How has your collection changed since you started?

Hey guys,

I was wondering how all of your collections have changed since you first started collecting firearms.

When I started I was only interested in semi auto handguns. I thought that revolvers were dumb and I couldn't see any reason for long-guns. I also had an affinity for Glocks(I had five at one point - hence the handle) but I have since realized that you own one Glock, you own them all..

I have also come to respect and admire the classic look of revolvers. I currently own two including the vernarable Colt Python and I am researching as we speak which J-frame I will buy for a carry gun.

I have also now come to really enjoy shooting and collecting long guns, specificly Mil Surp rifles.

So please tell me a little about how you have changed in your collecting.

Thanks
GG

I also am getting hooked on the 1911s...

and I can see myself wanting to get into revolvers next. But the older S&Ws... the classics, in the magnum calibers. I just don;t think they make revolvers like they did 20 and 30 years ago.

you can only own and shoot so many polymer semi-autos....

I started with rifles, then shotguns before going on to Ruger Single Action guns. Then it was a bunch of ccw, and right now I'm rolling on S&W revolvers and just starting to shoot 44 Magnums.

hmmm....first I wanted anything that came along.

Then came the list of the 14 guns I wanted to have to feel "complete."

Then came the driving need for a 1911

Now it's just me and my Liberty Training Rifle 10/22 interspersed with whatever
.45 I can scrounge and afford.

It has gotten bigger [wink]

Everything has gotten progressively WAY more expensive.

The above quotes pretty much sum it up. My interests haven't changed much, mostly because I like pretty much everything. But I will say now that my safe is less roomy I am less likely to overpay for something. When I started, if I found a gun I wanted I would pay whatever the seller asked. Now I am more frugal and figure I will eventually find what I want at a fair price, and if not I'll live without it.

Have moved away from Uberti SAA and Rugers and moved to Colts. Selecting Colt DA revolvers when at a good price. And getting away from Striker type Pistols and moving toward Sig's and back to 1911's.

I started with handguns, mostly revolvers, and then branched out into the semi automatics. I always had one or two rimfire rifles. A few years ago I was spending a lot of time on the Rimfire Central forum and became mildly addicted to Mossberg rimfires, so I have quite a few of those.

Along the way I inherited several handguns from my Father and Brother when they passed away. Those guns hold great sentimental value for me and will be passed on to my children. They will literally leave my cold, dead fingers.

My bank account has been drained lately by milsurps and ebr's, thanks to the fine folks on this forum. [smile]

I have only two shotguns. I try to limit my addictions to one or two at a time, so I don't think I'll be in the market for any shotguns....yet! [laugh]

I initially wanted a carry gun. Bought one and thought....ok how about a target rifle. And that was my downfall, or rather the start of my love. The buying fest continued until I had a little bit of everything. Long, short, big, small, powerful, wimpy.

One day I took a step back and thought, I need more.

Now I'm at the point where I only buy what tickles my fancy. I've always been a deal hunter. The fun is in the chase.

When I started, I didn't have any and now I have a few [wink]. I've looked at my purchases and decided I lean towards Russian variants mostly (probably because of their simple structure)

first i wanted some semi-auto pistols 'cause my dad has revolvers and they didn't seem as "cool and different" but honestly i just want one of each kind of style. My first handgun was a Ruger 22/45 and then a Ruger P345 which i like for the DA/SA option. I've had a .22 rifle for a while and my first hunting gun was a 7mm Rem. Mag. My first EBR was a S&W MP15FT and here's a list of guns i hope to own in the future:

Springfield .308
DA/SA 9mm
striker fired 9mm
.357 revolver
SA revolver
lever action rifle
Remington 870 shotgun
stagecoach DB shotgun
musket - something really old but still functional that i could hunt with
WWII rifle of some kind
WWII pistol of some kind

I'm sure that cruising this forum will give me many more ideas!

Last edited:
Started with a 1911. Then went "high-tech" with Glocks, Berettas, and just about every other wondernine (or forty). Even with the 1911s I still had, I was modifying the hell out of them just to bring them up to whatever was trendy at that time.

Now I own "old-fashion" revolvers, older Ruger 22s, and of course, 1911s. Only the 1911s are now kept as close as possible to John Browning's original design. No more tricks, FLGRs, or any of that.

The biggest difference between "then" and now is now my purchases are a lot more methodical/planned rather than impulse based.... It used to be "oh I like this im buying it. " Problem is I'd always forget "oh wait, theres another half of the equation that I didn't take into account, like budgeting for trigger jobs, accessories, optics, etc, etc.... Then I had all these guns around, that were in some way, incomplete.

Next gun is likely to be an S+W .44 magnum of some sort, but tis all a long way off... I still have mods I want to do to my AR and some other crap
to take care of before I can even think about getting another gun. [laugh]

-Mike

At first I thought I needed 4 AK's,a bunch of AR's and basically anything that goes bang.In the past 3 years I have sold a bunch of stuff and I am left with the bare essentials.3/4 of the weapons I used to have I only fired once or twice.

I don't have any duplicate AR's and AK's anymore and I am more than happy with my small "collection".

The last rifle I bought was one that I had been wanting to purchase for over a year,and will more than likely be the last rifle I ever buy.In the past 3 years I have bought one rifle and one handgun and a bunch of ammo.

More expensive...not because of cost rising, as whether price rises or not, my taste just lends itself to more expensive guns - I drink champagne with my guns now!![smile]

Being a left handed rifle shooter I was limited to 3 maybe 4 rifle calibers when I started to shoot so when the Ruger # 1 came out I was in my glory. Now I shoot right handed bolts left handed without much fuss. Was accused of being 100 yrs behind the times by guys at my club so I purchased an AR 15,but I still love my single shots. Have 3 45/70s and a 40/65 that I had rebarreled from a Browning 1885 in 45/70. Pistols and revolvers I've owned Colt,Ruger,Sig,AMT,Walther and S&W. Right now only there are 3 pistol I wish I could own a Luger(9mm) Webley Fosberry and a Broomhandle Mauser in 45 acp but alas these pistol are out of my price range.

I went from a SW19 to a Dan Wesson for combat & Silhouette shoots to pocket guns for carry, to a couple of Glocks. Inherited dad's collection, got an AR.

Have two .45's but now itching for a M1911

no $$$

When I first started buying guns around 19, to add to what my dad had gotten me, I thought that if you couldn't use it to hunt it wasn't worth having. I am 27 now, and I have since strayed from that, as I no longer hunt. I was almost shot in the woods, and have yet to return. I now buy guns that either have a sporting purpose, such as shotguns for clays and rifles for distance shooting, or that I can collect or modify to make my own. I recently bought a Mosin Nagant that I intend to sporterize lightly, sorry die-hard purists. I am also saving for a 1911, as I have wanted one for as long as I can remember, and after a year can almost afford one! I will be building one of my ruger mk1's after the Mosin and 1911, as I want an aftermarket receiver/barrel and internals.

When I first started collecting 40 years ago, there wasn't much to buy. S&W blued and pinned revolvers and Colt 1911's were basically all that were really available back then along with a lot of WWII guns.

When you buy guns choose carefully. Plastic guns are the wave of the future and will always be around.

But the old guns that were hand fitted and have the beautiful bluing are not only going to give you years of fun but are also going to come in handy some day when you retire and want some extra cash.

It's amazing how much those S&W revolvers and Colts are worth now and they keep going up in value. I can't even guess what they will be worth 30 years from now.

When I got my permit, I bought a Ruger Mark III because everyone should have one IMHO. I then got a carry gun because that was why I got my permit in the first place. It was a glock. I then bought a couple glocks because I liked the grip on them. Then I bought a few 1911s because I felt it was another gun eeryone should own. I then got my AR and AK becuase I just felt like I needed something evil. Now I am just sorta not buying much except ammo when I can get it. I had the milsurp bug briefly but I just seemed to lose interest in them.

I have been buying up older S&W Revolvers. It wasnt really planned out, but several "cant pass up" deals have come my way over the past two months.

I recently purchased a mint condition 1977 29-2 .44 Mag with 6.5" barrel. Box, Papers, History, etc. Bluing is incredible. I purchased it from a friend of mine (the original owner). This one was a divorce sale. $400 cash.

Next was a 1970 27-2 .357 Mag. 6". Blued. Mint. Not a scratch and hardly shot. Purchased from a guy who bought brand new in the Navy from the Navel Exchange in NJ. He lost his license to own firearms. I purchased for $350. (I actually feel guilty).

My most recent is a 1982 629-2 .44 Mag. 6" stainless. I purchased it from a co-worker (the original owner). He purchased it new in the Navy while stationed in Alaska. Only had one box shot through it. I gave him $400 for it yesterday. He sold it to fund a fishing trip up north. Whatever.

So my collection has definately taken a different turn towards these revolvers. As someone else mentioned. Poly and Tactical guns are nice. I have a few. But there is just something about an older S&W or Colt Revolver in your hand [grin]

Sean

When I first got my license all I was interested in were pistols, then I got my first 686 and I loved it...I still like semi-autos, but I love revolvers. Then someone said "Why don't you try shooting high power with us" and now I'm poor. I have come to accept the fact I just like to shoot...A LOT...and I find myself getting more into rifles (but I still love shooting my handguns). I probably have more guns than I need but, I still want more.

Back
Top Bottom