How long did your LTC-A take in your town???

Well sometimes the written word can come off more condescending than it is intended, but let me tell you this that in the seven years I have known Len S., I know him to be spot on when it comes to Mass Firearms laws and he is one of the few non attorneys (of those who practice the arcane field of Mass Firearms Laws, which is probably dealing with more arcane laws than a tax attorney !) whose advice I will take to the bank.

I find it interesting that you advocated lying to the police, and your statement regarding your rep or mayor or selectman being a Democrat doesn't hold water and only shows your lack of knowledge regarding local politics in Massachusetts. There are plenty of Democrats in the General Court of the Commonwealth (state legislature) that have "A" ratings from GOAL. All politics is local as the late Tip O'Neal said, and you would be surprised sometimes how responsive a police department can get when a local pol steps in. I will grant you that everyone's experience is different. I'm not a cop, but work in the criminal justice system, and I cannot endorse LenS highly enough. He charges money for advice that he freely shares with people on this forum, and he doesn't have to share or respond, but he genuinely cares about people who desire a firearms license, and unlike yourself would never advocate lying to the police which you have done in writing on an open internet public forum.[/QUOTE

To lie and to give a reason for why a pd should give you a staight forward answer on how long they like to take to get your their permit is to different things. I have been known and so has my spouse for in haste grouping junk mail(market basket, coupons and such) and tossing it. And my mailman has not alway been perfect. So my reasoning is sound. Its not lieing, its bringing up a reason for why the pd should let you know where your app is and how long before you can expect a permit in the mail.

You guys can all defend lens, but to me he comes off as condescending. Im trying my best on my end, and he makes it sound like im doing nothing right and or im not trying to do the right thing...

I dont know any of you and i dont know if you are honest people... im just saying what i feel in this public forum. I know what ive been through and until you have been through what im dealing with i dont think anyone should knock me. I came here to see if anyone else had waited this long and to see what i could do. Ive tried and i do not have the funds to pay a lawyer. And ive tried the pols multiple times, in different ways(email, mail, and phone.).

I am at a loss

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

... lie (emphasis mine) about a jerk roomate who likes to throw away your mail...

agaldo81: despite your claims to the contrary, you did advocate lying to the police in a open public internet forum. How you can deny that you didn't raises some interesting questions about yourself.

Why I have not seen in your posts are a cogent listing of all the steps you have taken in trying to determine why you have not been granted your license. Perhaps a more detailed explanation of the steps you have taken and hoops that you have jumped through with absolutely no satisfaction, could help those "in the know" glean some specific insight into your predicament. Frame things in a generic way, and you will get generic answers.

Rather than attack LenS or anyone else here, your real beef is with your town chief of police, and I don't think anyone appreciates any personal attacks on them. Your issues are not with the people on this forum but with your local PD.

Perhaps if you were to email LenS (he doesn't PM) and outline your precise issues, he can help you, or budget with an hour consult with a competent firearms attorney such as Attorney Cohen for advice. Frequently you can get sound legal advice with an initial consult which is enough to assist you. I am not volunteering either of these gentlemen nor am I in their employment, but I am suggesting an alternative method of expressing your concern without having to resort to the vagueness of an open post.

It just sucks waiting and knowing that I will only be receiving a LTC Class A for Hunting and target shooting For 2 years.

You don't have to wait 2 years to upgrade. If you make a strong case for yourself supported by documents and character references you may not get restrictions at all.

That's not accidental wrt "file paper application".

I ADVOCATE that in all cases!! Sitting in the "hot seat" and being asked questions to which if you mess up an answer you can be denied or charged with perjury is a ticket to a disaster.

We (Wife and I) always fill out the paper and turn that in, even with MIRCS. In our town, before the "interview" the secretary retypes your form info into MIRCS and when you come in, she prints it out for your signature (under pains and penalties of perjury) and you can compare with the copy you KEPT and brought with you to ensure no errors before signing. It also makes the process in the "hot seat" go smoother and takes less time.

Doing it this way, if you ever have to research info (like prior addresses, info on references, past LE encounters/court appearances, etc.) you can do that in advance and know what you should be saying/putting on the application.

Len is absolutely right.

Hi Everyone,

My LTC expires in November. How many weeks should I apply for the renewal? I live in MA.

Also, I had a buddy just apply for his LTC and now there's a mandate for 3 letter of recommendations??? When the hell did this happen? What other lovely surprises do I have to deal with for my renewal??

Your recent experience would help a lot! Thanks!

You should provide at least 3 letters of reference even if they are not required. You are trying to prove that you are suitable for the license. Praise from others will only help your quest.

UPDATE:
I waited a total of 6 months in Medford when I finally gave up on leaving messages and sending letters to the licensing officer. I wrote a letter to my state reps and sent it in the mail on Monday (3/12), got an email from a staffer from my state senator on Wednesday (3/14), he pestered the Medford Chief of Police on my behalf, who then emailed me to apologize Wednesday afternoon, I got a call from the licensing officer on Thursday (3/15) and met with him that same day. He was very nice and apologetic. Both he and the Chief said they are under staffed and way behind. The licensing officer took me through the process and said he would send it out the following day. Provided everything checks out on my application he said I should get my LTC unrestricted in about a month via mail.

I thought another update was prudent now that I actually got my LTC A no restrictions in the mail yesterday. I believe I may have done more waiting than most would believe, and the fact is that I only got results when I (respectfully) contacted the Chief and my state senator, a Democrat. Senator Jehlen's office helped by keeping in touch with me and making calls for me. My total process from the day I turned in my application to the police department was about 8 1/2 excruciating months. I don't know if my town is red because they don't give out ALP licenses or because it's just a major pain in the ass, but I have it now and can finally move on.

My advice: Wait just a tad more than the time they told you and begin making contact in writing. Be patient and let them know you are patient, but if it's taking too long a little noise can go a long way. Maybe if there are a lot of people making a little noise, it will be loud enough to make some change to the ridiculous process. Lying at any time to police is a big no-no though and it is vital to stay respectful.

Mail gets lost and in my house mail isnt taken care of to well, sometimes bunch up and thrown places... so its not a lie...

Im standing by what i said, and maybe i worded it wrong, but i dont consider give a pd a reason such as lost mail for why they should tell you the truth about when they send out a permit is just.

3 months 2 weeks 1 day as of today. Just got off the phone with the LO and he said 30 names just came in for approval, but my name was not in.

That it should be in soon. I also asked if he had any idea as to why it might be taking this long all he said was there might have been something wrong with the finger prints or what not.

I'm gonna go broke having to rent firearms every time I wanna shoot. Anybody Near Brockton, Ma willing to take me shooting in return for ammo and lunch and Beer?

11 weeks and counting since my wife applied. Very odd since the longest I've had to wait was 5 weeks. Got my renewal in 3 weeks a couple years ago. Either my PD has changed their procedure or something's awry in Chelsea. I'd put money on the latter.

3/19 Dropped off application at PD
3/26 Called to make appointment for interview - LO was not in that day, was told to call back the next day
3/27 Called to make appointment for interview, and scheduled appointment for later that week (yes, he put me in the same week)
3/29 or 3/30 Fingerprinted, picture taken, new typed form was reviewed and signed (I don't remember exactly which day - I think it was Thursday)
5/24 Called local LO, was told app was delivered to FRB on May 9th
5/30 LO left voicemail on home phone that license was ready for pickup
5/31 Stopped on the way to work and received license, LTC-A no restrictions

LenS does have a very good thread on the procedure that helped me understand why I was waiting so long (sorry to the people who have been waiting longer. I think the problem with licensing is on two fronts. One, with all of the information that the local licensing authority has to verify with the state, and two, the FRB print times which seem to be behind by a couple of weeks. All of this, along with the influx of more people applying for licenses because of our favorite shows on Discovery and History, as well as increased crime in a weak economy, and the scare factor of having a liberal president make for more of a burden on local police departments. I do not blame the FRB or the police departments for the wait, but rather the law(s) that created this mess.

On a very positive note, my LO basically showed me around the PD and explained procedure and answered all questions I had that were just curiosity of police procedure, etc. The Northborough PD is a very nice facility so I am happy to see that my tax dollars are being spent well. All in all it was a very positive experience for a LTC, but I would have rather not been required to have the permit in the first place before I am able to purchase a firearm.

Don't forget to vote in November.

I went in today, they got me fingerprinted and in the computer. I scheduled a Moon Island date in late August and was told to expect something in the mail a couple of weeks after that. It was pretty quick and everyone that I dealt with was very helpful.

This is absolutely ridiculous...I went to the Police Station and filled out the entire application with the Licensing Detective that handles the LTC's for my North Shore city on February 13th. Fingerprints, photo, and 100 dollar check paid. Even had references of cops who work at that Department! This is a Class "A" Renewal with no restrictions. That was Feb 13th...its June!!! Absolutely no call back from any of my 3 messages I've left a month apart. Total violation of rights and misuse of state employees who's salaries I pay for! I'm coming up on 4 months!!! License expired so had to give ALL my firearms to a friend to hold until I get it back. Love Massachusetts after living in New Hampshire for 5 years. This state sucks so bad it makes me sick. NH would have it back the same week... not an exaggeration. When I finally get it back and its good for 6 years, I will apply for a new one after 5 years just to give this pathetic state a whole year to process what should take a week tops with todays computers and resources...this is 2012 last time I checked. Our founding fathers would be very disappointed in this state that wants to rob you of one of the amendments so important it made it on the bill of rights...

This is absolutely ridiculous...I went to the Police Station and filled out the entire application with the Licensing Detective that handles the LTC's for my North Shore city on February 13th. Fingerprints, photo, and 100 dollar check paid. Even had references of cops who work at that Department! This is a Class "A" Renewal with no restrictions. That was Feb 13th...its June!!! Absolutely no call back from any of my 3 messages I've left a month apart. Total violation of rights and misuse of state employees who's salaries I pay for! I'm coming up on 4 months!!! License expired so had to give ALL my firearms to a friend to hold until I get it back. Love Massachusetts after living in New Hampshire for 5 years. This state sucks so bad it makes me sick. NH would have it back the same week... not an exaggeration. When I finally get it back and its good for 6 years, I will apply for a new one after 5 years just to give this pathetic state a whole year to process what should take a week tops with todays computers and resources...this is 2012 last time I checked. Our founding fathers would be very disappointed in this state that wants to rob you of one of the amendments so important it made it on the bill of rights...

I feel your pain. Nov. 9th 2011 my application went in and June is here. Still nothing

11 weeks and counting since my wife applied. Very odd since the longest I've had to wait was 5 weeks. Got my renewal in 3 weeks a couple years ago. Either my PD has changed their procedure or something's awry in Chelsea. I'd put money on the latter.
My wife got the call that it was in on Thursday!

Just got a message from Lakeville PD that my LTC is in. Of course I left Friday for two weeks in FL and I don't Know if there are any restrictions, but 7 weeks exactly and great people at the Lakeville PD as well.

Marlboro LTC renewal

1/31 - Left Message for licensing officer.
2/1 - got call back; per licensing officer, call him in first week of April. (birthday is first week in May)
3/20 - got letter from CJSB that my LTC was going to expire soon.
3/21 - called licensing officer and set up appointment to reapply.
3/26 - submitted application with $100 check. Licensing officer refused to sign anything stating that I'd applied; said all I had to do was apply and the extension was good for 90 days. Also warned me that the state was running 5-6 weeks and it might take longer.
5/6 - LTC expired.
6/1 - call from Licensing officer - LTC is in. 60 days; 9+ weeks.

Marlboro LTC renewal

1/31 - Left Message for licensing officer.
2/1 - got call back; per licensing officer, call him in first week of April. (birthday is first week in May)
3/20 - got letter from CJSB that my LTC was going to expire soon.
3/21 - called licensing officer and set up appointment to reapply.
3/26 - submitted application with $100 check. Licensing officer refused to sign anything stating that I'd applied; said all I had to do was apply and the extension was good for 90 days. Also warned me that the state was running 5-6 weeks and it might take longer.
5/6 - LTC expired.
6/1 - call from Licensing officer - LTC is in. 60 days; 9+ weeks.

This is exactly what I would expect. And NO, simply applying w/o having proof will not cover you legally until you get into a courtroom and subpoena the LO in to testify under oath! Nobody could check your legality out by the side of the road either.

Really NOT a good situation at all. In >35 yrs of holding a LTC plus almost as many years for my Wife, I was only given a "receipt" once (and that was ~20 years ago). GOAL has tried to correct this with legislation, but it won't pass anytime soon.

This is exactly what I would expect. And NO, simply applying w/o having proof will not cover you legally until you get into a courtroom and subpoena the LO in to testify under oath! Nobody could check your legality out by the side of the road either.

Really NOT a good situation at all. In >35 yrs of holding a LTC plus almost as many years for my Wife, I was only given a "receipt" once (and that was ~20 years ago). GOAL has tried to correct this with legislation, but it won't pass anytime soon.

Under MGL Ch. 140 sec. 131, an expired LTC is only a civil offense. However as Len S. and Terraformer expertly point out, recent case law as well as real world practices may place the firearms licensee in peril of incarceration. So renew early!

Last edited:
Jesse, I didn't say anyone would be arrested (although it wouldn't surprise me), but if they can't prove you are legal I could foresee legal problems that would lead to court . . . maybe to get out of a fine, maybe to recover whatever they confiscated . . . Not every officer is proficient in MA gun law, to say the least. And arrests are made for non-crimes fairly often . . . we don't usually hear about them unless they lose a lawsuit after the fact and just as many here are scared of standing up for their rights, I suspect most don't sue for fear of repercussions.

Len, expired LTC is only a civil offense.

Note the interplay of the statutes defining large capacity guns and mags (§131, §131M, etc), §131(m) --the civil penalty override of 269 §10-- and Comm v Clint Cornelius 78 Mass. App. Ct. 413 (2010).

Anyone who has ANY large capacity anything (even if you have no hi-cap mags) is not covered under any of the exemptions throughout all of the firearm statutes. The court of appeals basically said that large capacity firearms/rifles and shotguns are NOT rifles, shotguns and firearms for the purposes of anything in the MGLs. In other words, they are not subsets of those things but things unto themselves and unless they are specifically called out in the statutes as part of the exemption, they are not covered.

Yes, it's an abomination and Mr. Cornelius spent a year in jail and is a lifetime felon because of this horse shit.

Last edited:
Dear god! That's a terrible precedent to set...

So when my LTC expires I shouldn't leave after filing my renewal without proof of it. Would a letter with the issuing authority's name, signature and number be enough?
If so I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get.

Dear god! That's a terrible precedent to set...

So when my LTC expires I shouldn't leave after filing my renewal without proof of it. Would a letter with the issuing authority's name, signature and number be enough?
If so I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get.

The 90 day window ins't effected by the above (it's worded positively to extend the life of the LTC so long as you file the renewal prior to LTC expiration), but if your license is expired longer than that, which a lot have this happen to them, then there are problems.

Called on 5/11/12 got an appt for 5/12/12, since the licensing officer for Southbridge ( green town) was working an extra day. Usually they are done on Wed and Thurs nights. Now the wait begins for the renewal.
He said they been taking about 2 weeks to come back. See what happens.

Exactly 3 weeks to get my renewal picked up my LTC on June 2.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

The 90 day window ins't effected by the above (it's worded positively to extend the life of the LTC so long as you file the renewal prior to LTC expiration), but if your license is expired longer than that, which a lot have this happen to them, then there are problems.
WTH? This entire thing is stupid.
I don't see anywhere in the Second Amendment where it says anything about licensing, background checks, processes, suitability....
I do see "shall not be infringed" which looks to be happening with all this "process". I don't blame the police or the state employees for doing their jobs, but what I see here is we should be able to walk into a store and buy a gun no questions asked.

WTH? This entire thing is stupid.
I don't see anywhere in the Second Amendment where it says anything about licensing, background checks, processes, suitability....
I do see "shall not be infringed" which looks to be happening with all this "process". I don't blame the police or the state employees for doing their jobs, but what I see here is we should be able to walk into a store and buy a gun no questions asked.

And MA Gov't official position is that "the Second Amendment does not exist in MA". They simply do NOT recognize it at all and have made it clear until they get a slap-down DIRECTLY from the USSC, they will not change their ways or thinking. [thinking] [shocked]

Back
Top Bottom