• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How long does it take to print the LTC and deliver it to the local PD?

johngalt2

NES Member
I called the LTC status line, and it seems like the LTC has been approved, and it's now in line to be printed. The lady told me it would take maybe 10 days to be delivered. But that obviously didn't happen.

Anyone have any idea how long this step takes?

It is my understanding that they are done in batches, not individually.

This is from another thread:
Card in hand. 7/28 application to 9/30 card in hand. Application was approved on 8/10. The state’s batch processing is the bottleneck in this whole thing.

It is my understanding that they are done in batches, not individually.
Yeah - that makes sense. Any idea how often they run the batches? Hopefully once a month at least. And then you wonder if they limit the size of the batch too. It would be good if they printed all the approved LTCs pending so far.

Yeah - that makes sense. Any idea how often they run the batches? Hopefully once a month at least. And then you wonder if they limit the size of the batch too. It would be good if they printed all the approved LTCs pending so far.
I don’t know how often they print them. All I know is it was about 50 days from when my application was approved to when it arrived at the local PD.

The state is nearly always done in a month or less sometimes even a week. 90 out of 100 times if an LTC takes more than a month it's because your PD is dragging a lot of ass or "sucks on purpose".
Interesting. But in this case, though, the status has been "printing" for the last 10 days. So that's all with the state. Maybe you are saying that I can look forward to some asshattery at the local PD after the LTC is printed and delivered to them? Sheesh.

Interesting. But in this case, though, the status has been "printing" for the last 10 days. So that's all with the state. Maybe you are saying that I can look forward to some asshattery at the local PD after the LTC is printed and delivered to them? Sheesh.
Maybe, depending on the town and how much they suck or not.

This is a classic case of MA dragging its feet when they have to do something they disapprove of, like issuing gun licenses, I'm sure there are people at every level of government whose attitude is "I don't think citizens ought to have guns so I'm just going to take my own sweet time processing these licenses". The worst of it is there is no enforcement of the rules governing the issuance of LTCs. Failure to do their jobs in a timely manner is always due to vague "staffing problems" and "the universal new excuse "supply chain issues".
I rather doubt all those illegal aliens excuse me "undocumented residents" who got their drivers licenses had to wait 50+ days.

My license is up for renewal in 2024 , how many months ahead should I turn in the application?
Someone on here will likely have a better answer but I'd recommend reaching out to your PD 6 months early to try making an appointment. The 2 towns I've lived in you're really at the mercy of the issuing officers schedule

My license is up for renewal in 2024 , how many months ahead should I turn in the application?
Mine expired last October. Sent it in in August. Town sent it back with a post it that said to send it back in September. Sent September 1st lol. Got a call that I needed new prints and picture. Had to wait til Oct 5th for that. My ltc expired the 22nd. Recieved the new one November 20th.

ETA - make sure you get the receipt. I didn't have to ask for mine but I've heard of people getting the run around

My town PD sucks for renewals
"Renewal applications will not be accepted any sooner than 3 months before the current LTC/FID expires."

I made sure I dropped it off 3 months to the day before the expiration date, for 2 months at least it just sat on the desk at the PD.
The state wasnt too bad with how long their approval & printing the new license
But the PD still wasnt done playing games, the license sat at the station for 2 weeks before they mailed out to me

For renewals, you don't have to worry, right? Because the rule is that as long as you turn in the application, you are good till the renewal comes in - however long it takes.
Please be aware that once your LTC/FID expires it is expired, there is no longer a grace period. If you renew your license prior to the expiration date, then the permit becomes indefinite until you receive your new permit.

For renewals, you don't have to worry, right? Because the rule is that as long as you turn in the application, you are good till the renewal comes in - however long it takes.
ONLY if you have that receipt! No receipt means no grace period or buying anything (per MGL).

who gives the receipt - the police dep?
Yes, MGL states that the PD MUST provide the receipt to the applicant within 7 days of receiving the application. It is largely ignored, however. When they enter your info in MIRCS, all they have to do it click a button to print the receipt and then sign it and mail it. Takes too much effort! :mad:
So then, how do you continue to use your expired LTC?
They let you upload a picture of your expired LTC as long as you also upload the receipt?!
With the MIRCS receipt, per MGL merely showing that receipt and your expired LTC gives you all the legal privileges that you had with an unexpired LTC. Many dealers won't honor it, but MGL (and the receipt itself) state that clearly. So you are supposed to be able to ccw, buy guns, buy ammo, etc.

Back
Top Bottom