House 4517 – An Act to Allow Hunting on Sunday

Admin

Staff Member
Administrator
NES Member
One of my complaints upon moving to this state was not being able to hunt on Sundays.

http://goal.org/news/sundayhunting.htm

Public Safety Committee Hears Sunday Hunting Bill

On Tuesday, March 8, 2006 the Joint Committee on Public Safety and Homeland Security held a public hearing to take testimony on H.4517 "An Act to Allow Hunting on Sunday Within the Commonwealth". Several legislators were attendance to testify in favor of the bill. Representative Anne Gobi (the bill's sponsor), Rep. Lewis Evangelidis, Senator Stephen Brewer, Rep Mark Carron were among those testifying in favor. GOAL and a few of our members were also present to provide our support of the bill.

The bill has not yet been approved by the Committee. Senate Chair Jarrett Barrios, who had stated he fully supports the bill, informed GOAL that the Committee wants look at whether there would be any additional expense to the Commonwealth if the measure is passed. The bill has the support of the House Chair Rep. Cheryl Rivera as well.

GOAL is urging its members to contact the Committee and express their support of the legislation. Click here to get the information on the Committee members: http://www.mass.gov/legis/comm/j22.htm

H.4517 "An Act to Allow Hunting on Sunday Within the Commonwealth"

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:
SECTION 1: Section 57 of Chapter 131 of the General Laws is hereby repealed.

To track this bill online, go to: http://www.mass.gov/legis/184history/h04517.htm

Below was the report from the State House news service:
Lawmakers today pushed for support on a bill that would repeal a 400-year-old law that prevents people from hunting on Sundays. Supporters, including members of the Public Safety and Homeland Security Committee that heard the bill today, said the only time many hunters have to stalk is on the weekend. Many say they are deterred from getting a hunting license because of the “antiquated” law. “This doesn’t make any sense,” said Rep. Lewis Evangelidis (R-Holden). Sen. Stephen Brewer (D-Barre), a member of the committee, predicted the wildlife population “will explode” within the next five years if hunters opt to pursue their quarry in other states. “The average citizen works five days a week,” Brewer said. “This is an extremely logical bill.” James Wallace, executive director of the Gun Owners’ Action League, said his group supports the bill and was unsure why the ancient law had never been repealed. “To us, it’s just common sense,” Wallace said. In communities where hunting is popular, residents have traditionally planned outdoor recreation for Sundays.

Sen Brewer said it best. You only get one day of hunting if you have a job. [smile] Please contact your legislator to support this bill.

Here is how the inital voting went.

Poll Results (ONTP = Ought Not to Pass)

Chair Rivera – Favorable – in person

Rep. Christopher Donelan – Favorable – in person

Rep. Kathi-Anne Reinstein – ONTP – telephone

Rep. Ted Speliotis – Favorable – e-mail

Rep. Liz Malia – ONTP – telephone

Rep. Jeffrey Perry – Favorable – e-mail

Rep. Linda Dorcena-Forry – Favorable - telephone

Sen. Jarrett Barrios – ONTP – telephone

Sen. Stephen Brewer – Favorable - telephone

Is Sen. Jarrett Barrios a complete pussy or just a total a**h***?

derek said:
One of my complaints upon moving to this state was not being able to hunt on Sundays.

I remember when I told you that. I think you died a little when I had to break the news to you! I think you said something along the lines of. "What the F**K is wrong with this state"

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
derek said:
Is Sen. Jarrett Barrios a complete pussy or just a total a**h***?

Yes.

Like allowing the folks in Western MA to hunt on weekends is going to impact his quality of life in Cambridge. Same for my rep. Liz malia.

Why the f*** should she care?

These same people are against anti-sodomy laws, saying that it's none of the state's business. But, try to do anything with a gun - even the kind John Kerry uses - and look out. Suddenly the concept of the majority trampling on the rights and liberties of the oppressed minority mean absolute jack squat to these people.

Just your typical liberal busybodies trying to force everyone to live by their standards.

f*** them

Every single one.

Of course, their vote is merely an indicator of their true desire to ban hunting on ALL days.

Have I mentioned f*** them?

Gee, the Commonwealth's losing tax revenue from all the hunters going out-of-state to hunt (and spend money). No problem, we'll just up the fee for LTC's and FID's to make up for it. [/barrioslogic]

"unsure why the ancient law had never been repealed."

Add to this the one about nothing greater than .38 at night and the one about .22 rimfire.

Arrrrrrrrrrgh!

We still have a number of laws in MA which date from colonial Puritan (religious fundamentalist zealot) history.

You're supposed to be in church on Sunday, heathen!

mAss Backwards said:
So, surely, mandatory church attendance legislation is next on the agenda for Jarrett "Everything I Know About Firearms I Learned By Watching CHiPs" Barrios.
[laugh2] [laugh2] [laugh2]

Jarrett must have gotten his ass kicked daily growing up. [rofl]

hminsky said:
We still have a number of laws in MA which date from colonial Puritan (religious fundamentalist zealot) history.

You're supposed to be in church on Sunday, heathen!

I do believe that there's still a law on the books that states you must bring your musket to church with you....and yes, that's another colonial law.

Lynne said:
I do believe that there's still a law on the books that states you must bring your musket to church with you....and yes, that's another colonial law.

Does it say anything about synagogue? [devil]

From GOAL's website.

By mysterious circumstances H.4517 "An Act to Allow Hunting on Sunday" was not allowed to be released favorably by the Public Safety Committee. On May 4, 2006 the House took up a vote to accept an "ADVERSE" report from the committee. When GOAL inquired as to why the report suddenly changed we were informed that the "Favorable" report never reached the House Clerks office and they automatically issued an adverse report instead.
In an effort to save the bill, Rep. Anne Gobi offered a motion that put the bill into the Natural Resources Committee. Even though this will technically keep the bill alive, a Sunday Hunting bill is not likely to come out of this committee.

We are also probably one of the few dry towns, and everytime it is brought up for liquor to be sold here it gets voted down. That goes back to when the town first came about.

I'm confused...

I was just over at the GOAL website and read this:
H.4517 "An Act to Allow Hunting on Sunday Within the Commonwealth"

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:
SECTION 1: Section 57 of Chapter 131 of the General Laws is hereby repealed.

Link here;http://goal.org/news/sundayhunting.htm

So if it's repealed, hunting on Sundays is OK ? Not that I'm going out for turkeys Sunday, Mass Wildlif'e offices closed at 4:30 so I can't call until Monday.

When I click on the link to track the bill it appears the bill has been ;
05/04/06 H Referred to the committee on Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture
and next;
05/08/06 S Senate concurred

It's as clear as mud.[thinking]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom