• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How to ship (cheaply!) a handgun

Short and sweet. .. I sold a handgun on Gunbroker. Purchaser lives out of state, Illinois if you must know. I'm shipping to his ffl. What's the best, LEGAL, cheapest way? Next day FedEx and UPS are $70 or so. Since it's going to an ffl can I ship ground or 2nd day? Can an ffl?

I live 8n Chelmsford, work in Marlboro, don't want to drive an hour to save $15...

Thanks...

Short and sweet. .. I sold a handgun on Gunbroker. Purchaser lives out of state, Illinois if you must know. I'm shipping to his ffl. What's the best, LEGAL, cheapest way? Next day FedEx and UPS are $70 or so. Since it's going to an ffl can I ship ground or 2nd day? Can an ffl?

I live 8n Chelmsford, work in Marlboro, don't want to drive an hour to save $15...

Thanks...

Legal Shipping of Firearms & Ammo for Dummies 2016

This thread is a couple of years old, but when I sold a Handgun on GB I found it to be very helpful.

The bottom line is you need to SIGN UP for a UPS ACCOUNT.

It is FREE and then you can ship overnight for half the price.

I don't THINK it has to be ffl-to-ffl, but I'm FAR from an expert or lawyer, and I most certainly did NOT stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... Hence the emphasis on "LEGAL" in my original post:)

Does not have to be FFL to FFL but a local FFL might ship it for you a lot cheaper than next day since, as an FFL, they can use USPS services.

I have had the receiving FFL them me that they will only receive a gun from another FFL and that I could not send it directly. Not law, but the business decision. Make sure you talk to the FFL first

I also can't add nothing but I thought it had to go ffl to ffl. my bad. learning new stuff again. ffl's can ship 2nd day, no?

Does not have to be FFL to FFL but a local FFL might ship it for you a lot cheaper than next day since, as an FFL, they can use USPS services.
So I thought, my closest ffl said "Next Day is the law". His house, his rules. My money, hence my search for an alternative.

I have had the receiving FFL them me that they will only receive a gun from another FFL and that I could not send it directly. Not law, but the business decision. Make sure you talk to the FFL first
Not mentioned 8n my original post (my bad) but my ad on GB specified the incoming ffl MUST accept a private shipment. I have his info, haven't verified they'll accept it yet. If I can get a local to ship it cheaper, or close, including a "handling fee" that's my preference.

Shit it to the FFL via UPS or FEDX . The second day air means nothing. It's company policy, not law. Ground is cheaper if they'll do it. Jack.
There's a ups hub a mile away I'm planning to stop and ask them tomorrow.

The cheapest way is to go to a local FFL that you like that doesn't hate you and pay them to ship it for you. They can use USPS and get the cheap shipping, and even throwing the guy a vig of like $20 or $25 on top will still be cheaper and easier than UPS or Fedex.

Every other option is 110% rape unless you're skirting around some law or policy.

-Mike

Probably because it's a recurring theme and I'm google/forum search impaired. But thanks for adding (nothing) to the thread[thumbsup]

Nope. It’s because you already started a thread about this...

Shipping a Firearm

Just ship the thing already. If I bought this off you thru GB I would be getting a little pissed by now.

UPS and FEDEX company policy are overnight/next day air. Will they accept 2nd day or slower??? It depends on who accepts it at the hub. If you have issues with a lost package and you didn’t follow their rules, then you may have issues with insurance.

For the money MFS charges... no brainer for me.

It should be just as easy to ship a handgun as it is to ship a colo-rectal test kit...

iu

butt it ain't...

UPS and FEDEX company policy are overnight/next day air. Will they accept 2nd day or slower??? It depends on who accepts it at the hub. If you have issues with a lost package and you didn’t follow their rules, then you may have issues with insurance.

For the money MFS charges... no brainer for me.

I shipped a gun a few months ago via UPS. Printed out a ground label and handed the package to the USP driver when he came to pickup/deliver. Piece of cake and no questions asked. He doesn't give a shit what's in the box.

your mileage may vary...

For a handgun as asked

For a non-licensee (you dont have an FFL)

UPS and FedEx will only accept for overnight delivery
USPS will not accept at all
DHL will not accept at all

For a licensee (you have an FFL)
UPS, FedEx, DHL 2nd day air
USPS priority (usually 2nd day in effect)

UPS, FedEx and DHL are not to be dropped off at retail locations. The common carrier exemptions in the law do not apply if you drop off at Kinkos for example.

Given the gap between UPS or FedEx overnight cost and USPS priority flat rate cost, paying an FFL to ship for you will usually be cheapest approach.

People will have successfully worked around the non-licensee policies of the mentioned carriers and will tell you what/how.

The cheapest way is to go to a local FFL that you like that doesn't hate you and pay them to ship it for you. They can use USPS and get the cheap shipping, and even throwing the guy a vig of like $20 or $25 on top will still be cheaper and easier than UPS or Fedex.

Every other option is 110% rape unless you're skirting around some law or policy.

-Mike

Yup. For a small gun, not in a case, a FFL (sorry, does not apply to 03 FFL) can ship for $6 for USPS flat rate box.

One other trick if you are going to ship yourself is to ship the slide, box and all accessories via USPS priority mail or whatever is cheaper.

Then ship only the frame/receiver via Fedex or UPS. This greatl reduces the weight and cost of shipping via those high priced providers.

From Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

The reference to federal law requiring notification to the carrier is what I would worry about getting crosswise on. If you want to violate their policy, you likely need to not notify them.

If you violate UPS or fedex policy, the biggest risk is that the insurance you bought is invalid.

Only if you are dumb enough to buy their rip-off insurance. Solution to that is probably earlier in this thread or easily found, so I'm not going to go over that again.

From Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

The reference to federal law requiring notification to the carrier is what I would worry about getting crosswise on. If you want to violate their policy, you likely need to not notify them.

True and ignored by many.

On the other hand I've notified verbally each time and since they don't take note of it, who's to prove you did or did not notify?

Yeah, the BATF likes to play fast and loose with the facts in their FAQs. The actual text they reference says:

18 USC 922 (e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

So, the actual reg says notification is required if you're not shipping to a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector, which the OP is, in this case.

When queried on the matter, the BATF admitted such in a letter.

Ref_BATF Shipping Letter 1.jpg
Ref_BATF Shipping Letter 2.jpg

So, policy might require it, but the law doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom