how to become a State Certified instructor?

SnakeEye

Banned
More importantly what would be the steps required to become certified by the Criminal Justice training Council for instructing Police personel?
Must one already be a LEO?
Im curious were to begin and where to contact to get the ball rolling if its at all posible for a civi.
thnx all

Last edited:
You have to be a LEO and you have to be sponsored by a department to take any courses offered by the MPTC.
LEO's DO NOT take to being trained by non-LEO's.

Last edited:
SnakeEye said:
well everyone non LEO before training :p
gotta start somewhere
Yup, they do. Take the test and get on the list. We have 6 guys in the academy right now. Just lost 2 more to the SP's.
I hear Barnstable wants to hire 6 but the word is, they want transfers and also heard NYPD was looking for 800!
I have my instructors cert but I was told that the Dept wouldn't use me.

Snake- not sure what you have to do to instruct LEOs, but to get a State Police cert you have to take the NRA Instructor certification class. Then send a copy of your certificate to the state police. They'll send you your MSP certificate. You can't conduct a class until you're cert'd by the state.

Well, you could, but your students wouldn't be able to apply for LTCs because it'd be worthless.

At least getting your MSP cert would be a start.

is the test done obtained through the boston police academy, the Mass State police, or is it handled by individual department?
hey ive been complaining im in need of a career change, if their hiring it seems like at the very lease something worth looking into.

SnakeEye said:
is the test done obtained through the boston police academy, the Mass State police, or is it handled by individual department?
hey ive been complaining im in need of a career change, if their hiring it seems like at the very lease something worth looking into.
Civil Service. Start here http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=hrdhomepage&L=1&sid=Ehrd&L0=Home
There are Dept's in MA that don't use Civil Service. You'll have to hunt them out.

JonJ said:
LEO's DO NOT take to being trained by non-LEO's.
There are exceptions to this. I know a number of people who make a large chunk of their living as guest instructors at various federal agencies and military bases (both US and foreign) who have never worn a badge or a uniform.

None of these people got to that level by starting as NRA instructors, teaching local civilian courses and then moving their way up the food chain.

They did it by becomeing big names in the competitive shooting world (generally USPSA/IPSC), and then branched off into training. Names like Voigt, Jarrett, Garcia and Barnhart come to mind.

Yes, but MCOPA would NEVER bring them in to teach here! If they didn't think of it first and it isn't one of their own, MCOPA wants no part of it!

PD Instructors

In NJ you would have to go through an academy course held at any of the 23 state academies. You have to be sponsored by a department and have to be a sworn personnel to attend.Most of the departments go this route to certify their officers. A few use the NRA course but I believe you also have to be either a sworn officer of other indiviual involved in training. The Basic Pistol/Rifle Instructor Course is not acceptable to the state. But I've never seen an agency use a cilivian to train the department and the academies will not acept a civilian as a firearm's instuctor for qualification purposes.

However, once you are qualified, you can continue to be employed after retirement qualified officers. One very large department hired their retired FI to train the department as a cost savings measure.

In MA, once a MPTC firearms instructor retires, his teaching credentials do too! He is no longer allowed to teach at the academy unless he remains an active LEO! One solution is that some towns will appoint retirees as Special Police Officers so that they can continue to work details . . . then they would also be able to continue as MPTC instructors as well.

LenS said:
In MA, once a MPTC firearms instructor retires, his teaching credentials do too! He is no longer allowed to teach at the academy unless he remains an active LEO! One solution is that some towns will appoint retirees as Special Police Officers so that they can continue to work details . . . then they would also be able to continue as MPTC instructors as well.
Not entirely true. Retirees have been used in both recruit and in-service academies. Even retired Deputy Sheriffs, believe it or not.

Well, I know one very pissed off retired Brockton PO that would love to continue teaching firearms, but MPTC told him "no, his instructor status went when he retired". He's my source of info on this situation. He's Tom Downey, the owner of Fairground Traders in Brockton and we used to belong to the same gun club.

LenS said:
Well, I know one very pissed off retired Brockton PO that would love to continue teaching firearms, but MPTC told him "no, his instructor status went when he retired". He's my source of info on this situation. He's Tom Downey, the owner of Fairground Traders in Brockton and we used to belong to the same gun club.
Brockton PD has their own in-house firearms training. I'm sure that Tom faced some internal forces within the department.

Back
Top Bottom