How far would you go to protect your dog?

I've got two dogs and they're as close me as any other family member. If someone was trying to hurt them I believe I would do what ever necessary to protect them. What do you think your reaction would be if an intruder was trying to hurt or kill your dog?

Don't try it outside your home. Remember dogs are property in MA. That defense isn't going to hold water.

If someone steps foot in your house, that's a differ story.

f my dog shits in my kitchen again, I'd pay someone to shoot my dog.. Kidding she' quickly becoming my best friend, but the puppy crap has got to stop

I've got two dogs and they're as close me as any other family member. If someone was trying to hurt them I believe I would do what ever necessary to protect them. What do you think your reaction would be if an intruder was trying to hurt or kill your dog?

My reaction would be severe. However, my dog is a tool, and will be expected to give its life in defense of my home. While my cat watches, quietly judging.

Don't try it outside your home. Remember dogs are property in MA. That defense isn't going to hold water.

If someone steps foot in your house, that's a differ story.

Though remember, there has to reasonable belief of death or serious bodily injury to a human being.

In and of itself, the fear that someone may kill your dog has no more legal significance than someone pointing a gun at a lamp. This would be particulaly important if your dog is a chihauhua or you're talking about a cat because you would have to argue the threat of hurting your pet was an act by the intruder in an attempt to remove a roadblock to shooting YOU or your family. Unfortunately, you simply can rest your legal argument on it's laurels simply because the man was in the four walls of your home.

As for my lab and two cats, well, let's just say I don't know that I'd take it lying down...

photo.jpg

He's like his dad and likes doughnuts...

All internet BS aside, I realize that protecting the life of a pet is not legally grounds for lethal force (inside or outside the home)
However, I love my pets and would risk my life and my freedom to protect them. If someone killed them, I would probably not kill them in retaliation, but If someone were trying to kill them, I would kill them before I let them kill my pets. Screw the fallout afterwards. NOBODY hurts my family while I am still drawing breath. That is the hill I choose to die on.

Out where I've been exiled to, we've lost a few people over this winter to screwing around on the beaches and rivers. Most of them being dumb. One of them was a guy that waded in after his dog got caught by a wave. Never got to the 'that was dumb' point when we were sitting around talking about it at the station. We all agreed we'd have done the same for our own dogs. (We also agreed we'd hope we had the presence of mind to call the station and tell them to at least launch the damned ready boat to back us up BEFORE we tried to kill ourselves for our dog, but who knows...)

My neighbor poisoned my 6 year old German Shepard just to get to me. I was so angry I was dead calm and I can tell you that when that happens you realize that if you don't keep it under control somebody is going to get hurt and someone is going to jail. I did handle the situation but when you have a family that depends on you, ya just can't loose your cool. Trust me when I tell you their are a lot of ways to skin a cat. That is the only time in my life I have been so angry I was dead calm, I was actually afraid of me. You have to know when to keep your cool, opertunity will present itself

If someone was trying to kill my purebred GSD, I would clearly articulate that I thought a member if my family was next. My actions based on that conclusion are HSLD Internet Top Secret Classified.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

i would tie them up and feed them to my dog, before i kill them. prob start with the fingers and toes, things they wont bleed out with quickly. then maybe just let the dog chew on them.

This ^. Don't **** with my family.

The dog has it covered dear.

163398036_photobucket_51633_.jpg

My neighbor poisoned my 6 year old German Shepard just to get to me. I was so angry I was dead calm and I can tell you that when that happens you realize that if you don't keep it under control somebody is going to get hurt and someone is going to jail. I did handle the situation but when you have a family that depends on you, ya just can't loose your cool. Trust me when I tell you their are a lot of ways to skin a cat. That is the only time in my life I have been so angry I was dead calm, I was actually afraid of me. You have to know when to keep your cool, opertunity will present itself

Please tell me this POS went to jail for this.....

Though remember, there has to reasonable belief of death or serious bodily injury to a human being.

In and of itself, the fear that someone may kill your dog has no more legal significance than someone pointing a gun at a lamp. This would be particulaly important if your dog is a chihauhua or you're talking about a cat because you would have to argue the threat of hurting your pet was an act by the intruder in an attempt to remove a roadblock to shooting YOU or your family. Unfortunately, you simply can rest your legal argument on it's laurels simply because the man was in the four walls of your home.

Well here in NH I don't need the reasonable belief that death or bodily injury will occur the breaking and entering is enough reason. Someone breaks in my house the dog is the alarm system, and buys me enough time to grab to put my slippers on and grab the pistol of my choice. None of this has to do with me protecting my dog though.

How far would you go to protect your dog?
Not nearly as far as I would go to protect my child. I've had dogs most of my life, and yes they become part of the family, but they are still just dogs. The bond between my child and I far surpasses any other. The main difference is I would go to no ends to protect my child (including giving my life). I would be willing to protect my pet, but I'm not willing to loose my my life over a pet. I know many here feel differently, but the pet is not the same level as my human family.

I think a strong case could be made that a home invader who is willing to injure or kill a pet is also a grave physical threat to humans. I say neutralize the threat and let the lawyers figure out the rest. I think a more interesting question is what if it happened in public.

Really sorry to hear that. I'm very interested to know how that situation turned out, if you don't mind sharing.

Back
Top Bottom