out of state where the laws make it easier to hunt," Flannagan said.

Latest rumors/hearsay tell that the shoot involved two different groups of hunters and that the shooter took a sound shot.
Also hear that the wounded man is from the Plymouth area.
Rumors fly hard and fast on this island, so who knows what is true or not.

Latest rumors/hearsay tell that the shoot involved two different groups of hunters and that the shooter took a sound shot.
Also hear that the wounded man is from the Plymouth area.
Rumors fly hard and fast on this island, so who knows what is true or not.

Ohh shit, my friend jay and his group are from there.

Every year. More of the same sh*t. I hope he's okay.

Quick review for everyone going out during the rest of this season -

DEER
b63mlc.jpg

NOT DEER*
nwbpeu.jpg

*I know. They're upland hunters with a load of pheasants in front of 'em, but, you get the point.

What's up with all the buckshot?

Scary is, being out opening day and hearing semi-autos being unloaded in rapid succession.

I had the same thought. Slugs only in Mass. as far as I know?

Not true. You can use buckshot. I don't recommend it, but you can use it. From the hunting abstracts:

Shotgun Ammunition - Except as provided below, no species other than deer, coyote, or waterfowl may be hunted or taken with shot larger than #1 birdshot. Except during the prescribed open season when deer may be hunted lawfully with a shotgun, a person shall not have in his possession a shotgun shell loaded with a rifled slug, single ball, buckshot of any size, or any shot larger than or equal to air rifle shot in any place where birds or mammals may be found except on a skeet, trap, or target range between sunrise and sunset, or except for the hunting of coyotes (a) during the prescribed open season for coyotes with shot not larger than FF; or (b) during the shotgun deer season when coyotes may be hunted with slugs, buckshot, or shot of any size; or except as specified in the annual Migratory Bird Hunting Abstracts.

"Flannagan also said the process for getting a hunting license in Massachusetts discourages some people."

Yeah, the discouraging thing is that you have to take a 6 day long course to get a hunting license! Give us a break! Kids nowadays are so oversubscribed to sports, etc, that they can simply not make each of the 6 days!

Why is there no online training course, with a single HALF-DAY field portion????? IF they were truly worried about declining hunter numbers, they would do something to get more kids thru the hunter safety course!

Update

http://www.nantucketindependent.com/news/2009/0429/other_news/007.html

Man charged with shooting fellow hunter arraigned Monday
BY MARY LANCASTER INDEPENDENT WRITER

Mark McDonnell, 55, of Forestdale, Mass., was arraigned in Nantucket District Court on Monday on a charge of causing personal injury with a hunting weapon. McDonnell pleaded not guilty to the charge, which stemmed from December 1, 2008 when he allegedly shot Anthony Sciarrillo within the first hour of last year's deer hunting shotgun season.

Sciarrillo, 45, of East Falmouth, was with four friends searching for deer off the Eel Point Road when the incident occurred. Sciarrillo had three surgeries after the event due to injuries to his leg, femoral artery, intestines, nerves and muscles. According to Scarrillo, he was struck with about a dozen buckshot from a 12-gauge shotgun fired from a distance of 30 yards. Seven of the pellets pierced his right leg and others went into his left leg and abdomen. Sciarrillo was in intensive care at Boston Medical Center for three weeks after the accident, then had to relearn to walk during a 10-day stay in a Sandwich rehabilitation center.

Scarrillo and McDonnell did not know one another at the time of the incident. McDonnell is scheduled for a pre-trial hearing in district court on July 8.

At 30 yards, he HAD to shoot at noise rather than a clear target, Brush can be think down there so I think they are going after him for gross negligence. I know if I was f***ed up like the victim was, I would want his head on a God damed pike.

Back
Top Bottom