How is AR lower engraving done?

Anyone have any idea? I can't seem to find details on the web.

Is it a specialized engraving machine? CNC? laser or tiny carbide bit?

Is the lower sprayed with some kind of finish after? I ask because I would think that after routing a few hundredths deep into an aluminum lower the color would be the natural silver of the metal, yet all that I have seen are black.

It could definitely be laser engraving. At my old job, we had a laser cutting table from Epilog (www.epiloglaser.com), and we were able to take parts that had been anodized and burn away the coloring (we usually used black anodized parts) to leave the oxide layer below (which was usually white or off-white). Because the oxide layer was left behind, the part was still protected from rusting.

I made a sweet control panel for my nephew for launching model rockets.[smile]

It could definitely be laser engraving. At my old job, we had a laser cutting table from Epilog (www.epiloglaser.com), and we were able to take parts that had been anodized and burn away the coloring (we usually used black anodized parts) to leave the oxide layer below (which was usually white or off-white). Because the oxide layer was left behind, the part was still protected from rusting.

I made a sweet control panel for my nephew for launching model rockets.[smile]

Wow, I never thought the anodizing penetrated that deep.

It can be done all the ways you stated in your post, however laser is the most common way now. The laser engraver is a CNC machine with a laser for a tool.

Back
Top Bottom