• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

House Review of S2284 (formerly SB 2265)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I don't see the need for this. OK, some FFLs are cautious/dumb/illiterate but as of right now I have had no issues with 01s selling/xfering C&R eligible to me on my 03 with no paperwork other than a bill of sale. I then do the (E)FA10 as required.

Actually I would change the "dumb/illiterate" to "cautious/obey the law" the law is if a firearm is not on the list or if older than 1998, i.e. C&R guns, a 01FFL cannot legally transfer it to a Mass resident. Many break the law and many have been fined for it. This simply covers those who don't want to break the law, simple as that.

If you have an 01 dealer who will sell you anything, they good for you. It is their license that is on the line not yours.

C&R provision is still effective date 2021. Here is the response from Timilty's office, basically in order to get the provision in the law it had to be put off for 6 years, they said there are too many legislators who feel it will put more guns on the street
YUP the gang bangers are clamoring for S&W top-break revolvers in .32 Smith and Wesson they would rather have then than a Glock

You laugh, but thats exactly the kind of gun the BPD has been seizing lately.
https://twitter.com/bostonpolice/status/495241664563535873/photo/1

Why is it that gangbangers always put electrical tape or duct tape on the grips of their guns? [laugh]

Probably cause the screw or whatever is missing and I don't think a "thug lyfe" type is going to be phoning up Numrich or Brownells anytime soon. [rofl]

-Mike

All I could find so far:

Speaker Bob DeLeo ‏@SpeakerDeLeo 1h Today @MassGovernor signs #gunsense legislation pic.twitter.com/0zENnfYQ15

Bu7TeaIIMAAz4hv.jpg

The State Legislators who are against the C&R are to my understanding saying that currently there are a limited number of used guns that are available in Mass, and with the C&R more guns could legally come into Mass [shocked]

They want there to eventually be nothing that can legally be sold here

“Our communities and our families are safer when irresponsible gun sales and use are reduced,” Patrick said. “This legislation moves us in that direction.”
Anyone who doubts the intended end game should pay careful attention.

So is this law effective immediately or is there a future date set for it to go into effect? I spent the past hour searching the governors page, the state legislature page, goal and various news sites and couldn't find an "effective" date.

Thanks for the feedback.

So is this law effective immediately or is there a future date set for it to go into effect? I spent the past hour searching the governors page, the state legislature page, goal and various news sites and couldn't find an "effective" date.

Thanks for the feedback.

This.
Everyone has had a thousand different opinions and interpretations on this (in Massachusetts? Shocking.)...

There MUST be someone on here who is much more familiar with the process who can tell us the actual "whens" on this. No "guessing" or "I think/I'm pretty sure/Probably".. Etc etc cuz that just confused everyone initially on this whole thing.

Anyone know with 100% certainty when all this toilet paper actually starts to be law?

Thanks for the feedback.

The bill itself lists the dates. Some sections take effect immediately, others go out as far as 2021.

Until we see the final, final, final copy that was signed into law, all we can do is guess. Some parts take effect today, some 1/1/15 and some not until 2021. There were some "technical corrections" made after the bill passed as well and I don't think any of those are on any website with public access. Merging the wording into the current law, etc. will also take time and it's only then that we can figure out where we stand and when things change.

It'll take time for the PDs to learn about the changes and react to them. Also FRB/EOPS must make some significant changes to their database, user interfaces, etc. and that will take time.

So, we now have legal recourse for the denials for people. Which means that, in THEORY, we no longer need to label towns in colors (which is great, because I'm colorblind). As it removes a Class B, it should also remove any restrictions-or, if it doesnt specifically spell that out-that can be argued. I really like that any denials (and, I'm assuming, restrictions) have to go before a judge to show reason why. Granted, there will be test cases, but I see this working for us, rather than against us. As to the may issue FID? I'm waiting for the first denial, without evidence (or even with, that shows nothing untoward), then a federal case coming out of it. 46 states moved forward regarding 2A rights. Or, remained as they are. We werent one of them.

So, we now have legal recourse for the denials for people. Which means that, in THEORY, we no longer need to label towns in colors (which is great, because I'm colorblind). As it removes a Class B, it should also remove any restrictions-or, if it doesnt specifically spell that out-that can be argued. I really like that any denials (and, I'm assuming, restrictions) have to go before a judge to show reason why. Granted, there will be test cases, but I see this working for us, rather than against us. As to the may issue FID? I'm waiting for the first denial, without evidence (or even with, that shows nothing untoward), then a federal case coming out of it. 46 states moved forward regarding 2A rights. Or, remained as they are. We werent one of them.

I would be curious to know how long it would take for an appeal to be heard. How much would it cost , and if there is an appeal if it is upheld.
It would be something if the system was just flooded with appeals.
I wonder also if someone like Goal or Comm2A could set up a legal fund supported by donations to help with costs.

Last edited:
“Our communities and our families are safer when legal gun sales and use are reduced,” Patrick said. “This legislation moves us towards disarming all law abiding citizens.”

Fixed it to what he was really thinking.

http://www.masslive.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/08/gov_deval_patrick_signs_gun_bi.html

Although the state's main pro-gun rights lobby, the Gun Owners Action League, ultimately supported the bill, Wednesday's signing ceremony was dominated by gun control advocates. John Rosenthal, the founder of the group Stop Handgun Violence and one of the state's most vocal advocates for gun control, spoke during the ceremony. Many in the audience wore stickers reading "stop gun violence."

Molly Malloy, a Boston resident from the pro-gun control group Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense, said before the ceremony that the bill includes common sense provisions "that keep guns out of dangerous hands while still respecting Second Amendment rights."

Jim Wallace, executive director of GOAL, reached by phone after the signing, said he was on vacation, but his group had not received an invitation.

"I found out he was going to sign the bill this morning," Wallace said. "I thought it was kind of interesting with all the work we did on it that we didn't get an invitation, but that goes along with how the governor's treated us since he's been in office."

GOAL was involved in shaping provisions of the bill that established new crimes related to gun trafficking and set up a criminal firearms trafficking division of the state police.

Terrel Harris, a spokesman for the Massachusetts Executive Office of Public Safety and Security, apologized for the "oversight" of not inviting GOAL. "GOAL was an important partner in crafting the gun safety legislation that Governor Patrick signed today," Harris said in an email. "We have spoken directly with GOAL Executive Director Jim Wallace to apologize for the oversight of not including them in today's program. The Executive Office of Public Safety and Security looks forward to continuing to work with GOAL as we implement the new law."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom