How to correct myself?

I'm a new gun owner, so forgive me if this is a basic question.

My grouping is down to the left of the center? very consistent, extremely consistent.

Is this my new SIG aims? or is it my grip? Any advice\suggestion or drill, would be appreciated.

If it is a sig you are probably overpulling/slapping the piss out of the the trigger in SA, which is a common problem on a newer P series because very often the single action mode sear breaks way too hard.... either that, or you are "flinching consistently" although flinchers tend to spray bullets all over the target, not put them neatly in one spot.

I would shoot the gun off a rest (sandbags or the like) though, to confirm it's not the gun screwing up. Target should be at 15-25 feet, 30 tops.

-Mike

Some flinchers do make groups, and down and to the left is where this flincher puts them. If you're anything like me, you're flinching - and if you're new, you may not know it.

To test if you're doing what I do (flinching): Shoot a few rounds (or even a full mag or two) to get the flinching started, and then dry fire once or twice. When dry firing, at the moment the gun goes "click", what happens to the sights? Do they drop down and to the left? If they do, then you're flinching. It's like an instinctual thing, where a part of the brain that usually keeps quiet, takes over completely for an instant.

Dry fire some more, until you can dry fire keeping the sights on target (keeping that part of the brain in check). Then try with ammo, and see if it's better. Let us know how it goes.

Check your finger position on the trigger; if your finger is on or past the first knuckle joint you may be pulling to the left during firing (assuming right handed shooter). Also try the dime drill: with a snap cap in the chamber or while dry firing, place a dime flat on the end of the slide just behind the front sight. Practice slowly squeezing the trigger so that when the hammer drops the dime doesn't fall off the slide. If you're flinching or jerking you'll see the dime start to fall off.

managed to work on this today at the range, looks like it was my finger positioning, it was indeed slightly pass my first knuckle and that caused left down draw.....now my grouping is centered. Breathing technique in the Army Marksmanship Unit's Pistol Shooter's Guide, probably improved that to some extend as well.

Thank you all!

The two biggest issues are sight alignment and trigger squeeze. Everything else is of far less importance. Glad you are on target now.

Back
Top Bottom