How long will Glocks be around in Mass?

Reptile

NES Member
I can see from the classifieds that many of us love Glocks. They never remain up for sale long due to their demand. They're are a limited number in Massachusetts, with the exception of unusual (but legal) transactions. I do not foresee new Glock sales anytime soon.[sad2]

My question to the Glock aficionados is this:

Is it time to start hoarding Glocks as much as you can afford to do so?[thinking]

Reptile

All i know is that if glocks become MA compliant now, we are all screwed lol. Its a double edged sword. We would be able to buy new glocks at reasonable prices. Those of us that already bought pre-bans at a high price will lose our shirts on our used guns.

All i know is that if glocks become MA compliant now, we are all screwed lol. Its a double edged sword. We would be able to buy new glocks at reasonable prices. Those of us that already bought pre-bans at a high price will lose our shirts on our used guns.

Did you buy yours to make money?

Own them, shoot them, enjoy them, the rest is not worth worrying about.

Good point...

Maybe I should hope for the best and not hoard then. I'll just use what I have and not keep 5 spares for each model. [smile]

I am still hoping they will soon become MA compliant again. Then I will begin to acquire the ones I'm not really interested in just to have them. For now, I've overpaid for the ones I shoot regularly and don't regret it at all. I won't lose any money on my Glocks because I don't plan to sell them. My kids can worry about their resale value when they inherit them thru my estate...
-Cuz.

g19's

I have four G19's (2nd generation) for the very reason you have brought up. I shoot them all on a sort of rotational manner and have different sights on a couple. I also have an overpriced G26 and reasonably priced G17. If they become legal, great! I'd really like to own a 3rd generation 19! But I don't regret owning any of them. I figure if they never become legal, I've got enough.

They are not going anywhere, our classified ads alone have over a dozen that have been bumped at least once in the last few weeks. I do agree with Greg too, the prices have been coming down, maybe in part due to the M&P line (which I prefer[grin]).

Glocks

They are Mass. compliant as far as I am concerned. They submitted a Mass. compliant model a few years ago. I think the AG, Reilly, just has a hair across his ass for Glock`s. Coakly won`t even address the issue.

My belief is that new Glocks probably won’t become “Mass legal” any time too soon. Mostly because of the media stigma associated with an “evil looking black handgun.” The politicians will “feel” safer ignoring the fact that a Glock is just as safe or safer, and as well made or of higher quality than any modern handgun… because Glock “sounds scary.”

Can you imagine a press release announcing the legalization of new Glock sales in MA??… and the tiny minded responses….

“Can you believe they made those legal to by in MA?!?!”
“I know, such a dangerous weapon has no business being out on the streets!”

Meanwhile in reality neither of these fictitious individuals could probably identify an “illegal and dangerous” Glock in comparison to a “legal and safe” S&W M&P if they were both placed on a table in front of them. [thinking]

Well, I hope I'm wrong. I would love a collection of various sized brand new shiney Glocks at a reasonable market price.

Given that Glocks are largely plastic, they, like nuclear waste, will be here long after the owners are gone....

You know the funny thing is that newbies will probably think Scriv's avatar is a pic of him doing some kind of tactical training, I also see you have an updated title.

Back on topic.

Is it time to start hoarding Glocks as much as you can afford to do so?[thinking]

IMO if you don't reload, start hoarding ammo, instead... or if you do reload, start hoarding components. [grin] There will always be people dumping off Glocks, unless the laws change significantly in MA. There will always be a certain amount of people that try them and then dump the gun later on. In the grand scheme of things Glocks are not that hard to come by in MA. In the past year or so I've had multiple opportunities to buy just about any particular model number, and most of them at less than MA gouging price rates. I agree with Mikey- the M+P has kinda suppressed sales of the things, somewhat... which has brought prices down...

-Mike

Last edited:

Well, you won't lose a dime if you don't sell them. I don't buy guns for the sake of reselling them, though, so I'm kinda biased there. I've only ever had one gun I sold that I did better than breaking even on, and that was a Kahr MK9 that I got for an absurdly low amount of money. Looking back, though, I should have just kept the damn thing. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
well maybe i worded it wrong but all im saying is that if glocks become legal to sell again in MA then i know i will be pissed. I paid the average price for a very good condition but still USED gun. New glock 27's can be had for under $600. I think the last time i was at kittery they going for $580 new

The reality here is that buying a 10 year old used Glock (from a dealer) is not as smart as buying a new M&P from that same dealer for less money. Sure, you can get legal high cap magazines for the Glock, but so what? The only smart way to buy a Glock is through a private sale, from someone who is not out to max out the selling price. Then pick up some pre ban high caps. I actually like the M&P better.

Chris

The reality here is that buying a 10 year old used Glock (from a dealer) is not as smart as buying a new M&P from that same dealer for less money. Sure, you can get legal high cap magazines for the Glock, but so what? The only smart way to buy a Glock is through a private sale, from someone who is not out to max out the selling price. Then pick up some pre ban high caps. I actually like the M&P better.
Chris

The only problem with opting to buy the new M&P is that you still don't have a Glock. You can only hope that it still works in 10 years or that you can still get parts for it. The M&P looks like a nice gun today, but time will tell if the platform is solid. Glocks have already passed the test of time. They are solid and they work. I'll overpay for a Glock before I buy an M&P any day of the week.
-Cuz.

You know the funny thing is that newbies will probably think Scriv's avatar is a pic of him doing some kind of tactical training, I also see you have an updated title.
Back on topic.

I think the exact same thing every time I see his avatar. The new title is very fitting. Of course, those of us in the know also appreciate the tons of free legal advice we also get from him. That alone is worth the abuse.
-Cuz.

Glocks are are great guns... very durable, dependable, lots of aftermarket parts, pre-ban toys ect.. they have an almost "cult-like" following....

to each his / her own i guess.

i prefer a brand new gun with "non-crippled" magazines..........

such as Single Stack / Action 1911's or compact or carry models (insert brand here).....

I find these to be just as reliable - with better ergonomics

I agree tha the M&P and similar guns have taken a bite out of the Glock market.... gotta love capitalism....

I'd love to see a high-cap SIGMA....... LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
well maybe i worded it wrong but all im saying is that if glocks become legal to sell again in MA then i know i will be pissed. I paid the average price for a very good condition but still USED gun. New glock 27's can be had for under $600. I think the last time i was at kittery they going for $580 new

I won't care one way or the other. I will rejoice in the fact that people can buy them new at any dealer. Any of the Glocks I've bought in MA, I never
got soaked that much on them anyways.

Of course I'm weird like that. I wouldn't care that much if I "lost" $9000 on a pre-86 MG if they were legalized again, either... yeah, it would still suck, but I wouldn't lose sleep over it. If I bought something like that, I would go into it knowing the price is artificially inflated and it could deflate at any moment. I would be rejoicing in the fact that people would have greater freedom than they used to. Anyone who buys an artifically inflated product should know up front the potential for its value to plummet at any time is very, very real. Doesn't matter whether its an overpriced glock in MA or a machinegun... same kind of risk, just different amount of cash.

-Mike

The only problem with opting to buy the new M&P is that you still don't have a Glock. You can only hope that it still works in 10 years or that you can still get parts for it. The M&P looks like a nice gun today, but time will tell if the platform is solid. Glocks have already passed the test of time. They are solid and they work. I'll overpay for a Glock before I buy an M&P any day of the week.
-Cuz.

S+W is still repairing pistols they made many, many years ago. Saying they won't support it is relatively improbable. I can buy the normal cap mag argument, and other arguments, but that one is factually weak, considering that as far as I know, S+W hasn't left users in the crapper with any product line, at least not that I'm aware of.

I'm not enamored with the M+P either but long term "support" viability, IMO, is a non issue, we're talking about S+W here.... [laugh]

-Mike

Let's not turn this into another M&P vs Glock thread.

I think the glut of second gens could have something to do with the fact that many people are moving up to the newer models and so the old models find their way to where people still want them.

Let's not turn this into another M&P vs Glock thread.

+1 on that. I didn't mean the Glock was "better", just that it was currently more time proven as it's been around longer. It's the same with many of the newer polymer's coming out such as the M&P or Springfield XD. While they may seem like nice guns now, only time will tell how they pan out. The biggest advantage the Glock has over all the newcomers is that they had about a 20 year head start. And, their reputation and quality has been good over that time period. It's going to take a little while for the newcomers to establish that kind of following of aftermarket parts, etc. It will be interesting to see what guns are being used in USPSA Production Division over the next 5 years or so as more and more manufacturers come into play. USPSA shooters are pretty quick to figure out what works and their heavy use of a gun will determine if it can hold up.
-Cuz.

Plastic guns and are the wave of the future though and with every gun company starting to make ther own to compete against glock it can only lead to better designs. I think it's a good thing, in the long run, it should get more people in to handguns because the competion will keep the prices down.

I was a little late getting in to plastic pistols and to tell the truth I've never been crazy about them. I really don't care for the trigger on most of them. If they could design one with a 1911 single action trigger, I would go nuts over them.

Back
Top Bottom