• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hunter Seriously Injured By Own Crossbow In Upton

"The hunter was also cited for hunting prior to a half-hour before sunrise. "

What constitutes "hunting" prior to half-hour before sunrise? I'm usually in my deer stand an hour before legal shooting time, I know most others are as well.

What constitutes "hunting" prior to half-hour before sunrise? I'm usually in my deer stand an hour before legal shooting time, I know most others are as well.
Article says he fired the bolt when walking in which proves he was "loaded". When I'm in the woods prior to legal hours I'm not loaded.

Another reason why we arrive two steps back in preserving the honor of hunting amongst the general public. It’s by nippleheads like this one.

Nipple heads. LOL Made me chuckle. I haven’t heard that in years.

Bob

he should have just has his fly open, so the most they could have charged him is masturbating half hour before sunrise (I'm sure MA has a law for that)

Well, he technically successfully shot something with a bolt prior to half-hour before sunrise. So hunting?

I had to read these two post very carefully!

he should have just has his fly open, so the most they could have charged him is masturbating half hour before sunrise (I'm sure MA has a law for that)

That kind of loads comes after the hunt......we usually rally at a buddies house for a couple.

Wait.

Walking in woods.

Crossbow.

Massachusetts.

I was under the impression that crossbows, for now, were ONLY for disabled.

Wait.

Walking in woods.

Crossbow.

Massachusetts.

I was under the impression that crossbows, for now, were ONLY for disabled.
Do not have to be declared disabled to my knowledge. A Dr note stating shoulder problems is what my buddy used.

yup, simple medical reason, signed doctors note, and MFW will send you the endorsement. with it , you can never go back to a vertical bow

Do not have to be declared disabled to my knowledge. A Dr note stating shoulder problems is what my buddy used.

I did not know that. Cool! Hell, I'm hoping the statewide crossbow law will get passed and move the fair Commonwealth deep into the 14th century. ;)

I’ll venture to guess this crossbower is known to an NES’r if not an NES’r himself.

I hate when the media uses the word Hunter. He is not hunting.

He is poaching over illegal bait at a time of the day it is illegal to shoot deer. Therefore Poacher should be
used.

Using the word Hunter demeans every legal and ethical person that hunts.

Well, he technically successfully shot something with a bolt prior to half-hour before sunrise. So hunting?

Yes. If have a round in the chamber, an arrow on the string, a bolt on the string, or a cap or primer on the muzzleloader before or after legal hunting time, it is considered hunting.

You can sit in the dark with and unloaded weapon as long as you want. For the most part...

Some states and game wardens will give you grief if you are walking out 3 hours late or going in 3 hours early.

In some hunts, you cant enter the woods until 1 hour before legal hunting time. Like the Wachusett watershed hunt last year.

Last edited:

Having the crossbow loaded.

You can’t walk in with a bolt in your crossbow, or your shotgun loaded. If you are hunting with a muzzleloader, you can have your powder and ball in the barrel, but you must not have a primer cap on the nipple.

Yes. If have a round in the chamber, an arrow on the string, a bolt on the string, or a cap or primer on the muzzleloader before or after legal hunting time, it is considered hunting.

You can sit in the dark with and unloaded weapon as long as you want. For the most part...

Some states and game wardens will give you grief if you are walking out 3 hours late or going in 3 hours early.

In some hunts, you cant enter the woods until 1 hour before legal hunting time. Like the Wachusett watershed hunt last year.
All DCR’s have those restricted entrance hours. 1 hour before and after.

Back
Top Bottom