House votes to knock $60 off gun license fee

Is this a April fools joke?

by The Republican Newsroom
Tuesday July 29, 2008, 10:26 PM
By DAN RING
[email protected]

BOSTON - The state House of Representatives today killed a disputed proposal by the governor to raise license fees for guns - and then voted to dramatically lower the existing fee.

With formal legislative sessions set to end at midnight Thursday for this year, the Massachusetts Senate voted to approve $1.7 billion environmental bond bill that includes money to improve the grounds of the Three County Fair in Northampton and to prepare the old Belchertown State School for redevelopment. The bond bill was approved in the House last week.

The Senate, aiming to boost participation in elections, also voted 33-5 to approve a bill to allow voters in general and state elections to register to vote on Election Day itself. The bill would allow people to register as little as 14 days in advance, down from the current 20 days, or on the day of the election. The election bill was sent to the House, where it's fate is unclear.

In a surprise move, the House voted 94-57 to lower the fee for a firearms license from $100 to $40.

The proposed $40 fee was approved as part of a more comprehensive bill filed by Gov. Deval L. Patrick. The bill calls for raising money to help finance the state's near universal health care law.

When Patrick filed the bill on July 13, he proposed to increase the fee for a six-year firearms license from $100 to $200, establish a new annual $100 license inspection fee for gun dealers and hike the fee for someone from another state to carry a firearm in Massachusetts from $100 to $250. Patrick was seeking to raise money for state services.

House leaders stripped out the governor's proposed fee increases before the bill reached the floor for a vote.

Sen. Stephen M. Brewer, D-Barre, said legislators sent a message to the governor.

"That ought to teach Governor Patrick to ask for a gun license increase," Brewer said. "Bring in an increase and we lower it."

Brewer said he would support the proposal to lower the fee, but he didn't know how it would fare in the Senate.

Rep. Donald F. Humason Jr., R-Westfield, said he was pleased by the House tally to lower the fee.

"It's the right thing to do," said Humason, who cosponsored the proposal to cut the fee. "We're talking about a constitutionally-guaranteed freedom to keep and bear arms."

Another thought on this....

The legislature is taking to task the Governor because they are scared to s*it that we are about to start to overturn the laws in this state. And they think we are going to pull a Heller on them... Well, this is not a placation and I am still on the lookout to tar and feather...

This is ONLY the beginning!

where it will promptly be used as toilet paper

They probably won't trash it completely, since it's part of a late-term budget bill that I bet really needs to pass. But the Senate could re-amend it and send it back to the house.

I'm hoping they'll just pass it because it's the last two days of session and they've got a ton of actual real work to do, but... we'll see.

I just wrote a check for my girls to get their first LTCs. If I thought it would hapeen in the next week or 2, I'd delay everything to save the $120.

Last edited:
The legislature is taking to task the Governor because they are scared to s*it that we are about to start to overturn the laws in this state. And they think we are going to pull a Heller on them... Well, this is not a placation and I am still on the lookout to tar and feather...

This is ONLY the beginning!

I think this is fallout from two things - the upcoming referendum on the income tax in MA - and the Heller decision.

The Heller decision potentially opens up MA to lawsuits for charging for a Constitutional freedom - and the politicians will be stuck with a HUGE problem if the anti state income question passes.

Keep ratcheting up the pressure on these jokers - it looks like it actually works.

I see that there is no proposed reduction for non-resident licenses. [angry]

Not true. The same amendment increased the non-resident license to six years. From GOAL:
When the bill came to the floor for a vote, Rep. George Peterson filed an amendment to lower FID card and LTC fees to $40.00 and extend non-resident licenses to $100 for six years. We are happy to announce to our members that the amendment passed by nearly 40 votes! (GOAL will post the corrected roll call when it is available.) The bill will head to the Senate tomorrow, Wednesday, July 30, 2008. GOAL is urging all of our members to contact their local Senators and urge them to support the reduction in license fees.

http://www.goal.org/news/LegisUpdate.htm

Back
Top Bottom