How many mags is enough?

jron

NES Member
What do you feel is a good number of mags to have on hand for your primary use rifle in all seriousness?

Last edited:
Seven - for moving fast and light. Any more on your person is heavy and stupid. If you're dug-in, well, as many as you feel you need.

Your overall question is pretty vague... For what purpose are we talking? A godd generic answer is 10-15. I keep that as rule of thumb for my hand guns and 9mm carbine

For rifle/carbine: At least 10 each is a good start. That's 30 round mag's though. Double the number if 20 round mags.
For pistol: If you cannot have at least 50 rounds in mags, you need more.

As far as 'enough' mags... Hmmmmm, maybe 666 mags per firearm would be a good start. [devil]

As much as you have ammo to fill. Mags without ammo are useless. Ammo without mags not completely useless, but not helpful in a firefight when you're using a mag fed rifle.

If you're willing to spend $400-500 per case of ammo, why not be willing to spend the same on mags? PMAGs are $10 each. That's 40-50 mags right off the bat, one order.

Any equipment you have dedicated to SHTF should have their own dedicated mags that are loaded and stored in the gear. Example: You own a plate carrier with three double mag pouches. They should always have 6 loaded mags in them. They should not be sharing with your range equipment.

If you have ammo but no mags to put it in, buy more mags. If you have mags and no ammo, buy more ammo. rinse. repeat. Like hot dogs and hot dog buns, they come in different quantities (why!?!?) and never work out evenly so you should be buying for ever....

With that said i dont have less than 5 mags for any hand gun I own. You never know when you might want to use it in a steel challenge, idpa, or other match...

I have 15 loaded standard capacity ar mags. I need/want more. I have a 420 round case of ammo on stripper clips. Thats good for another 14 mags to fill.

Obviously there is no way in hell I would be carrying all those mags myself on my person. I'm sure 7 mags (6 +1 in the gun) weigh enough as it is. It does mean that I can load out anyone else I trust with mags though. Figures that those who I would bug out to (my parents) sold their AR's....

For rifle/carrying? 6+1. For storage, a multiple of that - what you can afford.

I have 3 or more magazines for every semi-auto pistol I own, and speed loaders for the wheel guns.

Unfortunately, living in assachusetts, you're stuck with pre-ban rifle mags, which are much more expensive.

Suggest you gather a cache of them and leave them in a free state.

I don't think I'm alone when I say "all of them".

The answer changes a lot when you specify a scenario, since like others have posted, you can't really carry more than a few hundred rounds and move at a good pace for long periods of time.

Standard load out for peacetime base security used to be 8 mags x 30. 240 rounds. If you were careful, that was expected to last three minutes in a firefight. Try carrying more than about 12 mags and you find it gets bulky and heavy real fast.

So practically speaking, if you are concerned about defending yourself in a sustained situation, you want as many as you can afford, and keep them loaded.

Last edited:
This many

preparedness.jpg

SHTFsafepic.jpg

Back
Top Bottom