House Passes Rules Easing D.C. Gun Restriction

Garys

NES Member
It's for the Children!

"What do we say to the children when we're giving up in a fight that's for them," he asked. "We're supposed to fight this to the end."

[puke]

Bill allows semi-automatics with limited rounds in D.C

If it passes, I guess it's progress of a sort.

Council member Tommy Wells, Ward 6 Democrat, said he is undecided and that he has concerns about the Second Amendment, which addresses the right to own a gun.

I have concerns about elected officials who have concerns about the Second Amendment.

"It's an antiquated part of the Constitution," he said. "It's about self-defense, not guns. I don't want us to be the battleground for America."

Too late on the battle ground thing, dude. Besides, what you said doesn't make any sense.

Council member Tommy Wells, Ward 6 Democrat, said he is undecided and that he has concerns about the Second Amendment, which addresses the right to own a gun.

"It's an antiquated part of the Constitution," he said. "It's about self-defense, not guns."

Well, Tommy, if you think that the 2nd Amendment is an "antiquated part of the Constitution," the Founders provided a process whereby you can propose and work to pass a new amendment that will nullify the 2nd or any other part of the document that doesn't mesh with your particular world view. Good luck with that. [rofl]

And while you're at it, Tommy, do a little reading. It's NOT about self-defense, unless the self-defense you're referring to is from an over-reaching government, such as, say, that in the District of Columbia.

I'm surprised they didn't try this...or maybe they did: "Bill allows semi-automatics with no more than 1 round magazines"

[puke]

Bill allows semi-automatics with limited rounds in D.C

If it passes, I guess it's progress of a sort.

Naw... It is a start to erode Gun rights once the first semi-automatic handgun is used in a shooting. [frown]

Because, do not forget....it is for the children!

Limits at 5 - 10 - 15 - 30 - 45???? Give it a number, but all you are doing is limiting the rights of the individual to defend themselves.

So basically what happens is large caps get banned....Can't get a 20 round 9mm, So people buy 10 round .45 ACP or .44 for more lethal results. It amazes me how these moonbats think they are making the world safer when they are in fact getting more people to buy more lethal firearms.

Last edited:
Mike Stollenwerk, co-founder of OpenCarry.org, said he is pleased that the bill would legalize semi-automatic handguns and make them easily accessible for self-defense, but does not like the cap on magazine capacity.

"It may be progress but it shouldn't have to be like this," he said. "It's just another stick in the eye to gun owners."

Not just gun owners; It's a stick in the eye of American citizens <period>

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,423962,00.html
House Passes Rules Easing D.C. Gun Restriction
Wednesday, September 17, 2008

ADVERTISEMENT
WASHINGTON —

The House moved Wednesday to compel the nation's capital to broaden the rights of its residents to buy and own firearms, including semiautomatic weapons.

Critics, led by the District of Columbia's sole delegate to Congress, decried the action. They said the vote tramples on the District's rights to govern itself and could endanger both residents and political dignitaries who so often travel across the city.

But the National Rifle Association-backed bill passed easily, 266-152, with supporters saying they were determined to give D.C. residents the same Second Amendment right of self-defense that has been available to other Americans.

Many of those speaking for the bill in debate that went well into the night Tuesday were conservative Democrats from rural districts that strongly support gun rights. Eighty-five Democrats voted for the bill.

"Number one, I'm a pro-gun Democrat," said Rep. Mike Ross, D-Ark. "Number 2, if the government of the District of Columbia can take your guns away from you in our nation's capital, Prescott, Arkansas, and many other small towns across the country could be next."

The legislation is unlikely to be taken up in the Senate in the few remaining weeks of this session, but it served both to give lawmakers a pro-gun vote shortly before the election and demonstrate the continuing political clout of the NRA.

The bill, sponsored by Mississippi freshman Democrat Travis Childers, repeals the District's semiautomatic handgun ban and overturns D.C. law requiring that firearms kept in the home be locked up and inoperable. It allows D.C. residents to purchase guns from federally licensed dealers in Maryland and Virginia and repeals what critics claimed were burdensome registration requirements.

The Supreme Court, in a 5-4 vote last June, ruled that the 32-year-old District ban on handgun possession violated Second Amendment rights to bear arms. The D.C. Council responded the next month with a temporary measure allowing possession of unloaded weapons in homes but keeping the ban on semiautomatics.

On Tuesday the council went further, voting to allow residents to own most semiautomatic pistols and removing the requirement that weapons be stored unloaded and disassembled or secured with trigger locks.

That wasn't enough for the NRA and its congressional allies, which accused the council of trying to defy the Supreme Court ruling.

"This Congress has lost faith in the willingness of the District of Columbia to defend the Second Amendment," said Rep. Mark Souder, R-Ind.

But nonvoting Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton said Congress was violating the District's home rule rights by imposing federal dictates, something it would do to no other American city. "The House has the gall to ask for a vote to nullify the gun laws in my district, depriving my district of the right to protect itself and visitors like yourselves while denying me a vote on this floor on passage. Have you no shame?"

Norton unsuccessfully tried to move a bill that would have merely given the District 180 days to come up with new regulations complying with the Supreme Court ruling. The White House opposed that approach and supported the Childers measure, saying it would "immediately advance Second Amendment principles."

"I ask Congress, leave us alone and let us do our job," D.C. Council member Carol Schwartz said Tuesday.

Eleanor Holmes Norton said:
"The House has the gall to ask for a vote to nullify the gun laws in my district, depriving my district of the right to protect itself..

Thus enabling the residents of your district to protect themselves.

Now get your butt in the kitchen and make me some pie.

Lets take a look at how our New England delegations voted:
CT: 5 Against
MA: 10 Against
ME: 2 For
NH: 2 For
RI: 2 Against
VT: 1 For

Glad to see it passed.

TFA said:
"Number one, I'm a pro-gun Democrat," said Rep. Mike Ross, D-Ark. "Number 2, if the government of the District of Columbia can take your guns away from you in our nation's capital, Prescott, Arkansas, and many other small towns across the country could be next."

TFA said:
The bill, sponsored by Mississippi freshman Democrat Travis Childers, repeals the District's semiautomatic handgun ban and overturns D.C. law requiring that firearms kept in the home be locked up and inoperable. It allows D.C. residents to purchase guns from federally licensed dealers in Maryland and Virginia and repeals what critics claimed were burdensome registration requirements.
^^^Why can't we have guys like these representing OUR state?

par for the course
Yes, quite.

Par for the course is not, however, an excuse to not write/call anyone representing you and let them know that you disapprove, WHY you disapprove, and WHAT they can do in the present/future to correct the situation.

I don't know you, and I have no idea what (if anything) efforts you've made to do so...as such, I mean no offense to you when I say that the number of people who say "par for the course" (without offering any help) and "Wohoo, I'm moving to NH!" are only serving to put more representatives in Congress who don't have a basic understanding that the Bill of Rights was intended a LIMITATION of government, and not justification to pass any law or statue which isn't protected by a narrow interpretation of an individual's rights.

Last edited:
This could get interesting.

If it comes to vote in the Senate, are McCain, Obama and Biden going to take time off the campaign trail to vote on it?

McCain?... Possibly; it would help him secure the NRAs endorsement.

Biden?... Maybe, but doubtful.

Obama?... Very doubtful; if he voted no there goes his repeated claim that he supports the second amendment. If he voted yes, it piss-off his Liberal base.

This could get interesting.

If it comes to vote in the Senate, are McCain, Obama and Biden going to take time off the campaign trail to vote on it?

McCain?... Possibly; it would help him secure the NRAs endorsement.

Biden?... Maybe, but doubtful.

Obama?... Very doubtful; if he voted no there goes his repeated claim that he supports the second amendment. If he voted yes, it piss-off his Liberal base.
Predicted votes: Yes, no, present.

Thus enabling the residents of your district to protect themselves.

Now get your butt in the kitchen and make me some pie.

Would you hit it, though? [shocked][smile]

Eleanor%20Holmes%20Norton.jpg

Feinstein is threatening to filibuster the bill... [rolleyes]

I had been wondering when she'd reappear.

Ever since the AWB rug was dragged from underneath her feet, shes been pretty quite about gun control issues.

(The Politico) The House passed a major rollback of DC gun laws on Wednesday morning, however the bill faces stiff opposition in the Senate and faces little chance of becoming law.

Lawmakers voted 260-160 to amend a bill proposed by DC Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton regarding the District's gun laws.

The amended bill included a substitute amendment by Rep. Travis W. Childers of Mississippi, expanding the rights of residents to buy and own guns, including semiautomatic weapons.

The amended bill then passed 266-152, with 82 Democrats supporting it and nine Republicans opposing it.

However, the measure is not expected to advance in the Senate..

California Democrat Dianne Feinstein told CQ that she would do everything in her power to block the legislation.

“I’d filibuster it. You bet your life I would,” Feinstein said. “I think it is the height of folly.”

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/17/politics/politico/thecrypt/main4455257.shtml

On Tuesday the council went further, voting to allow residents to own most semiautomatic pistols and removing the requirement that weapons be stored unloaded and disassembled or secured with trigger locks.

Ironic that DC residents will be able to have more guns than we can. No AWB and no AG list. And no trigger locks.

Eleanor Holmes Norton is a gigantic tool. I'm from the DC area. She's a massive complainer.

BTW, idiot, your city is a FEDERAL city, so Congress has absolute power there.

BTW, idiot, your city is a FEDERAL city, so Congress has absolute power there.

Really?

And what body do you think enacts the laws for the District of Columbia?

HINT: Think "home rule" and "representation." Ever hear any complaints about them when you were there?

Glad to see it passed.
Yes, quite.

Par for the course is not, however, an excuse to not write/call anyone representing you and let them know that you disapprove, WHY you disapprove, and WHAT they can do in the present/future to correct the situation.

I don't know you, and I have no idea what (if anything) efforts you've made to do so...as such, I mean no offense to you when I say that the number of people who say "par for the course" (without offering any help) and "Wohoo, I'm moving to NH!" are only serving to put more representatives in Congress who don't have a basic understanding that the Bill of Rights was intended a LIMITATION of government, and not justification to pass any law or statue which isn't protected by a narrow interpretation of an individual's rights.

I agree. I didn’t mean to come across as a defeatist. I only meant to point out that any one of us on this board could have predicted that MA, RI and CT would be in the “against” column. I haven’t sent a letter yet but I intend to.

Feinstein is threatening to filibuster the bill... [rolleyes]

I had been wondering when she'd reappear.

I'm hoping she does, in a perverted sort of way.

Definitely will serve to remind the idiots that keep forgetting the Liberal side of the Democrats want to ban guns. And, that does include their POTUS canidate, whether he admits it or not.

Really?

And what body do you think enacts the laws for the District of Columbia?

HINT: Think "home rule" and "representation." Ever hear any complaints about them when you were there?

Home rule is a joke when the most popular mayor in the history of the city was a confessed and convicted felon and drug addict.

Home rule is a joke when the most popular mayor in the history of the city was a confessed and convicted felon and drug addict.

Want another laugh?

He's currently on the same DC City Council that's been flouting the law and dragging their feet on the courts smack-down.

He's up for reelection this year. [rolleyes]

Back
Top Bottom