how to deal with nuance animals

Cant believe no-one has mentioned taking up archery. Im sure bow hunting has different regs on distances from dwellings ext....if not, well, as mentioned, be subtle.

Great point. My buddy in CT lives in a typical suburban neighborhood with 1 acre zoning. He had a deer problem so he set up a tree stand over the apple tree in his yard, and was able to pretty well control his nuance deer population. There are no statutory distance or acreage requirements when hunting with a bow and arrow.

The biggest issue is that once a deer is hit with an arrow, even a good hit, they don't just fall over dead. So he usually has to recover the animal from a neighbor's yard. He's had some neighbor issues with that, but he's been able to resolve it in his favor by calling the CT Dept of Environmental Protection. and having the neighbor speak with a conservation officer. The answer is always the same. "Mr Neighbor, you have a right to keep the deer since it is on your property, but if you don't want it, you need to let Mr Hunter remove it. ".

Actually this friend got tired of the neighbor confrontations. He now takes them illegally from his bedroom at night with a very accurate scoped .22 rifle at a maximum distance of about 40 ft. Head shots only. They drop right where they stood. CCI velocitor is very very effective. Safe because with the angle of the bullet, if he were to miss, it would hit the ground within 3 ft. Humane - instant lights out. Effective - he uses a motion sensor attached to a clock radio. When the deer is under the apple tree, his clock radio wakes him up.

Don

Pee all around the area.

There's a product called "liquid fence" that works pretty well. It's a little teduious, you wind up spraying it around the perimeter, needs to be reapplied, but it does work. Snowfall makes it "not work".

Coyote urine is often used; that may clear up the deer and the coyotes.

Nuance animals? Are those like slight mutations of regular animals?

-Mike

Still much better than Nihilistic animals...

640.jpg

Yes, but those regs relate to firearms. I know that there is another reg that says anything that launches a projectile is a firearm, but it obviously isn't used to regulate water guns and nerf guns...
So is it still considered hunting with a pellet gun? What about a paint ball gun?

Side question, way back when I was told that chewing tobacco kept deer away.... Don't know if it worked but we didn't see deer after that...anyone else hear this before?

Plainly, in MA, you cannot hunt ANYTHING, with ANYTHING, within 500' of a dwelling in use, w/o owner consent. And, you cannot hunt within 150' of a hard surfaced roadway. Implements is a whole other deal.

-----

Reminds me of...

I was in a DSG store a while back, and there was a retirement-aged couple there inquiring about a pellet gun, "Would this be effective on cats?" The store clerk responded, "Yeah, sure. I guess so."

Put some food out to attract a larger animal to take care of the yote and deer problem

20130819__tfront20_500.jpg

Yes, but those regs relate to firearms. I know that there is another reg that says anything that launches a projectile is a firearm, but it obviously isn't used to regulate water guns and nerf guns...
So is it still considered hunting with a pellet gun? What about a paint ball gun?

Side question, way back when I was told that chewing tobacco kept deer away.... Don't know if it worked but we didn't see deer after that...anyone else hear this before?

Nope. This is the law:

Discharge of any firearm or release of any arrow upon or across any state or hard-surfaced highway, or within 150 feet of any such highway, or possession of a loaded firearm, discharge of a firearm, or hunting on the land of another within 500 feet of any dwelling or building in use, except as authorized by the owner or occupant thereof. See Massachusetts Gun Laws for additional firearms regulations.

http://www.eregulations.com/massachusetts/huntingandfishing/hunting-prohibitions/

You could shoot them with a paint ball gun but you might have a local animal lover complain the e authorities that you are harassing the wild life. Besides much of their activity is at night so you would have to pull all nighters to discourage them.

The only real solution is to get the neighbors to sign off on a permission slip and kill them.

Bob

Plainly, in MA, you cannot hunt ANYTHING, with ANYTHING, within 500' of a dwelling in use, w/o owner consent. And, you cannot hunt within 150' of a hard surfaced roadway. Implements is a whole other deal.

See post #8 - Could you cite this? I see Chapt. 131 Sec. 58 as the controlling law for hunting near a dwelling and it states "hunt by any means on the land of another within five hundred feet of any dwelling in use" - If you are not "hunt by ... on the land of another" then it doesn't apply (obviously you need to be 150' from the road).

See post #8 - Could you cite this? I see Chapt. 131 Sec. 58 as the controlling law for hunting near a dwelling and it states "hunt by any means on the land of another within five hundred feet of any dwelling in use" - If you are not "hunt by ... on the land of another" then it doesn't apply (obviously you need to be 150' from the road).

If you're taking an animal, and you're not a PAC agent, you're hunting. You need a license to hunt. And if you're a licensed hunter, you'd be aware of the regulations. Target shooting is not hunting, if that's what you're getting at?

It's all in here, somewhere...

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/laws-regulations/

+1 on peeing a circumference around the property. Nail them with a paintball instead of a pellet.

paintball would piss a deer off. and you can nail them with multiple shots.

an arrow with a judo point would just bounce off the deer, but cause him an unpleasant amount of pain. and you are clearly not "hunting" since the judo point is non lethal.

Last edited:
If you're taking an animal, and you're not a PAC agent, you're hunting. You need a license to hunt. And if you're a licensed hunter, you'd be aware of the regulations. Target shooting is not hunting, if that's what you're getting at?

It's all in here, somewhere...

http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/laws-regulations/
No I was asking for a cite for the 500' statements. The section I quoted states one must obtain permission when hunting on the land of another.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

+1 on peeing a circumference around the property. Nail them with a paintball instead of a pellet.

I piss in scrapes with cameras on them and deer still stop to sniff. I doubt this will be a viable solution to keep them off the property.

I was going to say use some hot sauce and used coffee grinds. Maybe pee while you're there, then spray some liquid dish detergent. That, or buy a crossbow.

Actually, a slingshot would do the trick. Don't people use scarecrows and tin pie plates dangling around any more?

...Coyote urine is often used; that may clear up the deer and the coyotes.

Wouldn't coyote urine attract more coyote?

Potato gun

^^^ Yup.

A Bird Cannon would also work, but they are expensive. Most need no power, run off propane, some you can set to go off every 15 minutes or once a day.

I have several steel air cannons that shoot tennis balls. Load up 5 or 6 and blast away. They are almost as loud as a 12 gauge.
Tennis balls are lethal if shot in the head under 20 feet @ 150-220psi. After 150-200 feet they have almost no velocity and can catch them with your hands.

I am a little surprised no one mentioned:

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ Yup.

A Bird Cannon would also work, but they are expensive. Most need no power, run off propane, some you can set to go off every 15 minutes or once a day.

I have several steel air cannons that shoot tennis balls. Load up 5 or 6 and blast away. They are almost as loud as a 12 gauge.
Tennis balls are lethal if shot in the head under 20 feet @ 150-220psi. After 150-200 feet they have almost no velocity and can catch them with your hands.

Hell doesn't go that far I would just take my can Canon down there and bounce some tennis balls off them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Just put up some poles and string that orange safety fence you can get at home depot. I watched one spend 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get over a guard rail one morning. She gave up and went back into the woods where she came from.

Back
Top Bottom