How to ship (cheaply!) a handgun

Yes, basically you're immune if it goes to an FFL.

Problem is if you play fast and loose with the "machined parts" business trick with UPS or whatever, it might be fun trying to file a loss
claim. I wouldn't want to try shipping anything worth more than a few hundred bucks that way.

-Mike

I'm having a local FFL send it for me. Apparently there are those out there willing to use non-next day on an ffl-to-ffl shipment. Just in case that being done rustles anybody's jimmies, I'll let them stay anonymous.

Also, to a prior comment about "having to wait a week or more to receive an item purchased on GB" and THAT poster having an issue with the delay if it was them, where did I say the delay was due to my shipping question? Oh, right, I didn't. The delay was due to the BUYER taking 10+ days to actually PAY ME, and provide the incoming dealer's information and license information.

I'm having a local FFL send it for me. Apparently there are those out there willing to use non-next day on an ffl-to-ffl shipment. Just in case that being done rustles anybody's jimmies, I'll let them stay anonymous.

Also, to a prior comment about "having to wait a week or more to receive an item purchased on GB" and THAT poster having an issue with the delay if it was them, where did I say the delay was due to my shipping question? Oh, right, I didn't. The delay was due to the BUYER taking 10+ days to actually PAY ME, and provide the incoming dealer's information and license information.
2nd day is the norm for FFL to FFL. Only non licensed individuals have to use overnight.

Why do I feel like I have read this before..?
Probably because it's a recurring theme and I'm google/forum search impaired. But thanks for adding (nothing) to the thread[thumbsup]
You spend all day long scanning people's brains with some giant fishing magnet,
and yet you don't value Nick's profound sense of déjà vu.

I don't know man; I just don't know...

Ship it 2nd day air with a pre-paid label on an already sealed package and they won't blink an eye.
I've only encountered 2nd day pre-paid when the label comes from a manufacturer for a repair return.
Problem is if you play fast and loose with the "machined parts" business trick with UPS or whatever, it might be fun trying to file a loss
I had an experience while shipping a gun. I wanted insurance for at least the value, $1000+. I was antsy putting what was really in the box so went the "machine parts" route. the lady asked me what "exactly" is in the box, she had to know for the insurance incase there was a claim later. with hesitation on my part, she said it's not a firearm is it? no big deal, she put down exactly what it was, asked the obligatory "is there ammo in the box?" off it went. I have no issue now revealing what's in the box as long as it's insured. as far as i'm concerned, once I hand it over and it's been declared as a firearm and I've got the receipt, it's their problem. and I usually don't pay shipping anyway, repairs are mostly prepaid and if I sell something and it's going to an ffl, it's on the buyers dime, I don't care what the shipping is.

I've only encountered 2nd day pre-paid when the label comes from a manufacturer for a repair return.

I had an experience while shipping a gun. I wanted insurance for at least the value, $1000+. I was antsy putting what was really in the box so went the "machine parts" route. the lady asked me what "exactly" is in the box, she had to know for the insurance incase there was a claim later. with hesitation on my part, she said it's not a firearm is it? no big deal, she put down exactly what it was, asked the obligatory "is there ammo in the box?" off it went. I have no issue now revealing what's in the box as long as it's insured. as far as i'm concerned, once I hand it over and it's been declared as a firearm and I've got the receipt, it's their problem. and I usually don't pay shipping anyway, repairs are mostly prepaid and if I sell something and it's going to an ffl, it's on the buyers dime, I don't care what the shipping is.
Nothing to "encounter". I learned a secret when I was in the computer business and UPS had a drop-off location in Dedham. People came in with an open box, no shipping labels (they were paper only back then), no tape, etc. and stand in front of the clerk asking what to do. He hated it and them and had to go thru 20 questions with them. I came in with a sealed box, filled out shipping label (I always scooped a few and kept them in my office for when I needed them) and was always treated professionally. I would "friendly chat" with the guy, do my business and out the door. No issues. I have found that if you are prepared, act professional that nobody will question you. I've shipped handguns thru UPS and FedEx at various locations (Framingham, Needham, Randolph, Brockton off the top of my head) with absolutely no issues. Always mentioned that it was a gun and out the door. Since it was labeled they never studied the label to see if it was overnight or 2 day air.

Sorry but only a fool uses their insurance. If you insure your guns separate from HO, read your policy . . . both Historic Firearms/Eastern Insurance and Collectibles Insurance (really only suitable for guns you don't shoot, but that is another issue) cover losses in shipments. IIRC UPS (or was it FedEx) got called on the carpet for not paying on losses and the fact that they actually own the "insurance company" they sell the insurance for (without disclosure). USPS has a long history of burying people in paperwork until they give up when they file a claim. I even had a USPS business manager admit that to me at a trade show when they were trying to garner more business from businesses.

The next day issue only affects UPS or FedEx.

Your local FFL is shipping it USPS flat rate Priority box for about $16 his cost. I don't know any small dealers who ship UPS or FedEx. Its just so much more money than USPS.

Re insurance. I got an education fro Larry DelGreggo. He's basically the top Parker gunsmith in the country. With Parker values running from $3000 to $50,000, he's often shipping very valuable stuff.

He's also often shipping guns that may have originally sold for only a couple of hundred bucks back when new. He told me of a horror story of a customer shipping an 80 year old parker and it was lost by UPS. They paid him promptly. . . . . the $180 it originally sold for. Not the $4000 it is worth today. I learned this after shipping him a Parker 20 GA DHE, insured for $4000 via UPS for a friend.

I screwed up big time. It got to him, thankfully. But I massively misjudged the value of the gun. (Its condition with intact color case hardening, 20ga , D grade, Ejector all combined to make for a $15,000 gun)

Larry will only ship USPS First Class Registered mail, insured to its current value. The gun is tracked and must be signed in and out by every person who gives it up or receives it. It actually takes a bit longer than regular first class or Priority mail. But its chain of custody is ensured along the entire trip. This is also how jewelers ship expensive jewelry.

Obviously this is overkill for a $500 Glock. But if you ever need to ship a firearm that is really valuable, this is how to do it.

Re insurance. I got an education fro Larry DelGreggo. He's basically the top Parker gunsmith in the country. With Parker values running from $3000 to $50,000, he's often shipping very valuable stuff.

He's also often shipping guns that may have originally sold for only a couple of hundred bucks back when new. He told me of a horror story of a customer shipping an 80 year old parker and it was lost by UPS. They paid him promptly. . . . . the $180 it originally sold for. Not the $4000 it is worth today. I learned this after shipping him a Parker 20 GA DHE, insured for $4000 via UPS for a friend.

I screwed up big time. It got to him, thankfully. But I massively misjudged the value of the gun. (Its condition with intact color case hardening, 20ga , D grade, Ejector all combined to make for a $15,000 gun)

Larry will only ship USPS First Class Registered mail, insured to its current value. The gun is tracked and must be signed in and out by every person who gives it up or receives it. It actually takes a bit longer than regular first class or Priority mail. But its chain of custody is ensured along the entire trip. This is also how jewelers ship expensive jewelry.

Obviously this is overkill for a $500 Glock. But if you ever need to ship a firearm that is really valuable, this is how to do it.

+1
This is how I ship anything of great value. Registered stuff doesn't get lost. If it is stolen LEOs are looking for a perpetrator who assaulted a postal employee.

Short and sweet. .. I sold a handgun on Gunbroker. Purchaser lives out of state, Illinois if you must know. I'm shipping to his ffl. What's the best, LEGAL, cheapest way? Next day FedEx and UPS are $70 or so. Since it's going to an ffl can I ship ground or 2nd day? Can an ffl?

I live 8n Chelmsford, work in Marlboro, don't want to drive an hour to save $15...

Thanks...
Fedex ground in an inconspicuous box.

Back
Top Bottom