How many magazines do you have for your pistols/rifles?

Redbos99

Banned
Hi,

I always tend to buy tons of prebans for my Glock's and Ar's, are you guys the same?

I just figure, some day all the prebans will be gone, why not buy them now and put them away. Do you guys agree?>

Thanks,

Will

I buy magazines for gun I plan to keep and guns for when the SHTF such as I have a ton of g19 mags ak mags and ar mags

Not enough. [smile]

I guess it depends on what I am using the firearm for. Some of my rifles (22's) I only have 1, which is definitely not enough. Most of my pistols I have 2-3 minimum, 5-6 for a couple (1911, XDM). For the AR and MSR STG556 I have enough Probably could use 2-3 more for the M1A.

I tend to buy more for certain guns and less for others although I would like to get more for those as well. Right now I mostly have a decent supply of AR, AK, Galil and some Glock mags with the AR mags leading the way. In general it's good to have spares around as you never know when one could break either from use or accidentally dropping on concrete.

Also if you're going to have so many mags lying around you mine as well have some loaded, you know.....just in case zombies attack or the health care bill gets passed......

Varies widely based on the firearm.

For a number of my firearms, I have only 1. Reasons include:

1) Internal Magazine (have a lot of weapons like this)
2) Proprietary magazine only available from manufacturer and they want an excessive amount for it (have very few like that)
3) Specific Target Weapon so I don't have a strong need for additional magazines
4) Haven't purchased spares yet

For most of my firearms with removable / detachable magazines, I have a handful (3-5)
For a few specific firearms, I have a fair number. (>5)

I have carried concealled with a Glock 20 and Dan Wesson Commander in 10mm plus 5 magazines for the prior and 4 for the later. When asked what I was so worried about, I told the person, I have 2 handguns and 100 rounds of ammunition, what's there to be worried about?

I don't currently have a functional AR-15, so I don't currently have any AR-15 magazines. I need to correct that since I am working on having a functional AR-15 in the near future.

I like drum's avatar!

Hah, thanks. I found it the other day. It's actually an animated gif of it shooting but I can't figure out for the life of me how to get it animated and be my avatar. I tried multiple links and whatnot to try to post it that way but can't seem to get it to work.

6 for the M-1A with strippers for a reload of each-2 speed loaders
6 for the AR same with the strippers
5 for the AK, no strippers for that caliber so boxes for that.
4 for the Sig I carry
2 for the 1911 (would prefer 4 minimum)

3 for the 10-22 for 50 rds total.

Not enough. I like to have 6 for anything at a minimum. Preferably, lots more.

-Mike

Dude, you need to carry a backup bullet in your shirt pocket... what if things get really bad?! [laugh]

This is the well known and age old proven Barney Fife method..
His current method of course is the Barney Fife Tacticool Mall Ninja approach ( a new and deadly tactical variant).

Last edited:
I recommend one back up mag for the carry pistol as an absolute minimum. Most feed issues are solved by a mag change. You don't want feed issues in a pinch.

This question is useless! Big difference between a 45 round and a 10 round Ma compliant! As far as the Enfield, Forget the detachable mag, it is made that way for cleaning. I have chargers I'll give you. Screw more capacity, get something to punch through bricks w/ handguns.

I do find that I tend to accumulate more rifle mags than those for my pistols. I have in the vicinity of about 30 AR mags, 10 galil, 8 AK mags and a few others for other rifles. When it comes to pistols I have between 2-5 each. I think I need MOAR!!

i only have 4 mags for my glock, and 4 pre-bans for my AR (that isnt built yet [laugh])

as others have stated, not enough.

range toys - whatever they came with (2, 3, 4, sometimes more)

SHTF tools - enough to carry in my chest-rig / drop-leg combo...

-anything extra is moot if you can't move with it or sleep in it

you must be able to fit alot of mags in a tactical molle vest attached mag carrier.

naw, i have a radio flyer for extra cases of ammo and my 50 mags [rofl]

i just have to camo paint it and attach the IR patches

5.jpg

As an addition, I shoot pistol matches. (USPSA/IDPA/Pins/Steel) so lots of mags are essential. There are some ranges where you do NOT want to drop a mag in the dust of and then use it again without a complete dissemble and cleaning. Watervliet, NY jumps immediately to mind.

you must be able to fit alot of mags in a tactical molle vest attached mag carrier.

Looked at a tactical vest the other day:

3 Pistol mags on left chest, 3 2x rifle mag pouches on both right and left abdomine pulse 2 single mag pouches on the right and left slightly behind the ribs. 6 shotgun loops over the pistol mag pouches. Knife pouch on left shoulder strap. Add a 2 2x left leg drop rig plus a right thigh pistol rig and the setup carries 18 rifle mags, 5 pistol mags and 6 shotgun shells. Was an interesting rig, but that's a LOT of ammo.

Back
Top Bottom