How often do you practice with your carry gun ?

i shoot what im carrying every range trip. I shoot 2 rounds from it just the way I brought it, to make sure it would have worked if it was needed( it usually blows pocket lint everywhere!) I then replace the remaining carry ammo with target stuff, and blast away

At least once a week...... would be my preference.

However, the reality of life = not anywhere near that often. Just too busy with work = 6.5 days a week.

Pretty pathetic, considering that I also have a back yard range......

[banghead]

UGH = For me, time is a commodity.

Not enough.

I try to put at least a couple thousand rounds through a year... so far I'm a little bit below the goal. Time is the primary constraint unfortunately.

Mike

Not enough.

I try to put at least a couple thousand rounds through a year... so far I'm a little bit below the goal. Time is the primary constraint unfortunately.

Mike

Add to that having to hunt around for ammo

And I'm not practicing as much as I should be. I try to do at least 200rds but sometimes I doesnt happen. Also I don't have a lot of handguns so I shot my carry pistol mainly

Often enough to ensure reliability.

Dry fire & draw from concealment(Yes unloaded add checked twice), every couple days.

Last edited:
Carry gun should be one of the best pistols you shot if not your best. This means shooting it regularly enough to remain proficient. Shooting is a perishable skill.

This means drawing it quickly from it's regular carry position, though your every day clothes, presenting and hitting the target in a consistent and quick manner.

Lastly but importantly, rotating the magazines in your carry gun on a regular basis.

Every range trip as well. I do not own competition/collection pieces. I carry what I have, and try to stay proficient with everything. I see my guns as tools, an tools are meant
to be used. Safe queens are something I don't get my head around.
I have a routine of practicing draw 15 times per day, and 10 quick mag changes. Now, I know I will get booed by people here, but I practice it with a snap cap in the top 2 spots of the mag, and FMJ for the rest, to stay used to the weight of a fully loaded mag. But then, I'm nuts anyway, so, who really cares?

I do mostly as Derek said....do a complete draw/fire/reload/fire just as I would have to if needed, with clothes tucked in/mag carrier where it belongs etc. I fully empty the mags, usually the first mag I just dump it with controlled pairs, and the second I fire 2-3 rounds at a time with 5-10 seconds in between, figure that would replicate most situations. Yes I go through 2 mags of expensive ammo, but I can't seem to put a price on my life, so I suck it up..I go once a week so it amounts to about $60 a month extra to do this, depending if I'm "testing" the G26 or the G19.

I train every day before stepping out of the house, if I am going to carry. (Sometimes, I can't carry in certain places). I do a few quick draw and reloading \ jam drills a few times, then I step out. I dry fire like all hell when I'm home too.

I get to the range at least once a week. I shoot my carry pistol about every other time. I carry & shoot what I reload : old fashioned lead 230grain ball. I dont trust that new fangled Hollow point stuff.

I use metal spinners or paper plates , and spend at least half my pistol time doing draw and fire from my concealment holster. the other half of the time/ammo I do more interesting games , shooting while moving , oddball positions ... kind of "whatever is fun today " after the disciplined first drills.

Every trip out I practice with my rifle.

I'm still practicing carrying an empty holster, soon as I get my permit I'll post back with some statistics, but don't expect much, at the prices out there and the one box a week limit in most shops, plus club joining fees and dues, I am thinking maybe 48 rounds a week at best, that should leave me with at least 2 bullets left for self defense if needed.

Tim [grin]

Carry gun should be one of the best pistols you shot if not your best. This means shooting it regularly enough to remain proficient. Shooting is a perishable skill.

This means drawing it quickly from it's regular carry position, though your every day clothes, presenting and hitting the target in a consistent and quick manner.

Lastly but importantly, rotating the magazines in your carry gun on a regular basis.

Have to add the mag switch to the line up- Thanks

I try to go once/week but I sometimes miss a week. I usually only shoot between 50-100 rounds in an outing. In addition to that I take two courses at sig every year to correct any bad habits I may have formed and learn new techniques.

Back
Top Bottom