Hopkinton USPSA Season Opener, Sat April 5th

Note to all of the folks who stayed for a few extra minutes to help clear the bays and put away the props. - Big help - Thank You! Look forward to seeing you all again.
Cheers
Bob

Yes, that is always greatly appreciated.

Big recognition has to go to our Match Director (and USPSA Grand Master shooter) Jay Hirshberg. He put in a tone of time and effort to make these matches happen.

I'm glad you all enjoyed it. We hope to see you all on May 10th.

For those on squad 5 who were wondering what happened on that last stage, it turns out I did have a squib. Neither the RO or I thought it was a squib because it didn't sound or feel like one. Luckily it was far enough back in the barrel to prevent the next round from chambering. I'm sure I'll have nightmares for the next few nights about what would have happened if it was just a little further down the barrel.

I was holding your video camera/phone. I also didn't notice anything unusual about the shot. Glad the squib didn't cause anything worse than that. I'd be interested to find out what that sounded like on video.

A no shoot is a -10. So you might just skip on the risky target and take the 10 seconds penalty if you are not sure of yourself ?
You not have a shot at doing well if you leave targets unengaged out of fear of shooting a non belligerent.

The one exception is a disappearing target (sometimes called bonus targets). Targets that are only exposed to the shooter for a brief period of time and disappear do not incur a -10 for a miss or failure to engage. It is sometimes wise to leave these unengaged, or use a strategy that creates a risk of missing one (for example, hitting the steel that starts the mover, engaging a stationary target or two, then going back for the mover). You should always make sure the stage briefing specifies a targets as "disappearing" as the match director's idea of disappearing and yours may differ. A common stage designer trick is to have a target leave the upper A zone visible behind a noshoot at rest to prevent it from being a disappearing/bonus target.

for those that couldn't make it here's what the stages looked like courtesy of doctorbossman who reminded me to hand over my eyePhone before my run on each stage. I find video of my runs to be immensely helpful (and oft embarrassing) because I seem to blackout the entire period between "BEEP" and "IF CLEAR....." [sad2]. Come one come all and watch in horror as I nearly disassemble a full mag on Stage 3 while trying to reload! CZ really needs taller floorplate buttons on their mags[thinking]

[video=youtube_share;AmWVlZC5Bpg]http://youtu.be/AmWVlZC5Bpg[/video]

Now you guys can stop saying I'm a sandbagger, that was my first (unverified) Master classifier score.
86.28% per comcalc

Those in my squad may remember I shot that out of turn so I could run up to the clubhouse to pinch a loaf. I may have discovered how to perform at the peak of my ability...

If being on the verge of "downloading the brown file" made me a better shooter, I would certainly be a GM.
-Craig

We had a great time this weekend and look forward to the next one. Thanks to all the experienced shooters for helping us first timers. It looks so simple before the beep, then I can't count past two, get lost in a box, and can't remember where I put my magazines 10 seconds ago.

My son shooting stage 3:

[video=youtube_share;_MnFNU4mAOA]http://youtu.be/_MnFNU4mAOA[/video]

for those that couldn't make it here's what the stages looked like courtesy of doctorbossman who reminded me to hand over my eyePhone before my run on each stage. I find video of my runs to be immensely helpful (and oft embarrassing) because I seem to blackout the entire period between "BEEP" and "IF CLEAR....." [sad2]. Come one come all and watch in horror as I nearly disassemble a full mag on Stage 3 while trying to reload! CZ really needs taller floorplate buttons on their mags[thinking]

Man that CZ needs a good spanking...wait you did that already! [smile]

Great shooting!
It seems tough but looks like a good time.
Do you load your own rounds?

Great shooting!
It seems tough but looks like a good time.
Do you load your own rounds?

thanks, not one of my better days but still a good day out shooting [thumbsup]

I do load my own rounds, got into that at the same time I started USPSA 3yrs ago. The load should be ok for the gun, every round was chamber checked and inspected, and I know other guys that use the same bullet/powder combo in this model gun. I'm leaning toward a combo of the extractor being too tight and less than ideal mag feed lips as the cause of what happened on Stage 5. Did some more tuning last night so we'll find out tomorrow night at practice if the issue is fixed. I'll figure it out, and the trigger on the CZ is soooo nice, worth the trouble of working through the issue.

Some of the stages can look intimidating, all that running around and targets that move, but most people that have been shooting handguns regularly for 6mo or more could handle it. I said it in a previous post on this thread - you don't HAVE to shoot fast, you don't HAVE to run. If you see a Texas Star and you're not having luck with it then simply leave it and move on to the static targets. Unless you're the next Max Michel you're not going to be in the running to win your first few matches so don't try to. Your goal out of the gate is to not get DQ'd, to do everything deliberately and safely....and to not scare the RO [wink]....and to have FUN [party]

Back
Top Bottom